This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A guide to fixing/troubleshooting some common plasma TV problems

Thanks for the rapid reply on 8th Jan Tom, VERY much appreciated! Apologies for the slow 'thanks' and follow up. I thought I may aswell upload a .jpg of the TV switched on with no input just so you can confirm your fatal diagnosis. It's just the coloured lines (they're all stationary but some flicker) that are the issue when there's an input. Looks like I may be selling spares on eBay in the near future I fear... ;0(
    Attached Files

Comment

That is most likely a bad plasma panel. Sorry, but it is not repairable.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Many thanks Tom! Probably the best Forum I've used...

Comment

@tom66, i did place this in another thread, but i'm going to reply here to follow your reply. I did try to change the t con board and got the same outcome. Tab bonds? what does that look like or what do I need to do to repair it? Thanks for your wisdom! Shared knowledge is so awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by dotcalminc View Post
            @tom66, i did place this in another thread, but i'm going to reply here to follow your reply. I did try to change the t con board and got the same outcome. Tab bonds? what does that look like or what do I need to do to repair it? Thanks for your wisdom! Shared knowledge is so awesome.
            Tab bond repair for different fault, same cause:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHst6pKLtTE
            (Not my video, but he's excellent at describing the repair of this so I always link to it.)
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I put this in the wrong thread the first time. So let's try this again. I've found this to have useful information. At least for me.

http://youclickspk.blogspot.com/p/te...omponents.html

Comment

Originally posted by DavidOH View Post
                I put this in the wrong thread the first time. So let's try this again. I've found this to have useful information. At least for me.

http://youclickspk.blogspot.com/p/te...omponents.html
                a very good guide thanks for the link some good tips for a novice like me.

Comment

I own a Pioneer Elite FHD1 plasma that was purchased new many years ago. Yesterday, the set powered itself down with a fault (Red) code of 4. Now there is a large horizontal band running across the lower section of the screen about 3” from the bottom. It's about 5” wide, white with a 1 inch black band about 2/3 of the way down. The stripe shows on the screen when the monitor is initially turned on before the picture comes on only it is a muted grey. Occasionally the set powers down with the same fault code (4). I would appreciate hearing what you think the problem is…..

Comment

Originally posted by DFM379 View Post
                    I own a Pioneer Elite FHD1 plasma that was purchased new many years ago. Yesterday, the set powered itself down with a fault (Red) code of 4. Now there is a large horizontal band running across the lower section of the screen about 3” from the bottom. It's about 5” wide, white with a 1 inch black band about 2/3 of the way down. The stripe shows on the screen when the monitor is initially turned on before the picture comes on only it is a muted grey. Occasionally the set powers down with the same fault code (4). I would appreciate hearing what you think the problem is…..
                    That could be a bad plasma panel. A picture of the exact fault would confirm the diagnosis. 4 blinks possibly means short on plasma electrode. Unfortunately, it is probably not repairable.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                      That could be a bad plasma panel. A picture of the exact fault would confirm the diagnosis. 4 blinks possibly means short on plasma electrode. Unfortunately, it is probably not repairable.
                      Could it be the Y Drive assembly or the lower buffer board? These are the boards listed for the fault in the repair manual.

Comment

Could it be the Y Drive assembly or the lower buffer board? These are the boards listed for the fault in the repair manual.
                        Hmm, horizontal is left to right. Derp. Not top to bottom, which is panel failure. Left to right may be a Y-drive or Y-scan problem, more likely to be Y-scan (I think that's what Pioneer call them.)
                        Last edited by tom66; 02-05-2013, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Hmm, horizontal is left to right. Derp. Not top to bottom, which is panel failure. Left to right may be a Y-drive or Y-scan problem, more likely to be Y-scan (I think that's what Pioneer call them.)
                          I ordered the Y-Drive assembly and the Lower Y-scan board since the problem is in the lower half of the screen. One Scan assembly is labled Lower (A), the other is labeled High (B). They look exactly the same. I assume the one labeled lower controls the lower half of the screen. Sound reasonable?

Comment

Yes. You can sometimes run this set with only the top buffer installed. You should get a good top half.

Comment

Here is a photo of the issue - the line remains the same if you switch to an input with no signal.https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1360112045
                              Attached Files

Comment

OK, I change my diagnosis. Definitely looks like a Y-buffer issue to me. I hope a panel fault did not damage the buffer, though, that is rare and only happens on certain older Panasonic plasmas as far as I am aware.

Damn nice TV when working!

Comment

OK, I change my diagnosis. Definitely looks like a Y-buffer issue to me. I hope a panel fault did not damage the buffer, though, that is rare and only happens on certain older Panasonic plasmas as far as I am aware.

Damn nice TV when working!

OK, so do you think it is the drive board, the scan board, or could be either so better to replace both? I already ordered both boards, but they came out of an old FHD1 and are used.

Comment

OK, so do you think it is the drive board, the scan board, or could be either so better to replace both? I already ordered both boards, but they came out of an old FHD1 and are used.
                                    I think the SUS (drive-board) is probably OK, but the lower SCAN is bad.

Comment

I think the SUS (drive-board) is probably OK, but the lower SCAN is bad.
                                      Well the problem got worse today. The TV powered down and won't come on fully anymore. Turns on and powers off at the point when the picture normally comes on. So I took it off its base and opened it up in preparation for the part swap. I think I may have found the bad IC on the scan board (see Photo). I'm still up in the air on changing both boards at the same time or one at a time. Could the drive board cause the problem with the scan board?
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Yes, that IC is definitely very bad.

The drive board (when it fails) usually kills either: all the ICs, or the top/bottom most IC. It's very rare for one in the middle of the pack to fail. And as far as I am aware, like most well designed TVs, a failure in the drive board on a Pioneer does not damage the buffer ICs.

You should only need to change the lower board... however, if you've got both, swap both for longevity.

I hope the panel is OK, because I know some Panasonic panel failures can damage the buffers. But I thought it only happened to certain older series. Don't have much info on Pioneer unfortunately.
                                        Last edited by tom66; 02-06-2013, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Hi,
                                          Tom said "post a thread - the problem is more complex" so here goes...

- LG 42PX5D
                                          - exact history detail unknown as its a donation to me
                                          - powers on ok
                                          - image shows as lilac (purple,reddish) just as described in first post of this thread about z-sustain failure
                                          - fuses on z-sus are ok
                                          - power supply voltages all appear in spec
                                          - issues is hard regardless of input or settings

Suggestions?
                                          Thanks
                                          M

Comment

Working...
                                          X