Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RCUnlocker

Originally posted by stars-n-dust View Post
    yes, files are different, but after installing the new ec chip, laptop won't power on.
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 04-01-2023, 01:44 PM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
    Become a Badcaps supporter
    >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
    Thanks to all supporters.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Comment

Originally posted by HUMDRUM View Post
      I'm doing lots of research and getting better understanding of what is going on.
      Hp 840 G3
      Need computrace removal.
      I was told Ch341a would burn bios chip.
      Is there a way I can just replace chip and remove computrace,I only ask because I need to work on my solder skills a little more.
      Or would you recommend I use ch341a to read bin file?
      I'll do either , but what I'm trying to make sure if I just replace chips no more computrace?
      not burn bios chip.. rather the 5 volt issue and clipping it could burn PCH or circuit.. also if the volts on the chip is 1.8 the circuit is 1.8 vs 5v .likely

if you clean the NVRAM VSS section fully.. its all gone.. hp bios config utility or NBDMIFIT would be needed after.
      first u need to make backup of the chip..
      Last edited by LatinMcG; 01-27-2022, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slightly_delayed View Post
        Hi there!
        I'm trying to "desolder" a Macronix (MXIC) MX25L12873FZNI from a HP 820 G3 motherboard.
        Even after applying 30 secs of 500° C from a heat-gun I can't move or remove the IC (plastic around already melting).
        Could there be any other fixation like a glue or anything else?
        If any - how to get rid of this?
        Sorry to quote my own post, but no reaction to it so far...
        I found a similar prob over there "HP Elitebook 820 G3 BIOS problem" - https://www.win-raid.com/t5811f13-HP...html#msg102513:
        "I wanted to desolder the chip, but it was bonden(in the middle)with resin to the pcb, that's why it is demaged finally."

So is there any easy way to "unbond" the IC (i.e. get rid of the resin between chip and pcb)?

I don't want to burn down the (damage) the mainboard with too much and too long applied heat ....

MTX for your help/ideas....

Comment

Some BIOS's allow to set a user with password. For example the HP EliteBook 840 has this feature.
          Will this tool clear user passwords in the BIOS?

Comment

Originally posted by doa379 View Post
            Some BIOS's allow to set a user with password. For example the HP EliteBook 840 has this feature.
            Will this tool clear user passwords in the BIOS?
            did you read post # 1 ???
            Due to a lack of donations, server free space at a critical level, and possible closure of Bios Requests all donations are welcome, click:

>>>>> https://www.badcaps.net/index.php?pageid=donate1 <<<<<

Every donation made will go towards server fees and maintenance costs.

Comment

Originally posted by peste View Post
              did you read post # 1 ???
              Post #1 does not address the question. The question is about User accounts and passwords in the BIOS.

Originally posted by RethoricalCheese View Post
              This is a multitool and unlocker for several series of laptops. Works on Windows. No python etc installing needed, all included in package. Everything is tested by myself but since every laptop is not made equally, there might be edge cases. Always VERIFY your file after reading!!!

Unlocking
              HP - ProBook, EliteBook, ZBook (including 32MB models)
              Chromebooks from all various manufacturers
              Apple - everything older than T2
              More to come...

Information display (helps to verify file integrity)
              HP - ProBook, EliteBook, ZBook (up to 16MB models for now)

Custom logo removal
              HP - ProBook, EliteBook, ZBook (up to 16MB models for now)

Usage: Drag and drop .bin file to .exe file.

In case there are problems with unlocking your laptop, write a short description of the issue, upload original file and if possible, _unlocked.bin file aswell. Just crying for help is useless. Keep the topic as clean as possible.

You may ask for feature requests, I'll see what I can do.
              Last edited by SMDFlea; 02-01-2022, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Sorry to quote my own post, but no reaction to it so far...
                I found a similar prob over there "HP Elitebook 820 G3 BIOS problem" - https://www.win-raid.com/t5811f13-HP...html#msg102513:
                "I wanted to desolder the chip, but it was bonden(in the middle)with resin to the pcb, that's why it is demaged finally."

So is there any easy way to "unbond" the IC (i.e. get rid of the resin between chip and pcb)?

I don't want to burn down the (damage) the mainboard with too much and too long applied heat ....

Sorry to quote myself again...

So, what did I do/try till since my last post:

- I applied small amounts of [assumingly] resin-dissolving liquid (isopropanol).
                - I tried to cut through the resin-based junction of pcb and chip with a razor-blade.

I'm not aware of any effects (or even success)...

- I again tried desoldering with the heat-gun for at least 30 seconds, only effect: shrinking label nearby...

I'd really appreciate any fruitful suggestion on how to proceed...

And yes - I read resp. anticipate
                Korreia's - "HP EliteBook 820 G3 - Reading BIOS" https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=99533 regarding winbond-chip and others on 820 G3, but still no "viable solution" for the bonded macronix-variant...

