Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
    Looking better swap out that tcon board though. Think it's bad. But it looks like your screen is ok now.

You still have two more good tcons right?
    Yup 2 more- now I'm wondering what I damaged when I swapped out the transistors let alone I could have done the same thing to the other 2- we'll know tonite

Comment

You also need to double check the cabling leaving the tcon to the panel, especially the one going to the same side as the vertical lines. If the cabling is OK (clean the bare cable "pin" surface with some alcohol), and the vertical lines still remain, try another board. From my experience, when a tcon cable is not connected, and one "brushes" their finger lightly across the corresponding tab cables at the bottom of the screen on that side, you can cause those vertical lines to readily happen. So it more than likely you have some form of "open" connectivity on that side or broken tcon card.

If fact, if you do the "remove tcon cable" test (one cable connected, other removed) on the other side, the same vertical lines will appear.

Comment

So bud you mean check the cables going down from the t-con? So disconnect all connections,wipe with alcohol, then reconnect- I assume you mean bottom boards and right side LCD drivers? Then do the t-con test…

Comment

yes those cables especially since you have been taking them on and off alot between swapping cards in and out.

As for side... from the "V" picture, it is the left side of the screen, looking from the front, then on the back side, the right side cable.

Further, I would bring up the menu screen to help with looking at something that you would expect to see along with the fact that text stuff is easy to quickly determine whether things are good or bad.

You can take turns connecting and disconnecting one of the 2 tcon cables (ie. one for each side of the screen) with power off during the disconnect / connecting and look at the screen for changes.

I suspect that you have a tcon issue currently / still.
          Last edited by budwich; 10-23-2015, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Right. Like we cleared one problem but now we have to look at the next

Don't touch the right side tab drivers. The more you move them the more chance it have a break in connection. The only thing you need to check is replacing the t-con board to start see if the picture changes. We'll go from there.
            Last edited by freakaftr8; 10-23-2015, 10:13 AM.
            Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Right. Like we cleared one problem but now we have to look at the next

Don't touch the right side tab drivers. The more you move them the more chance it have a break in connection. The only thing you need to check is replacing the t-con board to start see if the picture changes. We'll go from there.
              Well I disconnected the bottom ribbon cables both sides and cleaned them with alcohol and the right side boards patch cable and bottom cable, swapped out another t-con then plugged in and shizammm a picture for the first time but the only thing is the audioa dosent work- only bleeps of audio for a second here and there- I disconnected the speaker cables going into the main board- no change- could this be a t-con thing also? Thanks for all the help!
              Attached Files

Comment

I don't think the audio goes near the tcon board. The main board does all the audio processing. What sources are you trying to play? check your audio settings.

Nice picture.... congrats on that part.
                Last edited by budwich; 10-23-2015, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Awesome man congrats! Another "operation " completed. 2nd vizio I know of besides mine now.

Your audio problem is probably a processor ic problem on the mainboard. Did you have audio before?

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                    I don't think the audio goes near the tcon board. The main board does all the audio processing. What sources are you trying to play? check your audio settings.

Nice picture.... congrats on that part.
                    Ya it looks good… funny thing on the audio- the main board works perfect in the 60- I recently put it (original main board) back in the 70 so I'm perpelxed as to what it could be. I did check the settings- reset audio etc. differeent settings- nothing

Comment

Awesome man congrats! Another "operation " completed. 2nd vizio I know of besides mine now.

Your audio problem is probably a processor ic problem on the mainboard. Did you have audio before?
                      This main board is the main board the tv came with- it worked perfectly in a 60- I just recently put it back into the 70

Comment

So you have just one of these 70's?

Comment

Yep same model. That's How I figured out what to do. Right when budwich was trying to figure out what's going on with his sharp and Tom66 brought up the side drivers I was already into this at the time. Just so happened I ran across that thread at the same time I saw what was going on.

I started the operation on mine dice I figured I hadn't had nothing to lose since it was a freebie. I saw the white line across mine and realized that what I was seeing was the whole picture across. Lots of trial and error to get to this point.
                          Last edited by freakaftr8; 10-23-2015, 11:35 PM.

Comment

You need to try different cables, different input ports. Audio on hdmi is carried on a different pin (I think)... so you can have picture and no audio but the decoding is reliant on the protection bits being properly "computed" (ie. hdcp stuff). Further, if you have an over the air antenna feed, that would be best to check things out further.

My guess is you have some bad pins maybe on the port. My sharp set's hdmi ports were "weak" as there is no strain relief provide by the set and the owner's cables were heavy and stressed the ports.

Further try some analog rca's to see if they work.... and go from there.

Comment

You know I did forgot the unplug the chromecast dongle into the HDMI 2 port and when I went to lay the tv down again on the base I made to remove the stand, it popped out the plug from the wall so now it could be the HDMI port on the main board- I didn't try another and this was the only source I tried last night so it could also be now the cord on the chromecast dongle. I'll scope it out I'm sure it's an easy fix. Those transistors were key since the the COAXA didn't hold up to the to testing. Anyaay, thanks for your help- if you need any of the transistors let me know I'll send you some I have plenty- I couldn't find them searching online but in China but once talking to an electronics module company on the phone- they found them by model number- Mouser in Texas…

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                                You need to try different cables, different input ports. Audio on hdmi is carried on a different pin (I think)... so you can have picture and no audio but the decoding is reliant on the protection bits being properly "computed" (ie. hdcp stuff).
                                HDMI audio is carried in the blanking interval on the video frame. It's effectively interleaved with the video data and transmitted on the video TMDS pairs.
                                This is why HDMI cables that claim improved audio must be bullshit, because how would they only improve the audio channel?
                                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                  HDMI audio is carried in the blanking interval on the video frame. It's effectively interleaved with the video data and transmitted on the video TMDS pairs.
                                  This is why HDMI cables that claim improved audio must be bullshit, because how would they only improve the audio channel?
                                  Cable worked good plugged in to HDMI 1 didnt have time this morning to check anything else. Will be able to tomorrow. Ya the HDMI audio claim is marketing bs. Worse case I could change the port if its bad or a new board. Was it you that had the Sharp issue- if so howd you make out?

Comment

Budwich had the sharp. I have the vizio. Another member just fixes his Sharp 70 the same way. That makes 4 of us confirmed all still working AFAIK.

Mines been running the longest. Budwich second longest. Almost a month. Still perfect.

Comment

Hi All,

So, I got a Vizio E701i-A3 off of Craigslist knowing it had no Video but had sound. The guy had just put in a brand new tcon board and fired the TV up for me. Not knowing that doing this would blow the transistor on the tcon board until I got home and ran across this thread. So now I have two non functional tcon boards. :P

So using my DMM, I measured the ohms on the transistor, tcon board 1: one was barely 300 ohms, the other side was 2.2ohms. tcon board 2 measured 2.8ohms, and the other pin 2.1 ohms. From reading this thread, pretty sure both of these transistors are toast. Will order the transistors today that were referenced by Freak.

Once I get the new transistors, will try the test method as outlined by Freak. Cross your fingers and wish me luck that I can get similar results of success on getting this beast to work.
                                      Last edited by Mayhem56; 10-26-2015, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Do you have the vendor information that you ordered from in TX, want to use the same vendor as you.

Comment

Way to go I started a trend! Lol. Keep us updated. These TVs are too nice to scrap.

Comment

Working...
                                          X