X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial DISCUSSION

About the 350w CWT starfury1 posted:

Hah. I've seen 28/30/15 300w supplies, one of those was a Startech! Doubt that's even close to a 350.

Looks like I got lucky with my (Teapo-filled) CWT.
    You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
    Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

Thanks peteS sort of figured that...as you say"Agency-approved caps are virtually covered with the logos of the approving agencies"

Thing is when SMPSU die's you drop them in the bin and replace them.(not repair them) is the more likely thing to be done these days

With the crappy electro's that are being used this seems to be a lot sooner then later
      Still that does not excuse possible safety and standards not being ment

Shroomie yes ita a bit like PMPO specs on an Audio amp 1000W (like its really a 10W RMS Audio IC)...anything to sell something

So I tend to take cheapie specs with a big grain of salt, thats what the label says not I

Hope no one minds the bold ...sort of looks like I am yelling but its just to quote and make clear the point
      Last edited by starfury1; 06-15-2006, 06:38 AM.
      You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Still that does not excuse possible safety and standards not being ment
        I remember one "250W" P/S that I was afraid to turn on (and didn't). It might have been OK for 120W, but it was the 1KV (DC) "Y-caps" that dissuaded me from applying power. It had a couple more visible probable safety violations. I didn't see any mfr info on it.
        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Thanks PeteS for the links to the pdf's

Since we are on the subject of ****SAFETY**** and really a side point

I have noticed that there are a few old hands and people well qualified in the Electronics field that frequent these forums.

I have also noticed that there are a few that are very new to Electronics
          (nothing wrong with that, we all started somewhere)

I would just like to say;

That its one thing to recap your motherboard (and possilbly stuff it up)

It is totally another to work on a device like a Switch Mode Power Suppy Unit

These SMPSU's CAN KILL YOU!!!!

If you dont know what your doing Leave them alone.

If you must trent were Angels fear to, Never Ever work on one plugged into the Mains.

Those large caps can store 350 Volts DC across the terminals and delivery a very nasty bite! while the supply is disconnected

Do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions if you must tinker

Read the safety guide lines 4.2 at this URL for a start

http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_smpsfaq.html

BEST advice leave it to those qualified to work on them

Just my bit of advice anyway.....Hope the link is OK TC and Mods...if not DOH! sorry
          Last edited by starfury1; 06-16-2006, 01:35 AM.
          You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

0opps hit the 10 min thing.
            lastly
            Not sure but you may find its actually Illegal for you to work on them.
            (Will depend on your local rules and regs with regards to mains devices me thinks)

Comment

That is correct starfury1, it is not only very dangerous but it is also illegal to work on these devices in Sweden unless you have a license...

Fortunantley my father is an electrician so he can ok the work; but remember that if you fuck something up and burn the house down the insurance might not cover it because you did not have legal right to mock with it to begin with!
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by starfury1
                0opps hit the 10 min thing.
                lastly
                Not sure but you may find its actually Illegal for you to work on them.
                (Will depend on your local rules and regs with regards to mains devices me thinks)
                Ill Eagle? Is just a sick bird.

Comment

A license? Curious, though I've interviewed some interesting people claiming to be technicians - would not have wanted to work next to them! The large I/P lytics will hold a charge after the P/S is unplugged, and there may also be a charge on the X-cap(s). There also should be bleeder resistors that will discharge those caps before you could take the top off the case.

When it comes to working in live circuitry, I'm wondering which is worse, the primary side, with higher voltages, or the high-current secondary side - 20A or 30A through a watch band or ring might heat the jewelry a bit.
                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

PeteS; The same laws as for house wiring applies, i.e. you can connect it all up if you want but you will need an electrician to sign the papers that the job is properly done

And unless you have a really good friend that will not happen, because there is nothing in it for the signer; just a high possibility that he creates his own problems if something goes wrong and the insurance company asks why the hell he connected it up like that (he can then loose his license)

My dad oftenly has interesting stories to tell of how stupid people are "thinking they know the ins and outs of electricity"
                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

same sort of thing here in Oz re house wiring, you can do so long as as it is signed off by lic spark. (and yeah fat chance, I dont blame them either)

What prompted the comment was I think in QLD they changed the laws so that if it "plugs in to the mains" you have to have some kind of sparks lic to work on the equipment now

Japlytic would probably know the details better then I, just remember it from articules in the last Aust Electronics mag we have SC

Oh and BTW if you look at that first psu you will see that its been made to take correct and cert parts they just were never installed.....those few pennys must sure add up
                      Last edited by starfury1; 06-17-2006, 06:56 AM.

