• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ratdude's main rig V5.0

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
    Warning for topcat:

https://community.spiceworks.com/top...vers-are-loade

Having that issue here (switching to RAID 10)... I'll try again with fresh drivers (the ones I sent you may not be the latest after all?). edit- found some that ill try, they're attached.

edit- right driver, no bueno. Looks like Raid 10 + this controller + Win 7 is a fail...
    Ok, I did a dry run today......set up the RAID10, and a mock-up w7u install. I had no issues with it recognizing my raid10 with either your driver or the embedded driver. It installed just fine.

What management software are you using? My only gripe with this controller so far is the miserable slow post time. It fumbles around for a good 30 secodns booting the controller, detecting arrays and otherwise fumbling around....I guess I should be used to this after decades of the same thing with adaptec SCSI controllers.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      My only gripe with this controller so far is the miserable slow post time. It fumbles around for a good 30 secodns booting the controller, detecting arrays and otherwise fumbling around....I guess I should be used to this after decades of the same thing with adaptec SCSI controllers.
      Sounds just like my socket 775 motherboards, especially my Asus P5QL Pro. (2008)

It looks like my Maximus II Gene (2009) likes to be similar, if not the same thing, too!

It looks like recent Gigabyte AMD motherboards do the same type of thing too and it can make folks panic that it failed to boot at all! LOL.
      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-29-2016, 05:14 PM.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

SAS cables and PSUs came in today.

Bad news: the SAS cables are too short... I used V4.1 as a test jig and found that my cables aren't going to cut it. Then again, they're also 1' long... I've since ordered the next longest cable I can get with the sideband connector, at 18". The case is slated to arrive Tuesday, as are the 2nd pair of cables.

Good news: the PSUs are in and look good... I decided to open one to see what's inside. First, the spec label:

Yup, 900W. 75A on the 12V... although the PSU backplane uses that 12V to generate the other non-5VSB voltages too. Speaking of stickers, the warranty sticker is kinda funny:

No, I don't wish to keep warranty. Here's what's inside:

It has a beefy primary:

And a decent looking secondary:

The 12V uses solid caps, which is nice. While the silicon looks a bit skimpy at first, keep in mind that's 6 of them in a well cooled case.

The fans (2 in series) are very loud, and that's when ramped down. IDK if that is less when in a system, or if the initial ramp down is all I get (I could see either case, as in a failure you'd want more cooling, not less).
        Attached Files
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Ok, I did a dry run today......set up the RAID10, and a mock-up w7u install. I had no issues with it recognizing my raid10 with either your driver or the embedded driver. It installed just fine.

What management software are you using? My only gripe with this controller so far is the miserable slow post time. It fumbles around for a good 30 secodns booting the controller, detecting arrays and otherwise fumbling around....I guess I should be used to this after decades of the same thing with adaptec SCSI controllers.
          Go figure. I couldn't get it to work for me... I'll look into it. I'd be curious to see what crystaldiskbenchmark has to say about your speeds.

I'm not using any right now, but when I was I used the stuff from Adaptec directly.
          sigpic

Comment

My paxville box has an Ablecom PSU in it. Had a lot of UCC caps in it as well. KY series IIRC, not known to be problematic.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

My paxville box has an Ablecom PSU in it. Had a lot of UCC caps in it as well. KY series IIRC, not known to be problematic.
              That's what the 5VSB uses. KY's are great PSU caps IMHO. I used them for a coupel of linear supply projects in college at least... also done some PSU recapping with them (along with nichicon HE).
              sigpic

Comment

Windows took a shit. Boot device not found soon after bootup... I'm going to re-install (and see if RAID 10 will show up this time) and in the mean time I'm using Adaptec's disk check tool to make sure my drives are good.
                sigpic

Comment

Windows took a shit. Boot device not found soon after bootup... I'm going to re-install (and see if RAID 10 will show up this time) and in the mean time I'm using Adaptec's disk check tool to make sure my drives are good.
                  My clean install is working just fine.... When a box shows up with a certain item in it, I'll finish it off.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

My clean install is working just fine.... When a box shows up with a certain item in it, I'll finish it off.
                    yeah you should be getting it any time now... hopefully by Saturday?

