Cooler Master UCP 900

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooler Master UCP 900

So I shut off my computer last night to do some hardware changes and literally as soon as it shut off, the power supply dropped dead. I noticed the blue led on the motherboard (indicating 5VSB) went off when it shut off.
    Ive had this in this computer running pretty much 24/7 since January 2010. I recently passed 50k hours on it (according to hard drive timers. those are probably not accurate).

So I checked and it was dead so I pulled it and cracked it open. I had remembered reading a review of this power supply where they noted the mini-board which supplies 5VSB. At first I thought just I had no 5VSB. I even went as far as pulling the caps and rectifier off the miniboard to test them. It was good. The rectifier was. The caps are LTec...soo probably not. They won't be going back on if I fix it, anyway.
    It does have one LTec with a popped top, but its on the 12V output. The 3.3 and 5V are VRM and have poly caps on the output.
    Anyway, shortly after I took the miniboard apart I determined the fuse was actually blown on the mainboard so now Im trying to hunt down what blew up. Any ideas which direction too pursue?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Colt45ws; 11-14-2015, 01:49 AM.

Re: Cooler Master UCP 900

The daughter PCB has numerous dry solder joints at the transformer. I would start by desoldering each pin of the transformer and reflowing it with fresh solder. Then do the same for all the coils and the other transformer.

Comment

Re: Cooler Master UCP 900

+1^^^

And make sure to check for the S/C on both HOT and COLD side.
      If you find S/C some of the semiconductors shorted and blown fuse.
      stay classy

Comment

Working...
      X