Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

55 inch Plasma Viera (VIERA TC-P55GT30) not turning on. 7 blinking red lights.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 55 inch Plasma Viera (VIERA TC-P55GT30) not turning on. 7 blinking red lights.

Wow. Sucks I paid for this. Oh well, lesson learned the hard way.

Definitely 7 blinks. Performed the isolation test, also 7 blinks.

Comment

Re: 55 inch Plasma Viera (VIERA TC-P55GT30) not turning on. 7 blinking red lights.

Comment

Originally posted by zace View Post

That's cheating jumping ahead, ruins all my fun

So you, disconnected the sd and su from the SC, removed the 4 bolts , jumpered/shorted the 2 pins at SC50, turned this puppy on and it gave you 7 winks or blinks.

Comment

I guess you did it twice

Comment

In that order too.

Guessing it spells doom for this refurb board.

Comment

In that order too.

Guessing it spells doom for this refurb board.
              No, not good. I guess it's time to crack meter unless you want to return it unused.

Was there any popping noises the very first time this board was powered up, you know day one from the post?

It's worth checking P2 or SC2 and confirm Vsus say 215V DC is present when this goes to power up just before shutdown.

It's unlikely it's missing but I did have the track on a power board vaporise and go open cct, that will trigger 7 blinks but that was after I blew up a baord a couple of extra times when sc2 goes dead short.

SOunds like you did not need my help anyway if you're all over these test procedures. In fact suprised you grabbed a meter because generally 7 blink buffers disconnected and sc50 jumpered is SC board fault.

Not much can be done except to see how these guys roll when they have a bad product.

You could check and confirm there's no shorts on anyof those 6 transistor locations I highlighted . You only need to check 1 in each bank as they are in parallel.

Q401-403 should be 30F131 (Toshiba), Q421-423 should be RJP30H2A (Renesas)

I had a lot of dramas with fake 30F131, gave up and use alternate product.

I am curious to see if any are short or if they are soldered properly. You could continuity check the metal tab to the solder pad on the board.

Amateurs have had boards not work because not enough heat to get the solder to flow correctly. The board is the heatsink so it does take some technique and Watts to do a good job.

If you can get better shots we may find something on the board but once confirmed it's SC , get it replaced money back, whatever but some how you need to have in hand a core board to work with working or not. Working, good otherwise I may be able to help you out btu I don't cough these boards up without a core. I got 3 TV models all using this version, I like my spares collection LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by tw2005 View Post
                No, not good. I guess it's time to crack meter unless you want to return it unused.

Was there any popping noises the very first time this board was powered up, you know day one from the post?

It's worth checking P2 or SC2 and confirm Vsus say 215V DC is present when this goes to power up just before shutdown.

It's unlikely it's missing but I did have the track on a power board vaporise and go open cct, that will trigger 7 blinks but that was after I blew up a baord a couple of extra times when sc2 goes dead short.

SOunds like you did not need my help anyway if you're all over these test procedures. In fact suprised you grabbed a meter because generally 7 blink buffers disconnected and sc50 jumpered is SC board fault.

Not much can be done except to see how these guys roll when they have a bad product.

You could check and confirm there's no shorts on anyof those 6 transistor locations I highlighted . You only need to check 1 in each bank as they are in parallel.

Q401-403 should be 30F131 (Toshiba), Q421-423 should be RJP30H2A (Renesas)

I had a lot of dramas with fake 30F131, gave up and use alternate product.

I am curious to see if any are short or if they are soldered properly. You could continuity check the metal tab to the solder pad on the board.
                I read your instructions on performing the isolation test in either earlier in this thread or a different one
                Grabbed the meter since I saw that when replacing the SC doesn't solve the issue, it generally gets difficult. Never used a multi-meter before, but I posted up since I was interested in learning. Never expected to have this solved in a night

There was a kind of crackling sound coming from the PS as soon as it was plugged in, but I wouldn't call it popping.

My work space is a dining table in the corner of a shoebox (joys of living in a tiny unit), so I may wait until sunlight to get better images and suss out the soldering work. I will trawl the rest of this thread for some tips and links to videos for testing the caps. I'll have all weekend since slapjob-tv-repairman I got this from won't be available till Monday.

Hopefully have something meaningful to post soon.

