Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

came home and smelled burnt electronics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

came home and smelled burnt electronics!

i came home to the smell of burnt electronics. the first thought in my head was "oh shit! my yamaha is cooked!" but it was fine. next was "what else would self destruct?" so i checked my computer, TV, Blu Ray, NAS server, router, printer, etc. well, my UPS was off, but i still had power to the Battery protected sockets, not a very good sign. tried to power it back on and it immediately went on battery and shut off, with the sockets still powered. its whats cooked.

any similar experiences coming home to burning electronics or cooked UPSes?
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Re: came home and smelled burnt electronics!

Had a surge protector go poof from a lightning strike.....destroyed it. Nothing plugged into it was harmed, it did its job.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      Had a surge protector go poof from a lightning strike.....destroyed it. Nothing plugged into it was harmed, it did its job.
      when i get the thing open i will post what i see. a shorted zener diode? shorted TVS? blown something? i don't know ATM.
      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

My buddy had a UPS go recently as well... not the battery either. Ones with bad batteries are a dime a dozen at thrift stores around here, so it's an easy fix.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

So far it's all been power supplies... PC (ATX) and wall warts (switching).

At least that's what all my "what's that burning smell" questions end up being answered as...

Comment

Do you have one of these type of treadmills? https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43064

My folks have one of these that released the magic smoke a few years ago. It freaked my mom out to have the burning smell in the house with no apparent source.

Comment

Came home one day and the house reeked of burnt vinyl and plastic.

My brother spilt yogurt and all sorts of other crap under his desk and it finally got to the power strip. He wasn't pleased I didn't give him one and he had to buy another but it's a good thing this self destructed rather than burning the house down.

This Technics SU-8011 also burnt up, literally. I was standing there when it happened, testing different inputs to see if I had a case of bad switch or something really wrong since fuses weren't blown. After about a minute of it being on it lit up orange and let out some nice sulfur smelling smoke and stayed lit a few seconds after power was removed.

Attached Files

Comment

I had some really old power strip, which were thrown here and there(connector shorted probably). Once I connected something to it and flambe'd itself haha.

Comment

Well, smells burnt, nothing obvious though.
                  Attached Files

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by Compgeke View Post
                    Came home one day and the house reeked of burnt vinyl and plastic.

My brother spilt yogurt and all sorts of other crap under his desk and it finally got to the power strip. He wasn't pleased I didn't give him one and he had to buy another but it's a good thing this self destructed rather than burning the house down.

This Technics SU-8011 also burnt up, literally. I was standing there when it happened, testing different inputs to see if I had a case of bad switch or something really wrong since fuses weren't blown. After about a minute of it being on it lit up orange and let out some nice sulfur smelling smoke and stayed lit a few seconds after power was removed.

How does yogurt or any other food manage to get that close to the power strip?

Comment

Easy: You're my brother. He just threw all the garbage on the floor to the left of his desk, left soda cans and cups on the desk that got knocked off and all that crap.

If you clean it doesn't happen, if you use your room as a dumpster that happens.

Comment

Could poor grounding of the outlet in question be a contributor?
                        I've read that in a number of buildings in North America, the outlets have not been grounded correctly.
                        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Working...
                        X