Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Originally posted by budwich View Post
    Before you go the "final step", I would take the bezel off and "gently" look at the "under side" of the "tab cables" going from the panel to the edge boards on each side. IF you are lucky, you might be able to spot the bad cable by way of seeing things like "burn spots", "bad drivers chip", etc which will then confirm which side is bad.

Good idea- I was wondering if the bezel came completely off without any special tricks- I'll definitely post the pics

Comment

Yes that's a good idea. I didn't see any on mine. As it appeared that the tab bond.was actually delaminating itself from the panel. When I pressed on the tab I could see the lines get bigger/smaller when I messed with it.

On a side note it appears another member is about to do a 70 inch Sharp in the same manner so if you manage to fix your that will make 4 confirmed fixes.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49791
      Last edited by freakaftr8; 10-21-2015, 02:05 PM.
      Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

on my sharp, when I "looked" under the cable, one driver chip had "bonded" to the panel plastic side and torn apart when I moved the cable so the "clue" became obvious and it was an "oh oh" moment.

As for the bezel, I had my set in an elevated position sitting on top of a "work space". I had two "fence boards" running the width of the TV (ie. greater than width by a couple of inches. I then "strategically" mounted 2X4 blocks of wood to the boards such that they positioned themselves in open back areas where the metal panel back had no obstructions. This allowed me to leave all boards attached and then work on the underside (which will be your back side) to take off screws associated with the bezel and also look and work on the top where you have to remove the tab cables. I found that the bezel was pretty integral in holding the "body" of the panel to some degree of stiffness... if you remove the bezel and then try to pick the panel up, well good luck, it will be like toffee.
        Last edited by budwich; 10-21-2015, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Yeah I had to completely remove the screen and the back diffusers out of an 80 inch Sharp like a couple years ago. I had to access the backlight LEDs because of a short. Talk about sweating it

Comment

Well I got pics of the left side boards, the bottom ones but didnt remove the bottom metal panel frame and some messed up graphics that normally would have been a youtube video. I dont know what this is an indication of
            Attached Files

Comment

Cont.
              Attached Files

Comment

Cont. again
                Attached Files

Comment

And again
                  Attached Files

Comment

:-(
                    I am not sure what you have done. Your pictures don't show both side tab cables, just one side "set". Does that mean you didn't look at the other side or that they are still there and you took off the side that the pictures are from? Those picture of the tabs don't appear to show any direct issues which could be the way it is.

The pictures of the screen appear to show major issues with tcon... but also some issue with the drivers... :-( Please explain more clearly exactly what you did.

PS. those picture of the side tab cables show the "edge board side of things". What did the "panel side of things" look like. Again, please take some time to explain more about what you have done along with what we are looking at.
                    Last edited by budwich; 10-22-2015, 06:55 AM.

Comment

I think I see what's going on here. You're running the TV with the left hand driver tabs disconnected From the bottom boards but you never pulled them off the panel correct?

Am I also correct to assume that you're trying to display an all white image?

I can clearly see a defective tab on the left side directly above center wear that white line is going all the way across. I would definitely say your left side is bad and that is the side that needs to be removed however I agree with budwich, I think you should try a different tcon board cuz I don't know about those vertical stripes that are in the picture as well.

with these Vizio model TVs it is not necessary to remove the metal frame on the bottom. Just the side. also it is not necessary to remove the plastic bezel you can easily pull it away enough to get The defective tabs off the scree. When you remove the defective tab drivers directly off the screen the white cable on the bottom that transfers the bottom board connection to the sideboard that you're removing it is not necessary to remove that white cable you can leave it connected to the bottom board.

Anyways you are on the right path. Remove that whole left section. Tabs and the boards connected to them. So whet you will end up with is this.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by freakaftr8; 10-22-2015, 08:57 AM.

Comment

:-(
                        I am not sure what you have done. Your pictures don't show both side tab cables, just one side "set". Does that mean you didn't look at the other side or that they are still there and you took off the side that the pictures are from? Those picture of the tabs don't appear to show any direct issues which could be the way it is.

The pictures of the screen appear to show major issues with tcon... but also some issue with the drivers... :-( Please explain more clearly exactly what you did.

PS. those picture of the side tab cables show the "edge board side of things". What did the "panel side of things" look like. Again, please take some time to explain more about what you have done along with what we are looking at.
                        Well I removed the bezel to take pics then reconnected it and the ir / on/of, vol etc button cables with only the left 'LCD driver'? cable unconnected, the right side connected. I fired it up and played a youtube vieo through chromecast dongle from a tablet-this is what displayed- the flickering lines were mainly on in upper middle and strongr on the left side. The full color flash graphis would come every 15 -20 seconds and last about 2 seconds. You're saying thees a problem with the t-con even though the reading checked out? I may have touched or messed something up when I changed the transistors- I did 3 boards- I know it looks like the mad hacker did it if you saw the pics after I did them- it was like trying to split an atom. Anyway, So I should take pics from where the film-like cables connect to the panel?