Comment

O.K, I bought the Supermicro PWS-056 for $136 shipped from wiredzone.com (an authorized reseller). It should be in by this week. Then I'm gonna send it off to JonnyGURU, who's going to do a bit of toasting. Hopefully, I'll learn a lot of new thing from this.

Many thanks to Galvanized for pointing me to this unit.
                        Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
                        Zippy GSM-6600P
                        Curcial Ballistix PC6400 (4 x 1Gb) Micron D9GMH
                        Abit IP35Pro
                        ATi HD4870

Comment

If anyone else is interested in Supermicro/Ablecom: If you have a reseller license (or just a tax number) and an ASI near you (ASIpartner.com) you can have them special order any Supermicro product for you. Usually it's in stock in Fremont and can be shipped to any branch office at no additional charge, but even if it's not in stock in Fremont they should be able to get you P&A for any item you see on the Supermicro/Ablecom website.
                          Rest in peace BFG. You were... a job...

Comment

Would they be willing to special order a single unit?
                            Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
                            Zippy GSM-6600P
                            Curcial Ballistix PC6400 (4 x 1Gb) Micron D9GMH
                            Abit IP35Pro
                            ATi HD4870

Comment

Of course. But you need to be a resleller. You can't just walk in there Joe Enduser and buy stuff.
                              Rest in peace BFG. You were... a job...

Comment

Originally posted by Super Nade
                                O.K, I bought the Supermicro PWS-056 for $136 shipped from wiredzone.com (an authorized reseller). It should be in by this week. Then I'm gonna send it off to JonnyGURU, who's going to do a bit of toasting. Hopefully, I'll learn a lot of new thing from this.

Many thanks to Galvanized for pointing me to this unit.
                                Great idea, Super Nade... Jonny's testing will be sure to give us a reliable indication of the true quality and potential of this unit. (and the 0060 too, which is essentially the same PSU with a single fan).

All this talk of these great Supermicro PSUs isn't good for me... I'm starting to set my sights even higher now. And the next step up from the 0056 is, of course, this 500W, $350 masterpiece. It even fits perfectly in my case... help, the credit card is attacking me!

(PWS-0035), attached.
                                Attached Files

Comment

I own an originall FSP psu too, and i have to admit that those are far more better build than this 350-60MDM (but i paid 65€ for that...). But you can see the MDM is probably stated as those psu's are made for Medion, one of Germanies largest PC distributor (they sell most stuff over some food discounters known as "Aldi-Süd and Aldi-Nord"). Therefore they probably had to skimp out something to suite the needs of low budget.
                                  But all in all, you can`t get anything safer and better below 50€. If they fail within 2 or 3 Years (which they usually don`t do) without harming the system i am comfortable with it.

This LC-6550 will probably don`t be anything better than that FSP. And it cost 35€.
                                  Last edited by gonzo0815; 06-29-2006, 03:57 AM.

Comment

That '400w' Mercury...oh man. Believe it or not, I have a couple 200w Deer AT supplies that are more substantial inside! (I posted a picture of one earlier in the thread.)
                                    You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
                                    Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

Originally posted by Shroomie
                                      That '400w' Mercury...oh man. Believe it or not, I have a couple 200w Deer AT supplies that are more substantial inside! (I posted a picture of one earlier in the thread.)

Yeah, it looks pretty much like a rebadged L&C to me. Hopefully it'll get replaced *before* it blows a hole in the back of the case

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo0815
                                        I own an originall FSP psu too, and i have to admit that those are far more better build than this 350-60MDM (but i paid 65€ for that...). But you can see the MDM is probably stated as those psu's are made for Medion, one of Germanies largest PC distributor (they sell most stuff over some food discounters known as "Aldi-Süd and Aldi-Nord"). Therefore they probably had to skimp out something to suite the needs of low budget.
                                        i wonder if thats the same aldi we have here.
                                        iirc they used to sell cheap pc's too.

Comment

Here's one of my PSUs - a SUNTEK PSU, made by Achme Corp. (Taiwan). ... I find it odd that one of the transformers is fixed to the PSU cover rather than to the motherboard.
                                          That's an inductor, for passive PFC.
                                          Now for a 'good' PSU - an HP Vectra 'propreitary' one.
                                          Though I've seen that form factor made by Delta, that P/S seems to have been made by NMB (logo in bottom left corner of the third pic). HP liked having multiple sources, still might.
                                          PeteS in CA

Comment

Working...
                                          X