Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUSTech Terminator ATP-1655 PSU

Hi Folks

Have to try and repair a couple of power supplies that are used on Acer Terminator machines, they are ATP-1655, and the same board is used in ATP-1505 as well

They are a small form factor Micro ATX PSU that pushes out 165W for the PC, and there's no easy alternative due to the form factor.

Both power supplies are suffering from bad TEAPO capacitors, one of them has lost the -5V supply, the other was sort of working, but doesn't even start when plugged into my tester box, and it won't power up the PC in less than about 10 attempts, so for now, I've cannibalised a spare machine I have here to get the user out of trouble, but it looks that that PSU is also failing, which doesn't surprise me too much, the 2 I have here have 6 blown 1500uF caps on them, and one also has a bad 220uf as well. The "spare" came from E-Bay, but I suspect that any PSU's from around that time will all suffer from the same problem, so I've got to try and do a repair rather than just throw another second hand PSU at it.

I can source replacement caps without too much trouble, there are 2 or 3 main line suppliers on line, but I'd like to see if I can get a circuit diagram to try and make sure that I'm not missing anything else that needs to be checked or replaced.

I have the necessary equipment to do the board repairs, and enough experience to deal with these units, they're not SMT, so relatively easy to work on when compared to some of the later motherboards and the like.

I need to try and repair them, as the PC they are for is specific, and can't be easily replaced, as one of the software packages on it is tied to the hardware, and can't be easily ported to another machine without a lot of hassle, and the user is planning to retire in a few weeks time, so it's kind of important to keep it going during the transition.

I've tried the "usual" things like Google searches, and the like, but nothing useful has come to light, and having been a long time lurker here, I decided that a post to see if anyone else has had dealings with these PSU's would be worth a try.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Re: ASUSTech Terminator ATP-1655 PSU

Post some pictures.

It is very rare to find any SMPS diagram these days, it is intelectual property which all manufacturers guard carefully which is understandable - if you made it public, you'd have chinese coounterfeits within a week. You are on your own to diagnose here unless you post some pics.
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Rather than fill the server up with similar posts, there's pictures of the PSU on another thread here.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...89&postcount=3

I won't do better than these without stripping the one here a lot further,

Picture 3, the 1500 uf caps on the bottom right corner are all blown on both PSU's, and looking at the serial numbers of the PSU's, they came from the same batch of production, so I'm not surprised that both are down. Not sure if I should change the other caps or not, they appear to be OK, so the suspicion is that it's one batch of caps that were bad in this production, and I'm expecting to find the same issue with the third supply that's just about keeping the machine going at the moment.

Comment

Most of the remaining caps seem to be some Panasonic mixed with something else, can you identify them? Pannies will most likely be OK but the rest may also be good to replace. Other than that, if the problem has been caught on time I don't thing anything else but the caps will be affected.
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

yes, there's some more teapo caos in there, there's no visible issues, but based on some reading here since my first post, I am with you on getting them out of there.

The one advantage of having more than one to work with is that in the worst case scenario, I can at least get some comparative voltages between them.

The one that's not starting on the tester was working in the machine, so I'm reckoning that the only issue is that my tester is not loading the start line correctly, once that's happening, I suspect it will be OK again.

Thanks

Comment

Yeah in that case the caps are in bad shape. There is usually high capacity in the computer itself which most likely smoothed it enough to make it run. Just replace the caps and give it a try, you may start with some old HDDs first.

If the caps are 1500/16 I am out of stock ATM but I will be ordering more Chemi-Cons KYB. Maybe next time.

Comment

Working...
            X