GPU common problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPU common problem

Usually when i detect that cpu or gpu are dead i dont repair such motherboard because first i dont have equipment and its too much trouble...But i have seen often lately the same graphic problem and now i am couries what is it?

So i attached the picture and its allways looking the same as in the picture...As far as i remember most of the gpu-s were gtx 1060, gtx 1070, maybe even r9-290...
    So, is this from picture gpu dead or vram or? what is your expirience on this?

Re: GPU common problem

in my opinion video chip ..you can try heating the video chip..with great care ..use flux paste..only to test ...
    Due to a lack of donations, server free space at a critical level, and possible closure of Bios Requests all donations are welcome, click:

>>>>> https://www.badcaps.net/index.php?pageid=donate1 <<<<<

Every donation made will go towards server fees and maintenance costs.

Comment

me too would think of gpu problem...

Comment

reflow will cure it.. if not.. u need to replace the gpu...if thats an old laptop.. try to test the ddram usually some laptop uses the high mem of the ram to use as video ram.. hope this helps...
        Never stop LEARNING because life never stops TEACHING!

Comment

mostly faulty GPU chip, you can run furmark to crash it.

Comment

Since 25 years of experience with gpu. A rework, reflow
            , Etc, don't solve the problem, only a new chip from
            a good seller soldered with a proper equipment can definitely solve thus type of issue.
            Personally I use only Bga removed mechanically (with a CNC) from a donor board.

Comment

Originally posted by jasko_jacker View Post
              Since 25 years of experience with gpu. A rework, reflow
              , Etc, don't solve the problem, only a new chip from
              a good seller soldered with a proper equipment can definitely solve thus type of issue.

it depends on chip and its condition. have MANY reworks that works until now like 5years

Comment

Curious how you do that.
                Isn't removing a (underfilled) BGA with CNC to preserve the PCB to accept new or donor chips ?
                Destroying the BGA in the process ?

Don't see why a normally lifted BGA wouldn't be usable again?
                Doing it for years without problems, no need for CNC, reball it and and runs for years again.
                Last edited by Deusjevoo; 07-22-2020, 02:17 PM.

Comment

CNC Is a good method to have a unstressed bga,
                  especially for cpu that has distortion problems. It"s (you do not put the whole board under the CNC but only the area that concerns the chip) has advantages, the chip can be resold because it does not show signs of heat, and if you do a laser reballing the condition Is like new.
                  about the duration of the reflow it's a matter of luck and I can't risk working on the same card twice after the customer has paid a lot for the repair.
                  Attached Files

Comment

CNC Is a good method to have a unstressed bga,
                    especially for cpu that has distortion problems. It"s (you do not put the whole board under the CNC but only the area that concerns the chip) has advantages, the chip can be resold because it does not show signs of heat, and if you do a laser reballing the condition Is like new.
                    about the duration of the reflow it's a matter of luck and I can't risk working on the same card twice after the customer has paid a lot for the repair.
                    i rather stick to may bga rework station in pulling out bga chip.. if you have a good reflow profile it can safely remove the chip without the stress on the chip.. my opinion..

Comment

Originally posted by Duranitron View Post
                      i rather stick to may bga rework station in pulling out bga chip.. if you have a good reflow profile it can safely remove the chip without the stress on the chip.. my opinion..
                      It is also my opinion with some chips, for example hm170 or similar, but with bga especially the U series (6500U, 7500U, etc) or high-end GPUs (which absorb a lot of heat especially during the desoldering phase) I prefer to have more possibilities . The problem as everyone knows is the medium and long term duration (normally I provide a six month warranty). Intel, for example, recommends that 3 heating cycles not be exceeded

Comment

plus i preffer baking ic on 130c one hour before procedure

Comment

Originally posted by ktmmotocross View Post
                          plus i preffer baking ic on 130c one hour before procedure
                          i agree. to prevent popcorning ..
                          Last edited by Duranitron; 07-24-2020, 03:44 AM.

Comment

I was wondering if the leaded balls are feasible to replace the lead free balls on high end cpu or gpu as it have a lower melting temp and therefore a lower heat risk during the soldering process.