Comment

I read your instructions on performing the isolation test in either earlier in this thread or a different one
                  Grabbed the meter since I saw that when replacing the SC doesn't solve the issue, it generally gets difficult. Never used a multi-meter before, but I posted up since I was interested in learning. Never expected to have this solved in a night

There was a kind of crackling sound coming from the PS as soon as it was plugged in, but I wouldn't call it popping.

My work space is a dining table in the corner of a shoebox (joys of living in a tiny unit), so I may wait until sunlight to get better images and suss out the soldering work. I will trawl the rest of this thread for some tips and links to videos for testing the caps. I'll have all weekend since slapjob-tv-repairman I got this from won't be available till Monday.

Hopefully have something meaningful to post soon.
                  would not waste time on caps unless something is unsoldered.

The noises I'm referring to is a sharp pop, from the SC board. Crackling from the power board suggests the cord was on when you inserted it into the TV power inlet or that filter. Normal.

You could go fishing for shorted outputs on the buffers for something to do just in case but I'm betting this meter is a very cheap one?

If you found Vsus at P2 or sc2 then that rules that out( bad P board or missing voltage). I could tell you what to do to powerup just the p board and A board to prove it's not a false detect at the A.

It's unlikely. Buffers can blow. I'm yet to have one on the ST,GT or VT. The U30 however, yes, 50/50 7 blink will be bad SU. Normally the SC fails and goes short producing no blink on that model.
                  Last edited by tw2005; 04-21-2017, 05:59 AM.

Comment

.................................My work space is a dining table in the corner of a shoebox (joys of living in a tiny unit),...
                    Mine is, living room, dining table, kitchen , bedroom, study, garage. outdoor pergola,
                    we have no tables to eat on!

I'm out of space, be greatful , your problem is singular.

My breakfast bench.

OCD ?
                    Last edited by tw2005; 04-21-2017, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Check the ss board. I had one that had a bad 330n25?(dont remember the exact number).
                      Fitted a new one and all was good.

Comment

Originally posted by tvtimmy View Post
                        Check the ss board. I had one that had a bad 330n25?(dont remember the exact number).
                        Fitted a new one and all was good.
                        How very true but that trips 8 blink hence why I was asking 7 or 8. About 50% of the ones I've touched had that little surprise after fixing the SC

Comment

Hello everyone.

I am from Ottawa, Canada, and I am also new to the board.

I have a Panasonic 55VT30 with the 7 blinks. Checked the SC, SU, and SD boards and found the typical 6 MOSFETs and 2 diodes from the SC board shorted. (The diodes may have been fine, but I have already de-soldered them off).

I purchased a TNPA5335 repair kit from SJ. The repair kit arrived with 5 Fairchild FGB20N60SFD and 1 Fairchild FGN20N60SFD (to replace the 6 shorted Toshiba 30F131).

My question and concern is if the Fairchild FGB20N60SFD is really a suitable replacement for the Toshiba 30F131?

According to its data sheets, the Toshiba 30F131 has Vces max of 360V and Ic pulsed max of 200A. The Fairchild FGB20N60SFD has a Vces max of 600V, but an Ic pulsed max of only 60A.

When I brought this up with SJ, they indicated that the FGB20N60SFD is a recommended replacement for the 30F131 from the NESDA community and that they have tested it thoroughly before including them in the kit.

My inner brain keeps telling me this should not work, that these driver ICs would need to handle 100A+ to drive the plasma display. Unfortunately, I am a newbie in this area, so any of your technical expertise is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help!

Norman

Comment

Originally posted by neng View Post
                            Hello everyone.

I am from Ottawa, Canada, and I am also new to the board.

I have a Panasonic 55VT30 with the 7 blinks. Checked the SC, SU, and SD boards and found the typical 6 MOSFETs and 2 diodes from the SC board shorted. (The diodes may have been fine, but I have already de-soldered them off).

I purchased a TNPA5335 repair kit from SJ. The repair kit arrived with 5 Fairchild FGB20N60SFD and 1 Fairchild FGN20N60SFD (to replace the 6 shorted Toshiba 30F131).

My question and concern is if the Fairchild FGB20N60SFD is really a suitable replacement for the Toshiba 30F131?

According to its data sheets, the Toshiba 30F131 has Vces max of 360V and Ic pulsed max of 200A. The Fairchild FGB20N60SFD has a Vces max of 600V, but an Ic pulsed max of only 60A.

