Strange Delta DPS-222BP power supply behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Delta DPS-222BP power supply behavior

This PSU was installed in a number of Sharp products: PN-L702B; PN-E702; LCD-70X560A; LC-70LE632U; LC-70LE732U and LC-70LE735M to name a few.

I have an unusual backlight problem in this 70" Sharp PN-L702B touchscreen presentation display. When I turn the display on the backlight flashes for ~0.1 second and goes out. I can see the SHARP logo showing up under a flashlight so both the MB and the T-con appear to be working fine. I had to turn the lights completely off in the room in order to see the backlight flash - that's how quick it was. I even tried to record it with my video camera but at 30fps it was unable to catch the backlight flash. I am used to the classic 2-3 seconds to dark which would indicate a backlight failure, but this is definitely something else.

After I initially turn the display on:

Code:
    Time		ACTION					LED STATE			MODE
    00 seconds:	Display turned ON			LED is steady ORANGE		PWR OFF (STBY) mode
    09 seconds:	Relay on "C RELAY PWB" clicks ON	LED is steady GREEN		PWR ON mode
    16 seconds:	Backlight lights up for ~0.1sec		LED is steady GREEN		PWR ON mode
    32 seconds:	Relay on "C RELAY PWB" clicks OFF	LED blinks GREEN (~1 sec ON/~1 sec OFF)	INPUT WAITING mode
    The PCB names and TV modes are per the PN-E702 Service Manual (attached). For some mysterious reason the Service Manual has a schematic for the Main board but not for the PSU board.

The power supply (DPS-222BP-1 A) has all voltages present on PD connector:
    Code:
    PIN	LABEL		VOLTAGE
    1	PNL 12v		+12.04v
    2	PNL 12v		+12.04v
    3	SGND
    4	SGND
    5	UR 13.2v	+13.15v
    6	UR 13.2v	+13.15v
    7	UR 13.2v	+13.15v
    8	UR 13.2v	+13.15v
    9	SGND
    10	SGND
    11	SGND
    12	SGND
    13	AC-DET		+3.28v
    14	PS ON		+4.93v
    15	BU 5v		+4.97v
    16	PNL-POW		+4.96v
    17	nc
    18	nc
    19	DIMMER		+2.64v
    20	nc
    21	OFL		+4.17v
    22	ERROR		+4.92v
    23	nc
    24	STB		+4.96v
    This display uses a LK695D3GW35 panel. According to its datasheet (attached) each of the 14 sequential pairs of backlight LED strips is driven by +183v.

I tested voltages on the L1 connector on all 14 pins (LED1+ ... LED14+). The needle momentary jumps to +100v and falls back. The voltage jump occurred so quickly that I had to use my trusty 1958 vintage analogue voltmeter to catch it. My digital Wavetek 2030 multimeter was too slow to catch this spike although it did register about +45v in the MAX-HOLD mode. I presume that the voltage actually spikes to the full +183v but I don't have an oscilloscope to verify this. I read in a few places (for example here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54352) that a properly working PSU should be steadily providing this voltage on L1. The fact that I don't see this happening probably points to the defective PSU board in my display.

I even opened up the LCD panel and tested all 420 LEDs with a 100vdc power supply (15 LEDs on each strip; 14 strip pairs; 30 LEDs connected in series). They all lit up fine (after I burnt and replaced one LED https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56430) so the problem is definitely not with the LEDs.

I feel that the PSU tries to output +183v to the L1 connector but something interferes and interrupts the process.

All electrolytic capacitors in the PSU are name brand (mostly Rubicon); none of them are bloated. I did not not test any of the capacitors however.

I tested all of the diodes on board (including the D7951: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51264 ).

I tested out of circuit all of the MOSFETS (Q7901, Q7700, Q7701, Q7801, Q7802 and Q7130) mounted on the top side of the board.

I tested in circuit all of the transformers for continuity.

I tested in circuit the three photocouplers on the board (PC7901, PC7701 and PC7902) on their LED pins only. Did not test their phototransistor pins - don't know how.

I did not test any of the IC's on the back side - don't know how.

I am out of ideas folks. Please help.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HAHOMETP; 08-27-2016, 05:31 PM.

Re: Strange Delta DPS-222BP power supply behavior

Scored a "DPS-222BP A" (RUNTKA857WJQZ) power supply board at a great price. Although this PCB is technically from another model, the display none the less is working fine. Here's the conclusion for the archives.

1. "DPS-222BP A" (RUNTKA857WJQZ) looks 1:1 identical to OE "PS-222BP-1 A" (RDENC1023MPPZ) and works in the PN-L702B just as well. I'd hazard a guess that the 3rd incarnation of the same PSU, the DPS-222BP-2 A (RDENC1023MPPZ), is probably also the same as the other two but has the ~240v portion populated instead of the ~120v and should work just as well.
    2. In the absence of the input signal the PN-L702B will click the relay off and turn the backlight OFF on the 32nd second. This is normal.
    3. In both the bad and the good PCBs the voltage on the three big capacitors C7800A/B/C was +346v. However on the bad OE "PCB PS-222BP-1 A" this voltage did not propagate further to the high voltage transformers etc. Something failed to send the command to pass this high voltage further. See the attached document.

