Need to Find Replacement Audio Jack for Vizio TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to Find Replacement Audio Jack for Vizio TV

I have an older Vizio M3D460SR TV, and the audio output jack has started to malfunction. The jack output is connected to my stereo. The other day, I had to disconnect the audio cable from the jack, to reach behind the TV. The problem started after I reconnected the cable. Now, the audio began randomly switching from my stereo, to the TV speakers, and back again.

My initial suspicion was a bad solder connection. So, I opened-up the TV, pulled the main board, cleaned all of the old solder off of the jack terminals, and resoldered them. But, the intermittent problem has persisted. My only conclusion is that the jack is bad.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a part number, so that I can order a replacement. I have trolled the internet with every possible combination of search terms that I could conceive. I could not even find a schematic for my TV. It seems ridiculous to have to scrap a $600 TV, over a $2 part. We all know how terrible the internal speakers are, on these flat screens.

Or, could the problem be some sort of "smart" switching, not related to the jack? Some jacks operate that way. Again, there is no way of telling, without a schematic. Any other suggestions?

Re: Need to Find Replacement Audio Jack for Vizio TV

Are you talking about RCA line out jacks?
    Show us good clear pictures so we can see what we are dealing with.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

You must be using the 3.5mm audio out, Does your stereo have optical digital input? or is it too old. It looks like the audio control is done from the Audio settings menu, did something change in the menu? Try resetting the audio settings
      Last edited by R_J; 05-17-2020, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks Budm and RJ. My stereo is older, and does not have an optical jack. I have played with all of the audio settings on the TV, to no effect. I even reset the audio to factory default, as well as a power cycle (holding the power button down for 30 seconds, while the set is unplugged). I have done that last one so many times on Vizio sets, I can do it in my sleep.

I have attached a pic of the main board used in my TV. The red arrow in the lower right points to the defective jack. It is a 3.5mm, right-angle stereo jack, like that used with headphones. I could not find a good pic of the underside of the board. So, I added a crude diagram in the upper right, showing the pin configuration on the bottom of the jack.

The 5 RCA plugs on the left of the photo, are for input only--3 component video, and 2 audio.
        Attached Files

Comment

is it a switched socket ?

Comment

I am assuming that it is a switched socket. However, without a schematic, I can't be sure, or even know what type of switching it uses. Is the switching of channels done mechanically, within the socket itself (like the headphone jack on an old boombox). Or, does the socket engage a ground line, that leads to a logic circuit. The socket has six pins. So I suspect that it may be capable of both. Again, without a schematic of the main board, I can't know which switching it uses.

Comment

I would check with a local repair shop and find one off a bad main board. Did plugging in a jack, cut out the speakers? When inserting the plug part way did it only cut out one speaker or both?
              Last edited by R_J; 05-19-2020, 12:06 PM.

Comment

You know, when I first got this TV, I swear that inserting the jack did cut-out the TV speakers. But, it doesn't anymore, even when the stereo signal kicks-in. Maybe, it never did. I have had this TV so long, I really can't recall. I hadn't touched that jack in years.

Unfortunately, the owner of the local TV repair shop has the personality of a rattlesnake (I live in a small town). A couple years ago, I went to him, seeking a part for another TV, and he practically bit my head off!
                Last edited by anachronon; 05-19-2020, 01:26 PM.

Comment

try switch cleaner ..

Comment

Working...
                  X