When I brought this up with SJ, they indicated that the FGB20N60SFD is a recommended replacement for the 30F131 from the NESDA community and that they have tested it thoroughly before including them in the kit.

My inner brain keeps telling me this should not work, that these driver ICs would need to handle 100A+ to drive the plasma display. Unfortunately, I am a newbie in this area, so any of your technical expertise is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help!

Norman
                            Well, one way to find out. If SJ claim so and supplied them if it goes bang providing the rest of the cct was ok you have a comeback. Anyway, will be interesting, we may learn something new here. IGBTs are getting hard to find in production for these TVs.

One thing that makes no sense.

5 x FGB20N60SFD and 1 Fairchild FGN20N60SFD

I would say you have 6 x FGB20N60SFD

FGN20N60SFD don't even come up in a google search except here where you have mentioned them.

Comment

Yes, 1 part is really marked FGN20N60SFD. And as had been mentioned, Google Search and Fairchild Semi's site turned up nothing. I suspect it is a Chinese knock-off, that misspelled the part number. The layout and style of the package markings is also different from the FGB20N60SFD parts.

Comment

Yes, 1 part is really marked FGN20N60SFD. And as had been mentioned, Google Search and Fairchild Semi's site turned up nothing. I suspect it is a Chinese knock-off, that misspelled the part number. The layout and style of the package markings is also different from the FGB20N60SFD parts.
                                very interesting. Would be interesting to ask Shopjimmy where they source the parts from.

Sounds like you could be right. Maybe it was NESDA member in China

Comment

Did you ever get around to trying these?

Comment

Hello everyone it's been 5 years about since I was last here. Damn how time Flys. My tv just blew up again this morning right when I sat down with my morning coffee. Not the best way to start my day. So I haven't look over the posts yet but this time I'm getting 8 blinks after turning the TV on it flickered then shut off. No popping sound so I don't think it's the sc board but the ss. I have some spare parts to try but need to figure out which board is really bad or if it's just dust collecting and shorting something out. I had a scare a few months back where this happened so I blew air around the vents and the tv worked again. So I'm going to test the tv once i open and do some cleaning first.
                                    Update* false alarm it seems dust was the issue and causing a short somewhere. Might be good practice to open and dust once a year.
                                    Last edited by 9ks2k; 09-25-2018, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Hello all ~

I have a couple of questions surrounding a Panasonic TC-P55GT31 I'm repairing.

7 blinks when the original SU and SD boards are in play. The original SU board was definitely clearly damaged (shorted), so I got a new one of those ready to go that appears to be in good shape. With the SU and SD boards removed from the picture, it's showing 8 blinks with SC20 removed, and 6 when the SC50 is jumped. So, I knew the original SC board was almost assuredly bad so I ordered a new one of those but, unfortunately, that shows the same 8 blinks and 6 blinks scenario I described above.

Questions at this point are:

1) Is there any way to test the Vs where it does not cut out? It will jump up to 199 or 200 momentarily, but then because the SC board is apparently damaged the set, of course, shuts down and the blinking begins. Should I just assume the Vs is in order because I do get that initial jump up into the correct range? Or, is there a way to put certain boards in play and take others out of play so that the Vs will remain constant?

2) I have another SC board coming (beyond the original one and the one I ordered that appears to also be defective), but I want to be absolutely sure that I don't have any other situation going on that is causing these SC boards to blow or become faulty. What else must I check (beyond the Vs situation described in Question #1) to gain confidence that the set is ready to "receive" yet another SC board?

Comment

Hello,
                                        I have a Panasonic TX-P50VT30E, i have 7 blinks. I test the mosfet transistor in SC board and i get a bad result.

I change the SC board for other, this is a new board and i comprobe mosfet transistor are good.

Now i have 8 blinks.
                                        Any recomend and test for get solution?
                                        The problem is SD/SU, SS or A board?

Thanks.

Comment

I had the same issue. The culprits were the IGBTs on the SC board which had blown. This is a consequence of the loose screws grounding the PCB to the chassis. I replaced all 6 IGBTs and recovered the unit for about $26.

I just now had the same issue on my 42 inch version of the same set. This one has the SD, SU, and SC boards all combined into a single PCB. In this case, the issue presented itself with 14 blinks, but after unplugging the supply board and measuring the resistance on the VSUS bus to GND, it was the same IGBTs on this board. These fail short. I just ordered them and will post again if that fixes my issue on this TV as well.

Comment

Working...
                                          X