Any ideas what could be causing this?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HAHOMETP; 09-04-2016, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Hey there,

I'm new to the thread. I recently got a non-working Sharp PNE702 cheap and thought I'd try to see if I could get it working. The unit displays the power LED green, and does a very quick flash about 10 or 12 seconds after you turn the power switch on. Based on some measurements I took after reading your thread, I'm of the opinion it has a problem on the DSP-222BP board somewhere. I'm not really well versed in electronics diagnosis or repair, but I'm capable of taking basic measurements, can solder, and am a good learner. I'd love to get some advice on how to definitively tell if the PS board is non-working.

Comment

Please upload a schematic of PSU Delta DPS-222BP
        regards thoma!

Comment

Hi I have a problem with the DPS-222BP I have the voltages indicated but its operation is about 20 seconds and the LED display goes off.
          You turn on again and the same is not a symptom of electronic components.
          I have tried connecting to serial port to view the log and I do not see anything has no data traffic verified with a sniffer.

Comment

Originally posted by thoma View Post
            Please upload a schematic of PSU Delta DPS-222BP
            regards thoma!
            I suspect the c7800A/B/C

I've had the same symptoms. I was able to start the though tv when applying cold spray to these components and applying vol- and input to bypass errors and then factory reset.

Whats the value of the c7800A/B/C?
            I want to try replacing them.

Comment

Guys! It is common problem of DPS-222BP. Usually faulty components of PSU are T7701 or T7702. To identify faulty module you need to start DPS-222BP in standalone mode. To make it start in standalone mode you need to pull up these pins of PD socket to 5V with 1K resistor to each pin.
              1. STB
              2. PS_ON
              3. PNL_POW
              4. OFL
              5. DIMMER
              Having this done backlight of panel supposed to work continuously as soon as you power up PSU. If it doesn't start or works only few seconds in 99% it means you have problem at backlight converter.
              First signs of faulty transformers are cracks at ferrite core because of overheating.

Comment

I have the same issue with my PN-E702.
                The backlight turns on when cold for a few minutes then shuts off. Once it has done this the backlight will only flash momentarily and stay off.
                No signs of overheating on the transformers.
                Seems like a common issue. Any other insight would be much appreciated.
                BTW i did check the schottky diode and it tested ok.
                Power light does not flash any errors.
                Thanks,
                Serge

Comment

Well, i don't know if yegor is right, but in the case of sbtech is enough to hit those transformers with a screwdriver's handle, lightly, if the behaviour changes you have the answer, instead without deep investigations i feel suspective those grey mylar/polyester caps in row.. if yes need to exclude protection to discover which faults..

Comment

Hi guys.
                    Just got a dead LC-70632U. I ordered a replacement Power board (Is that known as the PWB? Seems likely) Anyway, I love this thread and suspect I may be adding a little when I get further along. The unit flashed 3 long and 1 short. No other indications. Strangely when I first brought it home, it powered on and showed a screen when powered on in my truck bed. When I brought the heavy son of a gun in and put in place it was dead as indicated above. That of course made me suspect a solder/run problem, but initial inspections and tapping proved futile. hopefully the shotgun approach will win the day. I'll Let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by yegor View Post
                      Guys! It is common problem of DPS-222BP. Usually faulty components of PSU are T7701 or T7702. To identify faulty module you need to start DPS-222BP in standalone mode. To make it start in standalone mode you need to pull up these pins of PD socket to 5V with 1K resistor to each pin.
                      1. STB
                      2. PS_ON
                      3. PNL_POW
                      4. OFL
                      5. DIMMER
                      Having this done backlight of panel supposed to work continuously as soon as you power up PSU. If it doesn't start or works only few seconds in 99% it means you have problem at backlight converter.
                      First signs of faulty transformers are cracks at ferrite core because of overheating.
                      This is exactly what I found after searching all over the board:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Great hint. Cheers
                        Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Visser View Post
                          This is exactly what I found after searching all over the board:
                          I must add that I managed to find another TV at the rubbish tip which was been discarded in a backyard for quite some time. It was covered in sand and the like. Taking th power supply board out I noticed those transformers also cracked. That is why I have a photo of 3 cracked transformers. One is still OK.

Comment

Originally posted by HAHOMETP View Post
                            This PSU was installed in a number of Sharp products: PN-L702B; PN-E702; LCD-70X560A; LC-70LE632U; LC-70LE732U and LC-70LE735M to name a few.

I have an unusual backlight problem in this 70" Sharp PN-L702B touchscreen presentation display. When I turn the display on the backlight flashes for ~0.1 second and goes out. I can see the SHARP logo showing up under a flashlight so both the MB and the T-con appear to be working fine. I had to turn the lights completely off in the room in order to see the backlight flash - that's how quick it was. I even tried to record it with my video camera but at 30fps it was unable to catch the backlight flash. I am used to the classic 2-3 seconds to dark which would indicate a backlight failure, but this is definitely something else.

