Lcd gone mad or Gpu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lcd gone mad or Gpu?

Hi guys, had a friends pc connected to my 22" lcd. Everything was working fine.
    After I finished with his pc, I fired up my main rig.
    There was a message on the lcd: "change your resolution to 1920x1080 for best performance". Nothing strange.

So I right click > screen resolution and behold there is no 1920x1080?
    The lcd (LG 2211) is really old, it's connected via vga cable to my powercolor HD5750 gpu. I've downloaded the latest drivers from amd, still not able to set the resolution to 1920x1080, even using the catalyst control centre doesn't work.
    If I try to set it beyond 1600x960 @60Hz which the lcd is capable of, the screen goes black with a message: "out of range 74.8KHz / 60Hz"???

I have done a fresh install of both win7 and win8.1 (don't like). Reset the lcd to factory settings, tried a dvi to vga adapter, still the same problem.
    This setup has been working for around 4 years, I don't understand where is the 1920x1080 @60Hz I've been using all this time?

As you can see from the picture below, windows has no setting for 1920x1080 and on the right side CCC does have 1920x1080 but at 30Hz?
    Attached Files

Re: Lcd gone mad or Gpu?

If you click 'advanced settings' and then 'list all modes', it's not listed?

Comment

No it's not listed. Maximum is 1600x1200, true color 32bit @60Hz.

I think it has to do with windows not detecting my lcd properly like before.
      It used to recognize it as (display: e2211), now it says: Generic Non-PNP Monitor?

Tried downloading drivers from LG website, but windows says it already has the best drivers for it?

Comment

I've had a problem like that, but with a viewsonic monitor. If you have the driver CD for the monitor instead of pointing it to the drivers, click on "Let me pick form a list of device drivers on my computer", then "Show all devices", then "Have Disk..." and point it to the CD.
        If you don't have the CD instead of pointing it to the dvd drive point it to folder with the monitor drivers.
        You might need to do a restart to get the driver to load properly.
        Last edited by reaper57; 01-13-2015, 05:20 AM.
        Keyboard not detected, press F1 to continue...

Comment

I see the card and monitor are capable of that resolution, seems from looking on line turning everything off and unplugging for a bit, then restarting solved it for some.

Comment

My old ass amd card handles it. Open ccc and video properties tab maybe. Figure out what ticks you need and then they should show.

Screenshot looks 4:3
            Last edited by junktv; 01-13-2015, 05:29 AM.

Comment

I have almost lost my mind with this one.

After 3x fresh windows installs,numerous drivers, different rigs I'm still confused?

@compirate I've tried that, swapping cables, turning on/off, reseting factory defaults etc.

@junktv Setting it under desktop managment > desktop properties shows a message saying: "out of range 74.8KHz / 60Hz". And the only way getting back to windows again is using safe mode > system restore. As setting the resolution back to lower values while in safe mode doesn't work after the restart. Why is the lcd being tricked to think it's 75KHz when it should be 60Hz?

@reaper57 Thanks, I guess I was doing it a little wrong, I would point it straight towards the folder where the drivers are. It's recognized now, and the option of 1920x1080 is present but using it would make the screen go black, with the message "out of range 30KHz / 60Hz"?

1920x1080 should be bold as it is the native resolution, right?
              After installing the lcd drivers I do get a list of 1920 resolution options on the advanced settings tab. None are 1920x1080 @60Hz?

I'm using the Lcd at 1600x900 @60Hz, and it's working ok-ish, the letters are a bit stretched out.

Any ideas?
              Attached Files

Comment

you need a DDC analyser program.

Comment

I took it apart, just for fun and learning's sake.
                  The small board in picture 2, is it responsible for handling color, image resolution etc?
                  There's a small Realtek IC on the board, numbers are not clear enough to read so I cant search for a datasheet to understand what it does.
                  Maybe replacing the small board might solve the problem.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 3d0 View Post
                    I have almost lost my mind with this one.

After 3x fresh windows installs,numerous drivers, different rigs I'm still confused?

@compirate I've tried that, swapping cables, turning on/off, reseting factory defaults etc.

@junktv Setting it under desktop managment > desktop properties shows a message saying: "out of range 74.8KHz / 60Hz". And the only way getting back to windows again is using safe mode > system restore. As setting the resolution back to lower values while in safe mode doesn't work after the restart. Why is the lcd being tricked to think it's 75KHz when it should be 60Hz?

@reaper57 Thanks, I guess I was doing it a little wrong, I would point it straight towards the folder where the drivers are. It's recognized now, and the option of 1920x1080 is present but using it would make the screen go black, with the message "out of range 30KHz / 60Hz"?

1920x1080 should be bold as it is the native resolution, right?
                    After installing the lcd drivers I do get a list of 1920 resolution options on the advanced settings tab. None are 1920x1080 @60Hz?

I'm using the Lcd at 1600x900 @60Hz, and it's working ok-ish, the letters are a bit stretched out.

Any ideas?
                    Try older ati drivers

Comment

monitors contain a serial eeprom wih make,model resolutions frequency's etc in it.
                      this connects to the video-card via the video cable.
                      it's called DDC EDID.
                      https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ddc+edid+s...t-wt&kv=1&kh=1

Comment

Originally posted by junktv View Post
                        Try older ati drivers
                        Tried them already, even the older ones from powercolors website.

@stj Thanks, reading upon EDID issue's they usually happen when switching between different video output devices. Exactly what I did.

I'll give the lcd to a friend, I'm sick of it. Time to upgrade anyway, I will need a bigger one very soon.

Thanks for the help guys

Comment

Working...
                        X