X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post your system.......

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
    I think ASUS cripples down the BIOS on microATX boards. At least I can only find AI overclocking but that's about it. Also I'm on stock cooling...
    I know that back in the single-core era, Asus liked to severely cripple their micro-ATX motherboards. Especially models that end with "-VM".
    (Locks you out of virtually everything!)
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 02-28-2017, 02:31 PM.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I think ASUS cripples down the BIOS on microATX boards. At least I can only find AI overclocking but that's about it. Also I'm on stock cooling...
      I usually go for the screw-mount heatsinks that also use a backplate...
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Just did a few upgrades again.

Also,replaced the stock heatsink finally. It's some Acer/Foxconn heatsink that comes with a backplate.

Specs:

ASUS P5QL PRO w/ Xeon BIOS
        2GB RAM
        Radeon R7 240 2GB DDR3
        Pentium E5200 2.5GHz
        Allied AL-A400ATX 120mm
        2x H-L Data Storage DVD-RW drives
        1TB Samsung HD103SI 5400RPM SATA II HDD
        AVerMedia AVerTV Super 009 TV tuner
        Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
        Delux MG760 case (BMW-styled case made out of Zinc.)

Attached Files
        Main rig:
        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
        Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
        16GB DDR3-1600
        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
        FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
        120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Carrie called, she wants her computer case back
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
            Carrie called, she wants her computer case back
            Lies,Chuckie brought me the case himself.
            Main rig:
            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
            16GB DDR3-1600
            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
            Delux MG760 case

Comment

^ Lol, what's with all the red paint inside the case? Or is that blood from someone cutting their fingers on the cheap case?
              ... Or perhaps this came from some place where there was a zombie apocalypse?

Anyways, good build, though. Looks like you finally have a pretty decent system now.

I've taken pictures of a few of my rigs. Will share soon when I have time. They are all ratchet / laughing stock, but they serve me well for now.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                ^ Lol, what's with all the red paint inside the case? Or is that blood from someone cutting their fingers on the cheap case?
                ... Or perhaps this came from some place where there was a zombie apocalypse?

Anyways, good build, though. Looks like you finally have a pretty decent system now.

I've taken pictures of a few of my rigs. Will share soon when I have time. They are all ratchet / laughing stock, but they serve me well for now.
                It was some failed case mod - I had an red spray paint can that was past its expiry date and using it quite gave that result. I didn't bother to paint the metal chassis again so I just painted the plastics (front panel and top handle (since this case has a handle) and the side panels and left the chassis like that.

Also it's not that bad. Unlike every case on the market that is made out of thin tin,I was told this thing was built using Zinc,and just the case itself (without anything in it) was heavy as hell.
                Main rig:
                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                16GB DDR3-1600
                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                Delux MG760 case

Comment

Finally stuck a drive(that actually works) in my Dell Inspiron E6520.

160GB HDD(maybe temp)
                  everything else is stock

Service Tag: CTXH4R1
                  Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                  RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                  Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                  - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                  - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                  - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                  - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Just did a few upgrades again.

Also,replaced the stock heatsink finally. It's some Acer/Foxconn heatsink that comes with a backplate.

Specs:

ASUS P5QL PRO w/ Xeon BIOS
                    2GB RAM
                    Radeon R7 240 2GB DDR3
                    Pentium E5200 2.5GHz
                    Allied AL-A400ATX 120mm
                    2x H-L Data Storage DVD-RW drives
                    1TB Samsung HD103SI 5400RPM SATA II HDD
                    AVerMedia AVerTV Super 009 TV tuner
                    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
                    Delux MG760 case (BMW-styled case made out of Zinc.)

The Asus P5QL Pro was the motherboard I used to have. From September 24, 2008 to February 11, 2013, it was my best motherboard in service!