After I initially turn the display on:

Code:
                            Time		ACTION					LED STATE			MODE
                            00 seconds:	Display turned ON			LED is steady ORANGE		PWR OFF (STBY) mode
                            09 seconds:	Relay on "C RELAY PWB" clicks ON	LED is steady GREEN		PWR ON mode
                            16 seconds:	Backlight lights up for ~0.1sec		LED is steady GREEN		PWR ON mode
                            32 seconds:	Relay on "C RELAY PWB" clicks OFF	LED blinks GREEN (~1 sec ON/~1 sec OFF)	INPUT WAITING mode
                            The PCB names and TV modes are per the PN-E702 Service Manual (attached). For some mysterious reason the Service Manual has a schematic for the Main board but not for the PSU board.

The power supply (DPS-222BP-1 A) has all voltages present on PD connector:
                            Code:
                            PIN	LABEL		VOLTAGE
                            1	PNL 12v		+12.04v
                            2	PNL 12v		+12.04v
                            3	SGND
                            4	SGND
                            5	UR 13.2v	+13.15v
                            6	UR 13.2v	+13.15v
                            7	UR 13.2v	+13.15v
                            8	UR 13.2v	+13.15v
                            9	SGND
                            10	SGND
                            11	SGND
                            12	SGND
                            13	AC-DET		+3.28v
                            14	PS ON		+4.93v
                            15	BU 5v		+4.97v
                            16	PNL-POW		+4.96v
                            17	nc
                            18	nc
                            19	DIMMER		+2.64v
                            20	nc
                            21	OFL		+4.17v
                            22	ERROR		+4.92v
                            23	nc
                            24	STB		+4.96v
                            This display uses a LK695D3GW35 panel. According to its datasheet (attached) each of the 14 sequential pairs of backlight LED strips is driven by +183v.

I tested voltages on the L1 connector on all 14 pins (LED1+ ... LED14+). The needle momentary jumps to +100v and falls back. The voltage jump occurred so quickly that I had to use my trusty 1958 vintage analogue voltmeter to catch it. My digital Wavetek 2030 multimeter was too slow to catch this spike although it did register about +45v in the MAX-HOLD mode. I presume that the voltage actually spikes to the full +183v but I don't have an oscilloscope to verify this. I read in a few places (for example here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54352) that a properly working PSU should be steadily providing this voltage on L1. The fact that I don't see this happening probably points to the defective PSU board in my display.

I even opened up the LCD panel and tested all 420 LEDs with a 100vdc power supply (15 LEDs on each strip; 14 strip pairs; 30 LEDs connected in series). They all lit up fine (after I burnt and replaced one LED https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56430) so the problem is definitely not with the LEDs.

I feel that the PSU tries to output +183v to the L1 connector but something interferes and interrupts the process.

All electrolytic capacitors in the PSU are name brand (mostly Rubicon); none of them are bloated. I did not not test any of the capacitors however.

I tested all of the diodes on board (including the D7951: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51264 ).

I tested out of circuit all of the MOSFETS (Q7901, Q7700, Q7701, Q7801, Q7802 and Q7130) mounted on the top side of the board.

I tested in circuit all of the transformers for continuity.

I tested in circuit the three photocouplers on the board (PC7901, PC7701 and PC7902) on their LED pins only. Did not test their phototransistor pins - don't know how.

I did not test any of the IC's on the back side - don't know how.

I am out of ideas folks. Please help.
                            Looking closely at the first photo, enlarging it, you can see the fine crack in the ferrite core, just like the ones I found on my transformers.

Comment

hi Hans Visser. Did replacing the transformers fix the problem? I have the same issue on my board.

Comment

Originally posted by abuono View Post
                                hi Hans Visser. Did replacing the transformers fix the problem? I have the same issue on my board.
                                In addition, is it possible to fix these cracks? attached are the images from my board.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Davi.p View Post
                                  Well, i don't know if yegor is right, but in the case of sbtech is enough to hit those transformers with a screwdriver's handle, lightly, if the behaviour changes you have the answer, instead without deep investigations i feel suspective those grey mylar/polyester caps in row.. if yes need to exclude protection to discover which faults..
                                  Hi, ican't exclude prtoteccion of DAA009.

Comment

Originally posted by abuono View Post
                                    In addition, is it possible to fix these cracks? attached are the images from my board.
                                    Hi I have the same problem, anybody found it the transformer in order to buy only this part

yhank you
                                    Chikineider

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddyslim View Post
                                      Hey there,

I'm new to the thread. I recently got a non-working Sharp PNE702 cheap and thought I'd try to see if I could get it working. The unit displays the power LED green, and does a very quick flash about 10 or 12 seconds after you turn the power switch on. Based on some measurements I took after reading your thread, I'm of the opinion it has a problem on the DSP-222BP board somewhere. I'm not really well versed in electronics diagnosis or repair, but I'm capable of taking basic measurements, can solder, and am a good learner. I'd love to get some advice on how to definitively tell if the PS board is non-working.
                                      Did your request ever get addressed? I find myself in the exact same situation

Comment

Working...
                                      X