Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony XBR-65X900E 4 Blink Code

Hi,
    I have this set. It turns on and is watchable for a few minutes but then shuts off and flashes 4 red lights.

I don't work on Sony much but assumed it was backlights from what I read.

Opened up the TV and tested all the backlights with led tester and the all work.

I know sometimes that doesn't mean anything since it's not running at full current but I hate to spend $120 on backlights (shopjimmy) is the only one that even has them just to find out I missed something.

So anyway to test these lights similar to the way we test Samsung by unplugging the main board from the power board.

Re: Sony XBR-65X900E 4 Blink Code

a couple things here, there's a bunch more on youtube basically doing the same thing as Nick's ground out there, I'm not sure if the protections on these xbr's are over sensitive or what, hopefully all the people doing this bypass are not in danger of the tv catching on fire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3VRvQUB_DQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxZHoimSvOU
    Last edited by nomoresonys; 12-31-2022, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the videos. I did see those, but in the comments nick says this doesn’t work in this model # and to replace leds. and the other video the guy doesn’t say backlights. He mentions no picture, not sure if it’s backlight related, and has a red blinking light on his board where he did the mod. . Mine doesn’t have the red light blinking.

I can try the second video method just not sure if it will work. I guess it doesn’t cost anything to try. Just wanted to get some opinions from you guys

Comment

More than one LED set in series ? Did they all measure the same voltage ?
        No bench power supply to test the LEDs with sufficient current ?

Comment

No bench power supply. Only led tester.
          all voltage measured the same. When i test the lights only 3 leds light up per test point. Buy they all light up

I have to say this is the craziest designed set I have seen for the backlights. The way they arrange them and the way all the cables run all over the place and under some led strips.

Sorry no photos. My phone camera broke and I’m waiting for a replacement. I’ll provide pics in a day or 2

Comment

you need to draw out the strips line and led bl socket to understand how they are divided... so you will go to replace only defect led part

Comment

How do I determine only affected part of led? They all light up with tester. Can I power tv on without the screen to see if any leds are faulty under load.

I know I can with Samsung and LG. Every sony I’ve ever got was a bad main board Emmc failure.

Comment

You have bad leds probably, but instead if the leds groups are controlled singolarily (local dimming) it's less probable, but the photos now are mandatory to see if there is an high voltage booster etc..

Comment

Originally posted by Storyteller12 View Post
                  How do I determine only affected part of led? They all light up with tester. Can I power tv on without the screen to see if any leds are faulty under load.

I know I can with Samsung and LG. Every sony I’ve ever got was a bad main board Emmc failure.
                  I hear that, I wouldn't be surprised if it was another bad emmc, maybe test a bunch of those little caps around it for shorts or an off ohm reading.

Comment

Sorry for the delay. Life got in the way.

Here are pics of the led array and back of the tv with the boards.

Also I made some progress and found to e bad leds as mentioned above.

If you unplug the LV board I think it is. Then plug the tv in it does a test pattern with the leds.

I found 3 out under load.

These leds measure 11.9v, Essentially 12v.

Where to buy single 12v led to replace just the bad ones?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Nice work, I see you have 9 rows, my XBR-65X900C is edge lit from the bottom, only one edge too, wouldn't think there would be that much difference with only the last letter in the model different.

Comment

Yes, it’s a if difference between the 2. But whatever engineer designed this thing should be fired.

Comment

lol^^^^I agree 1000%

Comment

Why do you tell this? It's not a normal back light is a local dimming , it's for a better lighting.. how it works the test pattern? it is tested each led at a time and 3 doesn't light up? since the capacitors for the output are 63v i guess not only a led is fed at a time.. 12v per led means them are chip leds with 4 leds inside.. this is strange.. no idea why..

Comment

The test pattern lights up a few rows vertically and then alternate the other rows. I’m guessing to verify the local dimming feature works, then Lights up all leds. If they all work it stays lit.

Update I wired in 4 leds (3v each for total of 12v) to fix the backlight issue as a temp solution and the lights now work and stay lit during test. Sadly It still cuts off and blinks 4 red lights after reconnecting the LD board to the main board.

I’m beginning to think it may be main board issue now.

Comment

maybe also make sure the proper voltage is leaving the dps board like Nick here on this 930D, not same model but same concept: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaCl8J1pPd8
                                Last edited by nomoresonys; 01-06-2023, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Update. Tv is fixed. Had to replace all the led strips.

I installed temporary leds where the bad ones were to test and it lit up and passed Sonys test mode but it still didn’t work when powered on. Very strange but Sonys backlights are very sensitive and need exact volt/amps to work properly it appears.

Comment

yep, that's probably whats causing a lot of the issues with these xbr-xx X models, wonder if theres a way to tone down the sensitivity.

Comment

I'm having the same issue with our XBR-55X900F. Powers on, starts the android animation, goes black with 4 red led flashes. Is replacing the led strips the only way to fix this one? I have no idea how to get the panel of if that is the case.

Comment

ok, this one appears to be solved. @my2k2, can you post some good straight on pictures of each board and one of the whole back, as to see how everything is connected.
                                        Last edited by nomoresonys; 01-18-2023, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X