I first had a Pentium E2180. (Core 2 Duo-based and 65nm) (Also a Conroe)

On August 17, 2009, I dropped a 2007 Core 2 Duo "Conroe" E4500 (65nm) onto the Asus P5QL Pro motherboard. And probably during the tail end of 2012, was when it got a Core 2 Duo "Wolfdale" E8400 (45nm) in there!
                    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-26-2017, 05:27 PM.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Just did a rebuild of my main rig after the death of key components:

Intel i7-3770
                      16GB of RAM (4x4)
                      MSI B75MA-P45
                      ASUS GTX 660 Ti DirectCU (2GB DDR5)
                      Seasonic S12II-620 PSU
                      2x1TB HDD (Seagate and Western Digital)
                      1x500GB (Western Digital)
                      ASUS DVD-RW
                      Antec 300 Case
                      CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
                      GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti / GTS 450

Main Driver: Intel i7 3770 | Asus P8H61-MX | MSI GTS 450 | 8GB of NO NAME DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) | 1TB SATA HDD (W.D. Blue) | ASUS DVD-RW | 22" HP Compaq LE2202x (1920x1080) | Seasonic S12II-620 PSU | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

Comment

I got this system from a dumpster. Anyone know what GPU should I replace the MX440 with?

ASUS P4B533
                        1GB RAM
                        80GB HDD
                        300W Deer DR-A300ATX
                        GF4 MX440 64MB
                        JNC case w/multicolor leds
                        Pentium 4 2.8GHz Northwood core
                        Pioneer DVD-117 DVD-ROM
                        3com 10/100 NIC
                        Windows 2000 SP4
                        Main rig:
                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                        16GB DDR3-1600
                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

I got this system from a dumpster. Anyone know what GPU should I replace the MX440 with?

ASUS P4B533
                          1GB RAM
                          80GB HDD
                          300W Deer DR-A300ATX
                          GF4 MX440 64MB
                          Pioneer DVD-117 DVD-ROM
                          3com 10/100 NIC
                          Windows 2000 SP4
                          MX440 is an AGP card , so you don't have Pci Express slots . Anyway , I would go for VisionTek Radeon 3450 , because it can support directx 10 .

Here's a web link where you can choose :
                          https://www.lifewire.com/best-agp-graphics-cards-834107

Comment

I finally got around to using my AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 CPU!

Just in case anyone still remembers... YES, this is indeed that CPU with the broken pins that I posted about several years ago in the Ghetto Mods thread:
                            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...5&postcount=54

It took me a few tries to get the CPU going, mainly because a few years back, I tested it in a motherboard that had gel flux in the CPU socket, so the flux had some of the pins slightly corroded. But after cleaning the pins and testing the CPU in various motherboards to try to figure out why they wouldn't detect it, eventually it did come back to life. I now have it in my "Team Red" ATI-AMD 64 classic gaming PC. And boy, that CPU flies! Windows XP is extremely snappy. Even internet browsing is fine, despite this being a single-core, single threaded CPU.

Then again, this is after all one of the fastest single-core CPUs one can buy (and certainly the fastest for Socket 939).

After the upgrade, though, I did have to use a lower-TDP GPU in that PC. The FX-57 is a 105 Watt TDP CPU, and I am using a 250 Watt HiPro with 16 Amps rating on the 12V rail. There was no way I could keep my HD3870 in there with that CPU, because that would require 210 Watts on the 12V rail (and that's without factoring the HDD or anything else). I was already close to maxing out the PSU's 12V rail even with the AMD Athlon 64 3500+ that was in there before the FX-57. So that PC is still not quite finished yet. But I do have some work-in-progress pictures... just need to get them off my camera and organize them a bit. I've been a bit sloppy with file management lately.

It was some failed case mod - I had an red spray paint can that was past its expiry date and using it quite gave that result.
                            Lol. That mod actually turned out awesome, though. You now have a proper Halloween-themed PC.

Also it's not that bad. Unlike every case on the market that is made out of thin tin,I was told this thing was built using Zinc,and just the case itself (without anything in it) was heavy as hell.
                            I doubt it is purely made of Zinc. Zinc is rather hard and brittle. Probably just thicker steel.

ASUS P4B533
                            1GB RAM
                            80GB HDD
                            300W Deer DR-A300ATX
                            GF4 MX440 64MB
                            Pioneer DVD-117 DVD-ROM
                            3com 10/100 NIC
                            Windows 2000 SP4
                            Well, the question is, what do you want to do with that PC? General internet browser? Or just a classic gaming PC?