TIA

Comment

Hi,
                  i have lenovo chromebook 10e. its locked by the organisation can someone please unlock the bios remove the lock please.
                  i tried to rc unlocker but didn't work looks like there is issue with C++. the previous hp unlocker tool works perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by magictouch View Post
                    hi,
                    i have lenovo chromebook 10e. Its locked by the organisation can someone please unlock the bios remove the lock please.
                    I tried to rc unlocker but didn't work looks like there is issue with c++. The previous hp unlocker tool works perfect.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
                    Become a Badcaps supporter
                    >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
                    Thanks to all supporters.
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Comment

I seem to be having a problem un-rar'ing the download. I can open the file with Ark and LXQt File Archiver, and see various files and folders, but it won't extract completely.

I can manually 'dig in' and pull some files out to the Desktop individually, including RCUnlocker.exe, but many files inside the /lib/encodings/ folder give rise to errors if any attempt to move/extract them is made e.g. 'Failed to execute the command'. 'Extraction failed, make sure that enough space is available'.

A few files that seem to give rise to the issue: big5hkscs,pyc, cp037.pyc, cp1006.pyc.. many more in that folder.

I've redownloaded and tried a few different times, not sure what I might be doing wrong?

Comment

Why not winrar?

Comment

Not listed in my linux package manager. I'll flip to Windows & try it there.

EDIT - Used Winrar on Windows instead of Ark on Linux, everything extracted just fine. Thanks :-)
                          Last edited by dualtrace; 02-02-2022, 01:49 PM. Reason: success

Comment

I don't think it's resin between the IC and the board.. the Winbond WSON8 chips have a big fat ground plane in the middle of the chip that mates with a big copper land on the PCB, and that when soldered together takes a big quantity of heat to melt.

Advice seems to be, not to worry too much about temperature and I must admit the one chip I've tried desoldering, I thought with 100% certainty I'd fried. But it turned out to read fine.

A few people have posted that appropriate heat from the underside of the PCB, right under where the chip is, before hot air desoldering from the top, helps a lot.

I'm playing around with a multimeter/thermocouple, a plasma cutter ceramic shroud, a car 12V cigar lighter element, and an adjustable DC PSU at the moment to try to create a cost effective tool to focus controllable heat under the PCB right where it's needed, without blasting too much heat all over the back of the board. Also bought a bunch of scrap motherboards with WSON style ICs for soldering practice before doing the real machine.

Comment

Originally posted by dualtrace View Post
                              I don't think it's resin between the IC and the board.. the Winbond WSON8 chips have a big fat ground plane in the middle of the chip that mates with a big copper land on the PCB, and that when soldered together takes a big quantity of heat to melt.

Advice seems to be, not to worry too much about temperature and I must admit the one chip I've tried desoldering, I thought with 100% certainty I'd fried. But it turned out to read fine.

A few people have posted that appropriate heat from the underside of the PCB, right under where the chip is, before hot air desoldering from the top, helps a lot.

I'm playing around with a multimeter/thermocouple, a plasma cutter ceramic shroud, a car 12V cigar lighter element, and an adjustable DC PSU at the moment to try to create a cost effective tool to focus controllable heat under the PCB right where it's needed, without blasting too much heat all over the back of the board. Also bought a bunch of scrap motherboards with WSON style ICs for soldering practice before doing the real machine.
                              Hi dualtrace,
                              thx for your response.

Your approach seems to be advanced in terms of effort and consideration :-)

Lost_N_BIOS quoted by winamax69 here also mentions this:

"Yes, both sides need heated up, especially if you are not using hot air station (ideally either way, heat bottom/entire board, then ton of heat on top of chip"

This approach means one has to disassemble further to the naked motherboard.
                              And the main question or task then: How to get enough (well-directed) heat to the other side of the board?

So, next thing I'll try is heating up the backside with a soldering-iron and the front-side again with the heat gun... hopefully without burning a hole into the pcb...

My aim is to desolder, read-out, clear NvramActiveReg (with RCUnlocker), write back "cleared" version and solder it back there - in other words: reuse the existing MXIC - destroying it by chance isn't really an option....

A solution without the need of desoldering would be much more elegant....
                              Not a clip but an affordable tool with tightly fitting tiny needles as firm contacts to the WSON8 (either 6x5 [i think the MCIX is] or 8x6)....

Best

Comment

You could still solder tiny wires to the chip while it is still soldered to the board.

Comment

You could still solder tiny wires to the chip while it is still soldered to the board.
                                  Hi RethoricalCheese.

first of all: thanx a lot you for your work and very helpful tool!

If you look at
                                  (not my board)..
                                  Where exactly could those tiny wires be applied?
                                  Is it sufficient to solder them to the small copper pads nearby?
                                  Or does one have to exactly meet the soldered connections of the MXIC with the pcb - one can hardly see them on the image (and in real) ...

This is high precision work, needs a non-clumpsy soldering iron and non-shaky hands like mine ...
                                  and then connecting the tiny wires to the programmer correctly...

;-)

Comment

Hello all
                                    What about 855 G7?
                                    Is supported in the list for RCUnlocker?

Comment

Slightly_delayed, yes, those huge copper pads.

Ymifdal, if it has 16MB EC chip, then yes.

Comment

Thx - that's really good news, because they are not that "narrow" (space-limited)!
                                        I'll give it a try over the weekend.
                                        Will give feedback after that.

cu

Comment

Ymifdal, if it has 16MB EC chip, then yes.
                                          No unfortunately it's a W25Q256
                                          so I guess 32MB

Comment

Working...
                                          X