Intel OR840 really fast fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel OR840 really fast fans

IDK why, but my Intel OR840 i got runs fans really fast. I have 2 Nidec Beta SL's, 80mm fans from a old powerpc powercenter pro 180. They only have a positive and negative connector, no fan speed connector thingy. The thing is, I had one of these hooked up to my old Vectra vl800, its not capable of fan speed control. But the fan ran slowly, quietly and didn't push much air. Did the same thing hooked up to the power center pro, when i hooked it up to the intel OR840, it revs way up. Pushes a ton of air and is pretty loud.

Re: Intel OR840 really fast fans

The only answer to that question is the voltage output from the mobo on your other computer where to fans run faster is higher. Lets say 12 volts instead of 5 volts.

Well if these fans are common 2 wire ones (no speed control) you could always cut off the wire just before the fan connector and splice in a voltage regulator.

I'm not talking about the 1 Amp heatsunk regulators the fan doesn't draw near as much current to need them I'm talking about a TO-92 (standard through hole transistor package) voltage regulator.

Simply solder the ground wire between the fan and mobo to the ground pin of the regulator. Solder the positive lead from the mobo to the V in pin on the regulator. Solder the positive lead to the fan onto the V out of the regulator.

Just be sure to insulate the bare wires with electrical tape or heatshrink tubing.

Just make sure that you are within the regulators drop out voltage. Dropout voltage is the minimum the voltage the regulater needs applied to it's V in pin to function.

It's usually 3 to 4 volts higher than it's output voltage. Low dropout regulators have lower dropout voltages. Always check the datasheet of the regulator you intend to buy this is always listed.
    Last edited by Krankshaft; 10-23-2008, 06:12 PM.
    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Working...
    X