I personally wouldn't use a Pentium 4 CPU without HT for an internet browser, because the P4 architecture will struggle without HT on just about every website. If you do want to use it as an internet browser, then I suggest going with a GeForce 6 or 7 series video cards, because those support H.264 and will off-load the CPU quite a bit on flash/video-heavy websites. An alternative to the GF 6 and 7 series are the ATI HD3x00 series, as those are the first generation of cards that offer somewhat better H.264 decoding/encoding.

Otherwise, if you are building a classic gaming PC, something like an older mid/high-end AGP GPU like the GeForce4 ti4400/4600 or Radeon 9500/9600/9700/9800 would do quite alright. If you can find one of these for cheap, definitely snatch it - the value of those video cards has gone up quite a bit in the last several years. And it will go up probably even more as AGP gets older and older. Just look up the price of any VooDoo video card now, and you might get an understanding.
                            Last edited by momaka; 04-01-2017, 07:47 PM.

Comment

I doubt it is purely made of Zinc. Zinc is rather hard and brittle. Probably just thicker steel.
                              My bad. It's actually galvanized steel. (which I think it has Zinc in its composition)

Well, the question is, what do you want to do with that PC? General internet browser? Or just a classic gaming PC?

I personally wouldn't use a Pentium 4 CPU without HT for an internet browser, because the P4 architecture will struggle without HT on just about every website. If you do want to use it as an internet browser, then I suggest going with a GeForce 6 or 7 series video cards, because those support H.264 and will off-load the CPU quite a bit on flash/video-heavy websites. An alternative to the GF 6 and 7 series are the ATI HD3x00 series, as those are the first generation of cards that offer somewhat better H.264 decoding/encoding.

Otherwise, if you are building a classic gaming PC, something like an older mid/high-end AGP GPU like the GeForce4 ti4400/4600 or Radeon 9500/9600/9700/9800 would do quite alright. If you can find one of these for cheap, definitely snatch it - the value of those video cards has gone up quite a bit in the last several years. And it will go up probably even more as AGP gets older and older. Just look up the price of any VooDoo video card now, and you might get an understanding.
                              I might source a Radeon 9500 or any of these. One of my friends runs a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 w/ FX5200 as his daily driver (he couldn't afford anything better) and Firefox 50 and Youtube ran okay,without stuttering. I have to mention,it has a 2GB DDR400 Kingston KVR stick in it,so that may be the reason internet browsing was pretty easy for him on that P4.
                              Last edited by Dan81; 04-01-2017, 10:29 PM.
                              Main rig:
                              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                              16GB DDR3-1600
                              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                              Delux MG760 case

Comment

My bad. It's actually galvanized steel. (which I think it has Zinc in its composition)
                                It does, galvanized steel is steel that is dipped in molten zinc (or in some cases electroplated) to provide a corrosion resistant coating.

Comment

yea that makes much more sense. last i checked the commodity prices of base metals in the stock market, zinc is half the cost of copper per pound and more expensive per pound than lead or aluminium. a full zinc case might end up getting stolen by thieves lol...

Comment

Just recently upgraded to Skylake from Haswell, and from mini-ITX to microATX at the same time, as i figure it'll be the last 7 box for me. Just did a test clone of 7 to a fresh SSD and it migrated cleanly over, with just a reactivation needed since all the hardware changed.

So far i've been impressed by Skylake's overclocking ability and cooler temps relative to Haswell, with roughly equivalent cooling. So far seeing CPU temps about 15 to 20 C cooler relative to Haswell when redlined in latest version of Prime95 with 200MHz minimum clock speed advantage .

