Friend upgraded, got a computer for free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Friend upgraded, got a computer for free

I have enough Panny FLs to replace all of the OSTs, but i honestly think this board is not worth it. I will replace the high-side KZGs though.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Yeah if you're low on caps, it should be okay to leave them at least for now. With low ripple from a good PSU + good case airflow, I've seen OST last over 25,000 running hours, even on a buck converter. I'd put OST as one of the best of Taiwanese caps, ahead of Teapo and Ltec

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
        I have enough Panny FLs to replace all of the OSTs, but i honestly think this board is not worth it.
        But it works and isn't that old .
        One thing I do when I want to recap a motherboard but don't really want to use too many caps is, for the crap caps that are in parallel (but not on the CPU), I only replace one or two. That way, if all of the crappy caps are to fail, I have at least one reliable one in there "hold the front" . Also, when I want to save caps, I don't do the ones that filter power for the I/O ports on the back or USB headers (but mind you, this applies to my own motherboards only).

Originally posted by Pentium4
        I've seen OST last over 25,000 running hours, even on a buck converter. I'd put OST as one of the best of Taiwanese caps, ahead of Teapo and Ltec
        Me too, but mostly in very very old motherboards.

Comment

Here's my rule of thumb. If a board supports a C2D or sAM2 AMD CPU, then it's pretty much always worth a full recap with new caps. If it's any older (s939 or pre-C2D s775 or older), it just goes straight to the scrap heap and isn't even worth hanging onto if it works.

C2Ds were so much more powerful than P4s that a basic C2D-based PDC (E2200 for instance) with 2GB RAM and 160GB HDD would sell for $150 or so. However, I can't even give a P4 with similar RAM and HDD away.
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
            If it's any older (s939 or pre-C2D s775 or older), it just goes straight to the scrap heap and isn't even worth hanging onto if it works.
            Well, I can understand that for pre-C2D s775 motherboards - for some reason, people just don't care for Pentium 4 and Pentium D CPUs anymore. But with s939 it's a different story. Some people here (USA) on eBay will pay decent bucks for SLI-capable s939 motherboards - especially if it comes with a X2 CPU (or better - Athlon 64 FX). Just keep that in mind before tossing anything in your scrap pile.

Comment

I generally have the same rule of thumb. However, the Cedar Mill and Presler 65nm revisions really helped out a lot with power consumption on those CPU's. They're still fast, but crippled by flash, mostly. My main server now (Optiplex GX620) is a Pentium 4 Cedar Mill 3.2GHz Rev. D0, which is a 65W TDP. With a half bridge PSU, Dell motherboard with the 945G chipset, 4 DDR2 RAM modules, adaptec raid controller with two 2TB hard drives in a RAID 1, the system idles only pulling 51W AC from the wall after the CPU downclocks to 2.6GHz. That's low compared to Prescott. And, it's plenty fast. Fast enough to max out the gigabit ethernet port at less than 30% CPU usage. The motherboard has been polymodded by me too.

I know a lot of people will disregard P4/PD but they're plenty usable in the right application. Regular Athlon 64's are still plenty fast with enough RAM as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                My main server now (Optiplex GX620) is a Pentium 4 Cedar Mill 3.2GHz Rev. D0, which is a 65W TDP. With a half bridge PSU, Dell motherboard with the 945G chipset, 4 DDR2 RAM modules, adaptec raid controller with two 2TB hard drives in a RAID 1, the system idles only pulling 51W AC from the wall after the CPU downclocks to 2.6GHz. That's low compared to Prescott.
                My Dell OptiPlex 170L pulls 72W from the wall idle. And that's with a signle HDD and a 2.8 GHz P4 Presecott that doesn't downclock. IMO, that's still fairly respectable. When the CPU is maxed out, power consumption from the wall jumps to 130W.

I know a lot of people will disregard P4/PD but they're plenty usable in the right application. Regular Athlon 64's are still plenty fast with enough RAM as well.
                Agreed.
                As I've probably mentioned it a billion times before (and I'm sure people are sick of hearing this from me), it all depends on the application. The P4s and PDs do quite well with Flash and video encoding actually, due to their long architecture. Athlong 64's are better in games, though.

For example, my Athlon 64 3000+ is supposed to be equivalent to a 3 GHz P4. But it's not - the two perform very differently. Actually, I did the comparison between a A64 3000+, a 2.8 GHz P4 without HT, and a P4 with HT. In older games built around single-core CPUs, the P4s perform very similar to each other and the A64 3000+ easily stomps them. But then, when it comes to Flash/Youtube or watching HD video in VLC player (no hardware H.264), the A64 does the worst, followed by the non-HT P4, followed by the P4 with the HT.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                  My Dell OptiPlex 170L pulls 72W from the wall idle. And that's with a signle HDD and a 2.8 GHz P4 Presecott that doesn't downclock. IMO, that's still fairly respectable. When the CPU is maxed out, power consumption from the wall jumps to 130W.
                  That's not bad for Prescott. What kind of PSU powering it?

