Panasonic TC-50PU54 8 blinks picture flashes then dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Panasonic TC-50PU54 8 blinks picture flashes then dead

I know. I appreciate all your time. Unless I order the C3 and SU/SD boards there is not much else I can do.

Comment

If your concerned about the buffer boards you can take them out of the equation doing the buffer isolation and jumping the 2 pins on the SC50. I would not expect the SU/SD to give 8 blink though.

There's not a lot on those c boards, I have had one with a bad 20 pin octal buffer IC.

It had very high resistance pins 20(Vcc) - pin10(gnd) markings C541 and also VHCT541 which was the one I had bad and the larger profile of the 2.

Looks like these only have the C541.

I measured it board out but in cct comparing to another good C board pretty much all the same, but you could try installed but I'd disconnect any power leads, ribbons but leave the panel connectors alone. I think 1-2mohms, bad one was about 4 times that.

From what I can tell UT50 has same panel boards.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by tw2005; 08-16-2013, 08:00 AM.

Comment

I did the buffer isolation and jumped the sc50 pins. It tested good.

Comment

As in, still 8 blinks?
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

What! You disconnected the buffers from the SC, removed the earth screws, shorted SC50 and started normally with no blinks?

That's totally unexpected for me anyway. Bad buffers should be 7 blinks.

Maybe we should resistance test the buffer boards and see if we can prove anything wrong with them.

Comment

post 1, Initially 8 blinks, ss disconnected, no blinks Chart says, SS11 SS33 disconnect, The TV Stays on With Black Screen suggests no blinks

post 20, SC20 disconnected, 8 blinks charts says , SC20 disconnected, 8 Blinks

post 28 SU/SD tested normal as per manual What did you do here, mearurement results?

post 43 SU/SD isolation,SC50 test, OK (no blinks??) normal start, no picture,no blinks?

Comment

Tom, I have a slight suspicion with my incomplete instructions, he may not have turned the TV on for the test.,The procedure is in the 2012 guide, hope he found it.

I hope I'm wrong and he did turn it on and it powered up normally.

Comment

Easy guy, we are all on the same team here. I did plug it in with the sc50 jumped and still got 8 blinks. Sorry I was not clear about it.

Comment

I should have stated my findings in that post with the jumper on.

Comment

Hello,

My Tc-50pu54 just died and have the same 8 blinks problem. Did anyone find a fix for this? Thanks for any help.

Ken

Comment

Similar problem here. It's a Costco model TC-50PU54. Instant shutdown; 8 blinks.

If you disconnect the A33 ribbon to the SS panel, TV comes on. Stays on, and there is sound, no video (except a flash of the "HDMI1" panel in the upper left corner.

If you reconnect that A33 ribbon, you get the quick shut down and 8 blinks.

Put an ohm meter to the TP101 spot on the C1 panel and checked ohms to chassis. It reads almost none, so it's close to a short.

Everyone think that means a panel failure?

Comment

You may have a shorted ic on the panel. One only other way to verify is pull the ribbons and visually blown
                          Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Actually, is the picture normal during the flash?any vertical lines?
                            Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Thanks for responding. Does this mean that i have an expensive door stop?

I'm assuming that panel failure can't be fixed?

My tv shut down with the 8 blinks and came back on after a few minutes and work perfectly for a week before the second shut down.

I have not opened the tv yet because i was hoping that other people have a fix for it. I can see lots of ss and A boards for this tv on ebay to fix the 8 blink problem?

Comment

Originally posted by aasnowskate View Post
                                I know. I appreciate all your time. Unless I order the C3 and SU/SD boards there is not much else I can do.
                                Did you ever solve the issue, or scrap the unit?

I have a similar unit (TC-P50UT50) with what appears to be an identical problem, any insight would be appreciated.

Comment

I have the same problem with my Panasonic tc-p50u50 plasma. I unplugged the ss33 cable and it stayed on, but no picture. What now?

Comment

I have TC-P50UT50 since Aug-2012 and all of a sudden yesterday TV went bad with 8 Blink behavior. I've extended warranty so trying to go through that first.

But after searching through different Panasonic service manual, it seems like issue is with specific Transistor on SS Board. Most likely Q16051 which is most commonly used IGBT in Panasonic Plasma. Attached is the Panasonic Technical Bulletin and the exact part u can order.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

I just repaired a TC-P50UT50 for 8 blinks, it was the shorted transistor, diode and open resistor as in the panasonic bulletin above, worked great after repair. Also I would check the grounds (board to panel) on the sc board, they were'nt the best either, clean with a bit of sand paper.

Comment

Where did u buy the replacement components?

Comment

Originally posted by pb86 View Post
                                          I have TC-P50UT50 since Aug-2012 and all of a sudden yesterday TV went bad with 8 Blink behavior. I've extended warranty so trying to go through that first.

But after searching through different Panasonic service manual, it seems like issue is with specific Transistor on SS Board. Most likely Q16051 which is most commonly used IGBT in Panasonic Plasma. Attached is the Panasonic Technical Bulletin and the exact part u can order.
                                          I have a TC-P50UT50 as well. I got this TV in April 2012. First, I lost its two HDMI ports around August 2014. I was then watching my TiVo through its HD Component inputs until I could maybe get this repaired. Recently, I got the 8 blinks of death too and was not happy that it has already totally failed. I did not get the extended warranty either.

I figured I had nothing to lose before I took it to a local repair shop so I called Panasonic up as an unhappy customer. I explained the situation and how I was not real pleased that two components on this TV failed within 2yrs of getting it. I have a Sony that is 3 yrs old with not a single problem and would consider Sony for my next HDTV purchase.

Long story short....Panasonic gave me a case number and told me to take it to a local designated shop for repair (about 30mins away). Along with my receipt from best Buy, Panasonic will now cover most of the parts cost for both of these issues. It will only cost me about $150 in labor charges.

I personally do not like getting extended warranties and realize they are gambles no matter how you look at it. I also figure I am still coming out ahead here as the GeekSquad warranty at the time was $200 for 2yrs.

In case anyone else has this issue, you may want to try something similar. Can't hurt and only will require your time to make the phone call.

Comment

Working...
                                          X