Core i5 6600K (4.5GHz in single/dual, 4.2GHz in triple/Quad) , + 100mV Vcore offset, so peaks about 1.27V in single/dual mode.
                                    Asrock Z270M Pro4 microATX Z270 motherboard
                                    16GB (2x8GB) Crucial DDR4-2133
                                    Sapphire RX480+ 8GB videocard
                                    Samsung 850Pro 512GB SATA boot SSD
                                    Samsung 850Evo 500GB SATA SSD
                                    Samsung 750Evo 500GB SATA SSD
                                    Crucial MX300 750GB SATA SSD
                                    Samsung XP941 M.2 X4 128GB PCIe SSD
                                    Intel 600p M2 M.2 X4 512GB NVMe SSD
                                    Seagate 4TB 7200 HDD
                                    Hitachi 3TB 7200 HDD
                                    Seasonic M12II 520W Bronze PSU
                                    Cooler Master N200 microATX chassis.
                                    LG bluray burner
                                    PCIe x1 addon card for 4X SATA ports
                                    120mm Tower CPU cooler, i forget the brand, but replaced the stock fan with a decent Noctua fan, 3000 RPM max, but it doesn't get hot enough to run the fan 100%.

I'll probably eventually throw in a 2X hotswap 2.5" bay in it, and use a couple more of the SATA card ports.

Comment

Originally posted by gg1978 View Post
                                      Just recently upgraded to Skylake from Haswell, and from mini-ITX to microATX at the same time, as i figure it'll be the last 7 box for me. Just did a test clone of 7 to a fresh SSD and it migrated cleanly over, with just a reactivation needed since all the hardware changed.

So far i've been impressed by Skylake's overclocking ability and cooler temps relative to Haswell, with roughly equivalent cooling.
                                      If you really like Skylake, then Kaby Lake shall really rock!
                                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

My systems as of now:

Main rig:

ASUS P5QL PRO
                                        Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.5GHz
                                        2GB RAM
                                        Windows 7 x64
                                        Delux MG760 case (galvanized steel)
                                        2x H-L DVD-RW (IDE)
                                        Radeon R7 240 2GB PCI-E
                                        AVerMedia AVerTV M733A TV Tuner (PCI, Phillips based)
                                        1TB Samsung HD103SI
                                        Allied AL-A400ATX 120mm PSU (recapped)

2nd:
                                        ECS G31T-M7 v1.0 (poly caps from factory on VRM, OST on RAM and other low power stuff)
                                        Pentium Dual Core E5300 2.6GHz
                                        1GB RAM
                                        Windows XP SP3
                                        Delux MT375 case
                                        1x LiteOn DVD-RW
                                        Samsung HD161JJ 160GB SATA HDD
                                        Delux ATX-450W P4 PSU (recapped)

3rd:
                                        ASUS P4B533 (recapped)
                                        Pentium 4 2.8GHz (Northwood)
                                        1GB RAM
                                        Windows XP SP3
                                        JNC FQ-70 case
                                        1x H-L DVD-RW (white bezel)
                                        Radeon HD3450 AGP 512MB
                                        80GB WDC WD800BB IDE
                                        L&C LC-B350ATX (recapped, thick heatsinks)

4th:
                                        Gigabyte GA-8I848P-G (recapped with Rubycon MBZs)
                                        Pentium 4 2.8GHz
                                        512MB RAM
                                        Windows 7 Ultimate x86
                                        JNC RJA52 case
                                        1x Samsung DVD-RW
                                        Palit GForce FX5500 256MB AGP
                                        80GB WDC WD800JB HDD
                                        Modecom FEEL-400ATX (Deer built - recapped with Rubycon MBZ)

5th:
                                        Biostar P4M80-M4
                                        Celeron 2GHz Northwood
                                        512MB RAM
                                        Windows XP SP3
                                        JNC 4JA-52 case
                                        1x Sony CRX-300E DVD-ROM
                                        ABIT Siluro FX5200 64MB
                                        80GB Hitachi SATA HDD (laptop drive)
                                        no PSU yet
                                        Main rig:
                                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                        16GB DDR3-1600
                                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Main box consists of

Striker extreme main board
                                          Intel quad core extreme clocked at 3.2gig
                                          cosair 1200 watt psu
                                          16 gig ram
                                          2 x gtx780ti (SLI)
                                          250 gig ssd system
                                          2 tb data drive
                                          Win 7 professional
                                          2 LG optical drives

I am not sure what brand the tower is

Comment

Working...
                                          X