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                          I think I see what's going on here. You're running the TV with the left hand driver tabs disconnected From the bottom boards but you never pulled them off the panel correct?

Am I also correct to assume that you're trying to display an all white image?

I can clearly see a defective tab on the left side directly above center wear that white line is going all the way across. I would definitely say your left side is bad and that is the side that needs to be removed however I agree with budwich, I think you should try a different tcon board cuz I don't know about those vertical stripes that are in the picture as well.

with these Vizio model TVs it is not necessary to remove the metal frame on the bottom. Just the side. also it is not necessary to remove the plastic bezel you can easily pull it away enough to get The defective tabs off the scree. When you remove the defective tab drivers directly off the screen the white cable on the bottom that transfers the bottom board connection to the sideboard that you're removing it is not necessary to remove that white cable you can leave it connected to the bottom board.

Anyways you are on the right path. Remove that whole left section. Tabs and the boards connected to them. So whet you will end up with is this.
                          Ok so I am a little confused, if I already have the supposed LCD drivers on that side disconnected, why would I need to not disconnect it if it's already disconnected (3/4") tab- if your're talking about the film-like connections- I think theres like 7 but if their connected to to the bottom board via the 3/4" left tab - they still ned to be removd?- I'll try another t-con, jeez I could have messed them all up...

Comment

Yes that whole left side needs to be removed. As you have read throughout all the posts on this topic, both of those boards along with the.film like connect I ns all need.to.be removed to achieve a proper picture.

The reason being is that you cannot have any dead drivers still attached to the panel as this causes the image you see now. If some drivers are still connected and others are not on that side you will still have a date image on one side.
                            No I do not believe you have messed up. You are on the right path. Just copy what I have done in the pic I posted in my last thread.

We will get into the tcon board issue after I see what kind of a picture you end up with after you perform what I show in my picture I presented. My pic shows my right drivers pulled. You will be doing the left of course
                            Last edited by freakaftr8; 10-22-2015, 10:37 AM.

Comment

I still have one question though. What was playing in those pictures you posted was that supposed to be a red screen or a white screen?

Comment

Originally posted by tjmethod View Post
                                Ok so I am a little confused, if I already have the supposed LCD drivers on that side disconnected, why would I need to not disconnect it if it's already disconnected (3/4") tab- if your're talking about the film-like connections- I think theres like 7 but if their connected to to the bottom board via the 3/4" left tab - they still ned to be removd?- I'll try another t-con, jeez I could have messed them all up...
                                There is a lot of confusion here.

I don't think you understand what the "tab cables" are. There are 5 on each side, 3 on one edge board (top) and 2 on the other edge board (bottom).
                                There is an "interconnection flex cable" running between the boards. This interconnect flex cable has cable clamps to hold it onto the board. This cable is of NO concern.

Each of the 5 tab cable mentioned above are either soldered or bonded on one end at the edge board and bonded at the side of the panel at the other end. On the sharp, my tab cables were soldered on the edge boards. From your pictures, yours appear to be bonded.

As Freakaftr8 has been saying you need to pull the bonded tab cables away from the panel very gently... they will actually rip in all likely case... not a problem but make sure that it is as clean a removal as possible.

NOTE: you have to be very certain of which tabs you are about to remove as there is NO GOING BACK.
                                Last edited by budwich; 10-22-2015, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                                  I still have one question though. What was playing in those pictures you posted was that supposed to be a red screen or a white screen?
                                  Hi it was a ufc video, but I think there was a trailer for the witch hunter- not sur...

So is the any particular way of removing the film-like cables?
                                  Attached Files

Comment

There is a lot of confusion here.

I don't think you understand what the "tab cables" are. There are 5 on each side, 3 on one edge board (top) and 2 on the other edge board (bottom).
                                    There is an "interconnection flex cable" running between the boards. This interconnect flex cable has cable clamps to hold it onto the board. This cable is of NO concern.

Each of the 5 tab cable mentioned above are either soldered or bonded on one end at the edge board and bonded at the side of the panel at the other end. On the sharp, my tab cables were soldered on the edge boards. From your pictures, yours appear to be bonded.

As Freakaftr8 has been saying you need to pull the bonded tab cables away from the panel very gently... they will actually rip in all likely case... not a problem but make sure that it is as clean a removal as possible.

NOTE: you have to be very certain of which tabs you are about to remove as there is NO GOING BACK.
                                    Ok obviously since disconnecting the lower left 3/4" ribbon cable from the left which is what finnaly brought up somethi g on the screen, then it is definitely the left side boards that need removal? If so peel the film-like tabs towrda the front of the screen?

Comment

Yep that's it. All of them on the left side

Comment

Well they peeled off as easy as a sticker from wax paper… not not much of a change except a more full 'V' but still traces of red, normal looking input info, larger verticle block-type issue- no more horizontal line/ flashing lines but no picture I'm hoping this is a t-con issue or can it be the other lcd drivers…
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Looking better swap out that tcon board though. Think it's bad. But it looks like your screen is ok now.

You still have two more good tcons right?

Comment

Working...
                                          X