---

3 drives tested good, the 4th is being tested now.
                    sigpic

Comment

All 4 tested good. Likewise, my windows 7 dvd showed the RAID 10 array no problem. Son of a bitch.

---

speaking of drives, with an 8 drive backplane coming, I may keep my eyes open for a deal on more SAS drives. Why run 4 when I can run 8... imagine a raid 0 with that
                      Last edited by ratdude747; 06-30-2016, 05:43 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Shit, went to activate windows, and saw the "28GB usable" message of doom. Shut her down to cool off. It likes to do that right after a fresh install... IDK why.

I hope I don't have fried ram...
                        sigpic

Comment

Shit, went to activate windows, and saw the "28GB usable" message of doom. Shut her down to cool off. It likes to do that right after a fresh install... IDK why.

I hope I don't have fried ram...
                          I have 32gb worth left over from my 64gb upgrade if needed. DDR2 FB memory will never get used here.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

I have 32gb worth left over from my 64gb upgrade if needed. DDR2 FB memory will never get used here.
                            Ok. IDK if they have thermal protection... if they do I should be OK. I shall see... powering it back up now.
                            sigpic

Comment

also check the seating & slot conditions. Heating & cooling of the actual slot can cause this too.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

so far so good... installing drivers and the like...
                                sigpic

Comment

Windows took a shit.
                                  That's typical of Windows when you let Windows Update apply security fixes!

Especially Windows 10, it's common to get a message telling you that it's undoing changes and then Windows hangs at that message!

As soon as I see that message, I know I must reboot to Linux, wipe the drive and reinstall Windows. It means Windows fucked itself in the ass!

WSUS Offline, FTW! Because even Windows 7 fucks up too!
                                  Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-30-2016, 07:15 PM.
                                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                    That's typical of Windows when you let Windows Update apply security fixes!

Especially Windows 10, it's common to get a message telling you that it's undoing changes and then Windows hangs at that message!

As soon as I see that message, I know I must reboot to Linux, wipe the drive and reinstall Windows. It means Windows fucked itself in the ass!

WSUS Offline, FTW! Because even Windows 7 fucks up too!
                                    I doubt that. It was a hard fault, not a soft one. No idea why though.
                                    sigpic

Comment

Case came in today. The good news is that it arrived in one piece and most of my stuff fit OK. But, there is some bad news to report:

-The air dam isn't compatible with my coolers. They're way too tall... and they're bleeping SM coolers too!
                                      -Due to above, even with all the fans in the case (which were mostly blocked by the aforementioned coolers), the RAM was getting pretty hot... when I saw one get to 87C, I killed it. Either I get some 2U coolers or I hilljack a fan in there and pray it works... I'll look for coolers as unless I nuke an exhaust fan my only remaining fan hookup is on the other end of the board (across the top) and I'd have to make an extension.
                                      -All of this was with the PSU fans blaring. Despite there being PCIe hookups this must be a server oriented case, as that was nearly unbearable. I've read the newer 920W units are a lot quieter, so I may save for one of those (two is overkill, as I've concluded).

Sorry topcat, but this was no free puppy... I knew that going in though.
                                      sigpic

Comment

Sorry topcat, but this was no free puppy... I knew that going in though.
                                        Sure it was...only you could turn it into not one...HAH

It gave me no trouble when I used it in the file server case, and that case probably doesn't breathe as well as the SM..
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

PSU shopping:

Saw this, which is a pretty quiet supply:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperMicro-P...0AAOSw3YNXbUYy

(between the two 900W screamers and a dummy I have a handle or two)

However, this had a best offer, which I decided to make one of:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperMicro-P...torefresh=true

Only getting one since I really don't need two. Twin power cord was a waste... oh well, I may use it for the x3650 or something. Or leave it. IDK.

I think 720W is enough juice... I'd go with the even more efficient 920W (80+ platinum) but they're in the $85 range right now. A bit steep given the cooler situtation (looking for those next, maybe some dynatrons?)
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X