Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing incandescent bulb on Pioneer LD player with led. Need help :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing incandescent bulb on Pioneer LD player with led. Need help :)

I have a pioneer dvl-909 LD/dvd player from 1998. It has a light on the front panel that lights up when you play a dvd. I removed the bulb and it appears to be a tiny incandescent bulb. Its measures "open"/dead and the bulb is black like it's blown. The socket it fits into measures 5v. I've looked up the schematics and there's no indication of the amperage. I don't want to spend any money on new parts, but I have a pack of like 100, 3v, 20ma LEDs and I have various resistors.
    Is there a way for me to determine the amperage going to the old dead bulb with my multimeter?
    I don't mind blowing a few of these LEDs, but I don't want to damage the player's circuitry. What LED, resistor combination should I use?
    Thanks!

Re: Replacing incandescent bulb on Pioneer LD player with led. Need help

The schematic seems to show the bulb with a diode (led) icon, but it looks like an incandescent bulb...
    Attached Files

Comment

Lamp VEL1022, the same style is used in car dashboards called T3 or T4.2 or T4.7 depending on OD. So it has a base and might be a 5V grain of wheat lamp like used in model trains.
      I'd replace it with a white 3mm or T-1 size LED plus 100Ω series dropping resistor if you cut a PCB trace. Or scavenge an LED out of some junk. You can remove the bulb from the base if you want to fit it in that. I'd just solder it to the board.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
        Lamp VEL1022, the same style is used in car dashboards called T3 or T4.2 or T4.7 depending on OD. So it has a base and might be a 5V grain of wheat lamp like used in model trains.
        I'd replace it with a white 3mm or T-1 size LED plus 100Ω series dropping resistor if you cut a PCB trace. Or scavenge an LED out of some junk. You can remove the bulb from the base if you want to fit it in that. I'd just solder it to the board.
        Excellent! Thank you.

Comment

When I do LED conversions I use a LED driver something like an AL5809 etc. It keeps the guesswork or calculating the proper resistance for the dropper resistor out of mind plus you can use much higher voltage rails too. Makes it very convenient and efficient. Whatever anyone prefers, I guess…

Comment

Working...
          X