Agreed.
                  As I've probably mentioned it a billion times before (and I'm sure people are sick of hearing this from me), it all depends on the application. The P4s and PDs do quite well with Flash and video encoding actually, due to their long architecture. Athlong 64's are better in games, though.

For example, my Athlon 64 3000+ is supposed to be equivalent to a 3 GHz P4. But it's not - the two perform very differently. Actually, I did the comparison between a A64 3000+, a 2.8 GHz P4 without HT, and a P4 with HT. In older games built around single-core CPUs, the P4s perform very similar to each other and the A64 3000+ easily stomps them. But then, when it comes to Flash/Youtube or watching HD video in VLC player (no hardware H.264), the A64 does the worst, followed by the non-HT P4, followed by the P4 with the HT.
                  Really? Interesting. I do hate how much flash is used in ads on most websites.

I actually have been running fun experiments with a P4. It's the fastest stock P4 configuration possible. Pentium 4 3.73GHz/2MB/1066 in an Asus motherboard with P45 chipset, 8GB 1066GHz DDR2 in dual channel mode, BFG GTX 260 OC'd, 120GB SSD. It will play Netflix in HD with zero problems. It will play 1080p videos in VLC no problem with h.264. It will play some decent games at 1920x1200 with V-sync enabled. It browses the web very quickly, but hates having more than two browser windows open running flash. It also encoded mp3 files faster than my Pentium E2160 @ stock, because the program can only utilize one core. It also makes sure the PSU is not bored, if you know what I mean

Comment

That's not bad for Prescott. What kind of PSU powering it?
                    HiPro, of course! (the good old and beefy 250W models)
                    Not sure if it has Teapo SC or Asiacon caps. But it's fine, I'm sure. Last I checked it a few days ago, the fan had a ton of dust on it. Should probably take it apart soon and clean it. (But probably won't )

I actually have been running fun experiments with a P4. It's the fastest stock P4 configuration possible. Pentium 4 3.73GHz/2MB/1066 in an Asus motherboard with P45 chipset, 8GB 1066GHz DDR2 in dual channel mode, BFG GTX 260 OC'd, 120GB SSD. It will play Netflix in HD with zero problems. It will play 1080p videos in VLC no problem with h.264. It will play some decent games at 1920x1200 with V-sync enabled.
                    That's pretty amazing!
                    However, I think you should try that experiment without the GTX 260 since it very likely is helping with the 1080p video playback. Pretty much anything after (and including) the Radeon HD 2x00 and GeForce 8x00 series has hardware H.264 acceleration.
                    So the question is, can you still run 1080p vidoe with that CPU without a H.264-capable graphics card?
                    I'm actually thinking it probably still would. But curious what the CPU utilization would be. My A64 X2 6000+ actually chocked with a high quality 1080p video in VLC but has no problems with the same in YouTube since I added a Radeon HD 2400 XT video card in there. (VLC can't seem to utilize my card's H.264 capability for some reason).

It also makes sure the PSU is not bored, if you know what I mean

Man, your PSU is going to get ripped with all of that exercise! Just watch it - next time you open the case, and it will be overflowing with new and thicker wires.
                    Last edited by momaka; 01-13-2015, 05:28 PM.

Comment

HiPro, of course!
                      Oh yeah, the one that has enough heatsinkage for a 500W PSU?

However, I think you should try that experiment without the GTX 260 since it very likely is helping with the 1080p video playback.
                      It can't. It gets choppy, which is understandable, especially if your 6000+ can't do it. However, I think these P4's benefit a lot from the 800 to 1066FSB jump.

Man, your PSU is going to get ripped with all of that exercise! Just watch it - next time you open the case, and it will be overflowing with new and thicker wires.
                      that's a good one! It's actually a recapped Lepa Maxbron 450. Even being 80 plus bronze, it kicks out noticeable heat at idle, and the fan revs up when the CPU is under heavy load. When the CPU and GPU are both working hard, the PSU gets warm.

Sorry Th3_uN1Qu3 for taking your thread off track
                      Last edited by Pentium4; 01-13-2015, 07:53 PM.

Comment

It can't. It gets choppy, which is understandable, especially if your 6000+ can't do it.
                        Interesting.
                        I thought the high clock + long Netburest architecture would be better suited for that.

Comment

Working...
                        X