Optiplex GX110

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optiplex GX110

This is a nice little computer I got for free. Slimline desktop, uses a laptop cd-rom (yuk,) but it's a Teac, and so is the floppy. It actually reads pretty good. 10gb Maxtor hard drive, 32mb integraded intel video card, 256mb pc133 ram, pci sound blaster 16, pci card with 5 usb 2.0 ports (nice), intel i810 chipset, pentium 3 slot 1 733mhz. And to top it all off, a very impresive, super sized 53W psu, dosen't make much heat, but the fan is bad on it. Spins very slowly, and when you try to spin it by hand it is very hard to.

Whats interesting is that THERE IS NO CAPS on the motherboard. Not a single one.

Re: Optiplex GX110

If it uses a power brick the filtering is done in there like on a laptop.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

It dosen't have a power brick, but a internal power supply. Very small, power supply. All the way at the front, and has a cable leading all the way to the back for the power. I attached some pics of it, got a close up of the main power connector. Perhaps early dells used a specific power supply so that they didn't need cap on the motherboard, so all the filtering is done in the psu?
      Attached Files

Comment

Path from PSU to CPU is really short (short wire) and CPU is probably on +5v so perhaps with good filtering in PSU it simply doesn't need any more caps.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Older PIIs uses 2.8V or bit less. PIII requires either 1.65V to 2.05V ( extra .05V was for Intel's offical overclocked slot 1 PIII 600 with 512K!) Tualatins uses 1.15 to 1.45V.

To be sure there WILL be regulator and capacitors somewhere and I happen to have same PC so I'll look and report.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

I've got one of those, except mine's a 533 slot one, and i've replaced the hard drive with a 20G 5400 RPM seagate.. Best Linux router i've ever had.. I thought they had an 85 W PSU though????

They were going to throw it out at work, so it's technically a dumpster rescued box, though it never made it there..

Also had to replace the fan in the PSU, as it was a bit stuck.. Threw a 80mm Panaflo L1A in there..

As for the caps, yes it does have some, they're just SMT, not can type.. The VRM is under the CPU heatsink.
            Last edited by gg1978; 11-20-2008, 07:31 PM.

Comment

That's tantalums or poly in SMD format.

Good spotting, I was going to check mine to see what kind of value and presence of coil or two.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

By "on +5v" I was referring to PSU rail. ..

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

Working...
                X