Ratdude's main rig V5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ratdude's main rig V5.0

Wasn't able to read the text on the switching regulators so I used the LDO instead, as I also found prices on that.
    I still stand by that I think it's a kludge to have to use a molex power cable for the cards.

Just as an example your quote of: "full-height cards may configure themselves as 'high-power' to reach 25 W, while half-height x1 cards are fixed at 10 W. "
    I'm not implying Wikipedia is wrong but that's just even more kludge/bullshit/crappy design.

So what makes my half height card only able to draw 10w but a full height magically can do 25w? It's just a silly standard.
    Case in point: my 800GB Intel 910 SSD is half height yet can draw up to 25w in standard configuration or up to 28w (38w peak) if I change a setting on it.
    That's quite allot more than the magic 10w it's supposed to be limited for.
    But I digress again
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I think the limitations have to do with designing motherboard PCBs and how traces are routed to the pci-e connectors, how much guaranteed power a card should expect from the slots and other safety/whatever factors.

For example a small form factor PC may power the whole system from a 19v laptop adapter style power supply and the motherboard may have a small dc-dc converter on it to power fans and one or two hard drives, so let's say about 4-5 amps in total, and then it would make sense to have a limit of 10w/25w for pci-e x1 and x4 connectors because too much draw from cards could brownout sata devices.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
        I think the limitations have to do with designing motherboard PCBs and how traces are routed to the pci-e connectors, how much guaranteed power a card should expect from the slots and other safety/whatever factors.

For example a small form factor PC may power the whole system from a 19v laptop adapter style power supply and the motherboard may have a small dc-dc converter on it to power fans and one or two hard drives, so let's say about 4-5 amps in total, and then it would make sense to have a limit of 10w/25w for pci-e x1 and x4 connectors because too much draw from cards could brownout sata devices.
        Yeah. To simplify, if you make it so it will fit in a half height system, only expect 10W per slot.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
          However, revealing where it's coming from (how Topcat got it) would reveal some stuff Topcat hasn't gotten to posting, so I'll let that be topcat's story to tell.
          Well, how'd I miss this?!

The story behind it, I have a client that deals in unused NOS, factory returns, and refurbishing. They buy caps from me all the time....but unlike normal clients, these guys pay me in hardware they have around their facility....they deal with datacenters and other IT-related industries and end up with a lot of unused server & workstation supermicro stuff, as well as switches, routers, and gadgets that even I wouldn't have any idea how to use or what they even are...but anyway.... When they need caps, my contact emails me or calls, telling me theres a goodie box on the way and tells me what caps he needs....usually 3300uF 6.3v for soem reason.... That's where this X7DWA came from some time back, in new condition. It was the board used in the Ultimate File Server thread.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. Since completion of the UFS, my guys sent me another goodie box with an X8DTI-F with a pair of 2.4GHz Westmere processors in it. I already have one of these boards in another system with a pair of 2.2GHz Nehalem CPU's in it, which I'm saving for something else (cough shovenose:colo: cough)....so when I had a chance for another one...yea. Its a server board with onboard GPU (matrox g200), etc....and since the X7DWA is more of a workstation board, plus the X8 platform uses DDR3 and overall is an upgrade for a server, I pulled the X7DWA and swapped it out with the X8DTI, with 48GB RAM. The HDD and OS config remained the same as what was shown in the thread... I just didn't post about this.

Anyway, I had absolutely no use for the X7DWA system, and wasting something like that is just blasphemous, I gave it to Larry, since he was passing through the area on unrelated business, it made it easy (I didn't have to deal with shipping it). He'll make far better use of it than me....if it remained here, it would just sit in the parts room until it became an unusable antiquity...

Ok, storytime is over now.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Back from work trip, cable arrived.

Working on pics, for now, a benchmark:

One thing I did notice is that they were tossing smart errors at first, likely due to overheating. The apartment was hot and the side cover off (no air flow), and they roasted. With the apartment at a cooler (more reasonable) temp and the cover installed they run reasonably cool.
            Attached Files
            sigpic

Comment

Warning for topcat:

https://community.spiceworks.com/top...vers-are-loade

Having that issue here (switching to RAID 10)... I'll try again with fresh drivers (the ones I sent you may not be the latest after all?). edit- found some that ill try, they're attached.

edit- right driver, no bueno. Looks like Raid 10 + this controller + Win 7 is a fail...
              Attached Files
              Last edited by ratdude747; 05-30-2016, 11:09 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Picture time!

While doing some testing on V4.1 I had this out of service, which was the chance I needed to take pictures and make some more changes.

First, an overview of the guts:

Those HDD numbers aren't accurate as to make the breakout cable happier I reversed the numbering.

I added a Hauppage 1600 QAM card so I could watch the Indy 500. I also added a dual 1394 header to tap into the firewire chip on the board:

Not that I use either of those a lot... but they come in handy when I do.

The new SAS drives and cable:

Only one zip tie required... this cable assembly is a perfect fit and well worth the two weeks it took to come in from china. Every other cable I saw was too long, wrong power plugs (molex instead of SATA), or used pigtails AND cost $30+ (startech.com I'm looking at you, too long too).

Finally, the plethora of connections in the back:

Yes I did find and replace that missing thumbscrew.

