XP must be activated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XP must be activated?

Turned this computer on today and there was a blue screen with a window that said. This copy of Windows must be activated within three days.

Now there is a blue star in the start up bar at the bottom of the page.

This computer is using XP service pack 3 with Firefox.

Microsoft wants me to install-Windows genuine advantage installer- but it will not install.

Is there any way around this without buying a new computer?

Re: XP must be activated?

That usually happens if you make any significant changes to the hardware. You don't need to buy a new computer. Just run through the activation procedure. It takes about a whole 30 seconds. You don't need to install the genuine validation tool to activate.
    Last edited by c_hegge; 12-29-2014, 03:24 PM.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

C hegge thanks for the help but I can’t find XP Home CD or product key.

1. Locate your product key. Microsoft product keys contain 25 characters divided into groups of five, and are located on the proof of license label attached to your DVD case or on a Certificate of Authenticity attached to your PC.
      2. Click Start.
      3. Point to All Programs.
      4. Click Activate Windows.
      5. Follow the instructions to activate Windows XP.

I had it back when I installed MS security essentials why are they after me now?
      It says buy a copy of windows 7 or else.

The only thing that has changed on this old computer is an updating Firefox a few weeks ago.

Comment

You can find your install cd key by using a key finder program like magic jelly bean
        Also check your system bios date, sometimes if it gets changed back to default this can happen
        Also fyi Don't install windows updates KB2934207 or KB2949787
        Last edited by R_J; 12-29-2014, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Well that was scary.
          I found the XP CD and this time MS activate did not ask for the product key.

Sorry I just noticed this is in the wrong section please delete.

Comment

Thread moved to appropriate section

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

sometimes if its not connected to the internet for a loong period of time (of has been off for that long period of time) it will do this, reconnect it to the internet, and rebooting usually fixes such things for me
              Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
              ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Try finding a free key on google.

Comment

^
                  You can't. Even if you do find one, it will be blacklisted and activation will fail.

Comment

Thanks for the help I found the MS product Key and turned off the dooms day clock.

Microsoft is leaving me alone for now.

Don’t have a clue why MS came after me nothing has changed with this old computer.

M$ night have targeted me because I have automatic updates turned off?

Comment

Originally posted by ron350 View Post
                      Thanks for the help I found the MS product Key and turned off the dooms day clock.

Microsoft is leaving me alone for now.

Don't have a clue why MS came after me nothing has changed with this old computer.

On most non-oem installs of Windows XP if it has been more than 120 days after the original activation and the computer has not had sufficent internet time to connect to a Microsoft server, then it will think that it is a fresh install and needs to be reactivated, that all.

Comment

That moment when you realize that pirate activators are designed to work better than the M$ activation system...
                        Keyboard not detected, press F1 to continue...

Comment

Sometimes I faced it as well. I use google to solve that problem

Comment

Originally posted by ron350 View Post

Not likely. Likely when vice-versa.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

follow like this, you just need to safemod and restore window is ok

Comment

Working...
                              X