Got My poweredge motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got My poweredge motherboard

I got my dell poweredge 4400 motherboard today. Thing is gigantic!!!

These pics show it up against a Abit BX6, which is a full size atx motherboard, and the other shows the slot 2 xeon versus a slot 1 p3 with a big heatsink.
    Attached Files

Re: Got My poweredge motherboard

Damn, that's huge. And yet I still think that the full size BX6 ATX board is the biggest thing out there. What kinda case would that big board need? and what are you using it for anyway?
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

I have a Poweredge 2400 case here and I can say that not only is that board proprietary to a dell server case (it's a Dell, go figure!) it's also BTX.
      Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210
        Damn, that's huge. And yet I still think that the full size BX6 ATX board is the biggest thing out there.
        http://www.sysprofile.de/id71517

look at the mainboard pic

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210
          Damn, that's huge. And yet I still think that the full size BX6 ATX board is the biggest thing out there. What kinda case would that big board need? and what are you using it for anyway?
          There are larger server motherboards out there, E-ATX. But as far as regular ATX goes a BX6 is about as big as they get. Im using it for a cod4 online server, in console only mode (no, not for xbox, just where it dosen't run the game, only the console to host games.)

Comment

370, aren't you going the wrong direction?
            shouldn't they take LESS and less space?
            hehe...

Comment

I reject the idea of shrinking computers! Lets go back to the old mainframe age!!!

Ohh ya, also note that this is another one of those dell motherboards that has almost no capacitors.
              Last edited by 370forlife; 12-15-2008, 04:06 PM.

Comment

no caps?
                that's cool.

Comment

These are also one of the few server boards where there are no VRM modules (they are built onto the board). It makes adding a second processor to a system that only came with one installed so much nicer as you don't have to buy the processor AND the VRM module.
                  Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

I say make your own case from scratch.
                    You could start with a '72 Toyota.
                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                      I say make your own case from scratch.
                      You could start with a '72 Toyota.
                      no.start with a chrysler imperial!.

Comment

Yes much more impressive!
                        Choose one of those early '60's models with the dash that looked like a 50's sci-fi flick space station.!! ~ YEAH!
                        Mann-Made Global Warming.
                        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by pentium
                          These are also one of the few server boards where there are no VRM modules (they are built onto the board). It makes adding a second processor to a system that only came with one installed so much nicer as you don't have to buy the processor AND the VRM module.
                          True, but they aren't hard to find (I haven't looked in a long time though). Replaceable VRMs means you have a chance of upgrading to a newer voltage spec, like putting coppermine cores on a board that originally didn't support it.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                            no.start with a chrysler imperial!.
                            Im thinking about using a Lincoln mark V or maybe a cadillac Broughm.

Ohh ya, about the VRM's. This board dosen't need it. Thats why it needs the special psu's, it sends all the required voltages/amps to the board (which is why it has 40+ pins of power connectors) so no vrm's.

No caps (well, a few tiny solid caps,) and no visible vrm's. Very nice board so far.

Comment

Working...
                            X