Look good? It certainly performs well (minus the RAID card bootup time, but I'll forgive that).
                Attached Files
                sigpic

Comment

That cable management...
                  Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                  RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                  Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                  - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                  - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                  - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                  - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                    That cable management...
                    Good or bad?
                    sigpic

Comment

gets a thumbs up from me.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Could you clean that up a bit? Move unused cables to the back of the case?
                        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                          Good or bad?
                          Looks great to me, alot more tidy than what I have seen from other shops.

Comment

Hey, RD, looks like those firewire cables are choking (or blocking???) the fan in that video card.

We don't want any overheating BGAs.
                            "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                            Originally posted by shango066
                            All style and no substance.
                            Originally posted by smashstuff30
                            guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                            guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                              Well, how'd I miss this?!

The story behind it, I have a client that deals in unused NOS, factory returns, and refurbishing. They buy caps from me all the time....but unlike normal clients, these guys pay me in hardware they have around their facility....they deal with datacenters and other IT-related industries and end up with a lot of unused server & workstation supermicro stuff, as well as switches, routers, and gadgets that even I wouldn't have any idea how to use or what they even are...but anyway.... When they need caps, my contact emails me or calls, telling me theres a goodie box on the way and tells me what caps he needs....usually 3300uF 6.3v for soem reason.... That's where this X7DWA came from some time back, in new condition. It was the board used in the Ultimate File Server thread.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. Since completion of the UFS, my guys sent me another goodie box with an X8DTI-F with a pair of 2.4GHz Westmere processors in it. I already have one of these boards in another system with a pair of 2.2GHz Nehalem CPU's in it, which I'm saving for something else (cough shovenose:colo: cough)....so when I had a chance for another one...yea. Its a server board with onboard GPU (matrox g200), etc....and since the X7DWA is more of a workstation board, plus the X8 platform uses DDR3 and overall is an upgrade for a server, I pulled the X7DWA and swapped it out with the X8DTI, with 48GB RAM. The HDD and OS config remained the same as what was shown in the thread... I just didn't post about this.

Anyway, I had absolutely no use for the X7DWA system, and wasting something like that is just blasphemous, I gave it to Larry, since he was passing through the area on unrelated business, it made it easy (I didn't have to deal with shipping it). He'll make far better use of it than me....if it remained here, it would just sit in the parts room until it became an unusable antiquity...

Ok, storytime is over now.
                              I'm missing out, LOL.
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

There isn't much free area in the back of the case... so no, thumbs down from me.

Originally posted by Sparkey55 View Post
                                Looks great to me, alot more tidy than what I have seen from other shops.
                                Thank you. I take pride in the build quality and attention to detail in my builds.

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                                Hey, RD, looks like those firewire cables are choking (or blocking???) the fan in that video card.

We don't want any overheating BGAs.
                                One would think so but not really... it encircles the fan opening and I haven't really noticed any different temps or fan behaviors. That said, I did have that concern at first (and why I didn't add them at first). I do plan to eventually upgrade the GPU (as Topcat is kicking my ass in that department ) which may not agree with said cables... I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
                                sigpic

Comment

Well Shit.

The other night the RAM overheated again... and the fan was still attached! My wife left the AC off for 4-6Hrs... that's all it took. Stupid Easy Bake FBDIMMs.

I'm probably going to save up for a nicer case, with an SAS backplane and 865W PSU. I've had enogth of the undetected overheating.

I technically could trade cases with:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41187

but I really would like a proper modern SAS backplane.

Edit- found one, making a lowball offer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-I...MAAOSwKfVXLlS7

That ought to fit the bill.
                                  Last edited by ratdude747; 06-23-2016, 04:35 PM.
                                  sigpic

Comment

you kilt it?!
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                      you kilt it?!
                                      Nope, just had the available memory glitch happen. Edit- posted this (both post and edit) from it.

On the plus side this case has clear plastic cooling reflectors that should cool the RAM. Air flows under the the active part of the heatsinks and through the RAM; the plastic parts keep the air from going around the sides.

900W Redundant PSU... I don't want to spend the money (I have it to spend though) but for $215 that's a lot of case and PSU. I think I will buy it if I can get the price down at all.

All that's missing are two caddies and the SAS cables (which I think I have sitting in my parent's basesment; I got a pair bundled with V4.1's 9650).

Topcat approved case?

Edit- may be a show stopper in that it seems to be a server PSU (no PCIe power connections). I'd have to hack it in, which I probably could do?
                                      Last edited by ratdude747; 06-23-2016, 05:18 PM.
                                      sigpic

Comment

Here's one I'm not getting (cost mainly, but also it looks funny):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-564-_-Product

Who said EATX wasn't for gamers? Supermicro, what have you done?
                                        sigpic

Comment

Upon closer inspection I will need two SAS breakout cables with sidebands... luckily I saw NOS ones on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-C...oAAOSwQjNW-EBP

(and other NOS ones for the same price)

Also found cheap caddies:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-3...YAAOSwJcZWb7-2

So yeah, if I can get the price down, we have a winner. I'd have to mod the PSU to cable board to have a couple PCIe connectors (which I may just get on digkey and wire up using recycle wires, Unless somebody has some salvaged pigtails they'd want to sell me). 900W, yeah, that's all on the main CPU rail as the sticker on the front is for older Xeon (probably when SAS first came out, late model netburst).
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X