Comment

Originally posted by Weelcup View Post
                              I was wondering if the leaded balls are feasible to replace the lead free balls on high end cpu or gpu as it have a lower melting temp and therefore a lower heat risk during the soldering process.
                              Yes it is possible, however there are some problems. The pads on both the board and the chip must be very clean:
                              if too much lead-free alloy remains and a solder profile is used for the classic sn / pb alloy it is possible that (especially on large copper areas) the soldering is not complete (semi-liquid alloy).
                              In my opinion it is advisable to use a slightly higher profile,
                              around the 205 below the chip, pay attention to position the thermocouple well for those who use an air top heater, (the air flow must not touch the thermocouple) and use a flux for the lead-free alloy.

Comment

When I replace a chip I always reball it with leaded solder beforehand. It takes time and it's pretty annoying especially with low quality stencils, but much less trouble when soldering without the proper equipment. I haven't found a usable direct heat stencil for Skylake-H yet for example…
                                If you have a good BGA rework station with a good profile and not too much humidity, you'll save a lot of time (and sanity) by putting the chip as-is with lead-free solder.
                                OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Yes it is possible, however there are some problems. The pads on both the board and the chip must be very clean:
                                  if too much lead-free alloy remains and a solder profile is used for the classic sn / pb alloy it is possible that (especially on large copper areas) the soldering is not complete (semi-liquid alloy).
                                  In my opinion it is advisable to use a slightly higher profile,
                                  around the 205 below the chip, pay attention to position the thermocouple well for those who use an air top heater, (the air flow must not touch the thermocouple) and use a flux for the lead-free alloy.
                                  Super.
                                  I have had some gtx1050 and 1060 replacements with leaded balls. Also worked for i5 8300h i7 7700hq.
                                  The reason i asked was to make sure the that my job will last for long from solder ball types prespective.
                                  And yes i fully understand that point. I usually remove all the leadfree residues from the board by leaded tin. Before using desolder coper.

Honestly, after replacing the gpu i felt a lower performing temperature which was very surprising giving the fact that leadfree is lower resistant than leaded ! But the fans run very smoothly.

I chip like gtx1060 is relatively heavy. I am not sure about 205c with leaded balls. I usually use 200 at max for rich copper boards (thick boards) but 195 at max for others.

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
                                    When I replace a chip I always reball it with leaded solder beforehand. It takes time and it's pretty annoying especially with low quality stencils, but much less trouble when soldering without the proper equipment. I haven't found a usable direct heat stencil for Skylake-H yet for example…
                                    If you have a good BGA rework station with a good profile and not too much humidity, you'll save a lot of time (and sanity) by putting the chip as-is with lead-free solder.
                                    Thanks,
                                    It is actually a night mare without stencil. I have a bit of a shaky hand and it takes hours to put the balls in place. I have had a long journey with proper stencil until recently i found one source on aliexpress who sell a bit more expensive but honestly he deserve every penny. You will never regret mate... try one and i am sure you will buy all the set from this store...

andi CO.,Ltd Store
                                    https://a.aliexpress.com/_BOAZax

I am pretty sure this will help you... 100% fit no stencil bent even with U series CPUs like i7-7500U...

Comment

Originally posted by Weelcup View Post
                                      Thanks,
                                      It is actually a night mare without stencil. I have a bit of a shaky hand and it takes hours to put the balls in place. I have had a long journey with proper stencil until recently i found one source on aliexpress who sell a bit more expensive but honestly he deserve every penny. You will never regret mate... try one and i am sure you will buy all the set from this store...

andi CO.,Ltd Store
                                      https://a.aliexpress.com/_BOAZax

I am pretty sure this will help you... 100% fit no stencil bent even with U series CPUs like i7-7500U...
                                      i agree.. putting leaded solder balls keep less stress to the bga chip.. in my opinion i always buy good bga chip with leaded balls already on it in that way... you only need to keep the moisture out by heating the chip to 100 - 130 degrees for 1 or 2 hours before fussing it to the mobo.. make sure to use the best temp profile...

Comment

@Duranitron If you "always buy good bga chip with leaded balls already on it" you always buy REFURBISHED BGAs.
                                        New BGAs are lead free only.
                                        Which is why I prefer reballing myself as I know it's an original chip, no risk buying a fake one.

Comment

Working...
                                        X