Surface Pro 7 no picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surface Pro 7 no picture

While writing in onenote, the display on my Surface Pro 7 just froze up with thick lines of digital noise covering a large part of the screen. The display had acted weird with rare but reoccuring graphical anomalies for about a year prior. After restarting the computer it can't get past the Microsoft boot logo. Video output using the USB-C port is completely fine, but although it lists two displays, windows settings shows the built-in display as greyed out (shouldn't a disconnected monitor just not show up?).

Here is what I've tried: All types of force-restarting, draining battery, booting to BIOS (can't display it)

I suspect part of the display is broken for some reason, but what puzzles me is the boot logo. Obviously the LCD isn't completely dead if it can display the logo without problems. What I'm wondering now is what part of the computer is responsible for showing the Microsoft boot logo on the display?
    1. Is it the OS or BIOS? (In this case, this would mean the screen can accept a signal and display it, right?)
    2. Is it programmed into the display board shown in this guide (step 26-29)?

In the second case, I suspect a screen replacement wouldn't necessarily resolve anything if the display board is broken?

Re: Surface Pro 7 no picture

On Surface devices, it continues to display the logo even if the processor is completely removed. The logo is given by a different integrated independent from the video card and bios. That's why the logo appears even if the bios is faulty.
    The steps on the ifixit page belong to the touch module. It has nothing to do with the graphics card.
    Last edited by ahmypc; 01-15-2023, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ahmypc View Post
      On Surface devices, it continues to display the logo even if the processor is completely removed. The logo is given by a different integrated independent from the video card and bios. That's why the logo appears even if the bios is faulty.
      The steps on the ifixit page belong to the touch module. It has nothing to do with the graphics card.
      Thanks for the help! If you know, is there anything between the motherboard and display you suspect may have failed? My only relevant option before I need this computer again would probably be the display assembly replacement shown on ifixit, and if that doesn't fix it I wouldn't want to waste 200€ on unnecessary parts.

Comment

I've seen a faulty lcd that only shows the logo. You need to try with a different LCD to be sure. If it gives the same problem with a different LCD, we can say that the internal video card unit has failed.

Comment

Working...
        X