Ratdude's main rig V5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ratdude's main rig V5.0

I've settled on the Dynatron H6DG as that's the only 2U cooler that's also a side blower that isn't going to cost $50 a cooler.

I'm exploring my options. I know topcat has a pair sitting but I don't know if they're for sale...
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Nabbed a 720W psu for $36. Put an offer on a pair of Dynatron H6DG's as Topcats have been robbed of fans and I'm not sure if I can find said fans by themselves.

Edit- yes I can, I had two offers competing on the coolers so I probably won't win (and if I do, it's still an ouch).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynatron-DF1...YAAOSwf05XO8G9
      Last edited by ratdude747; 07-02-2016, 12:40 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

these use a 60mm fan. their stock fans are 8500RPM PWM's, but any 60mm would work. cover the shipping and they're yours (minus the fans of course).
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          these use a 60mm fan. their stock fans are 8500RPM PWM's, but any 60mm would work. cover the shipping and they're yours (minus the fans of course).
          Deal!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
            Go figure. I couldn't get it to work for me... I'll look into it. I'd be curious to see what crystaldiskbenchmark has to say about your speeds.

I'm not using any right now, but when I was I used the stuff from Adaptec directly.
            Nothing spectacular compared to SSD, but not the worst I've seen.

Just for grins, this is what the Paxville system scored running the same tests:

...and this was the same test on a SSD on the RoG Maximus Formula:

Attached Files
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Obviously RAID 10 doesn't read the same way RAID0 does. Assuming 4 drives on your end. I ask because technically one CAN read 4 drives in a RAID 10 at once in the same way you can read 4 drives in a RAID 0. Write, obviously not.

I'll probably go back to RAID 0 purely for performance reasons:

Yeah, awesome sauce.
              Last edited by ratdude747; 07-04-2016, 11:18 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Not bad numbers. Reads/writes across a raid0 should be similar to a raid10...maybe the controller overhead slowed it down....or maybe its not as similar as logic suggests it would be. Makes me wonder how this same config would perform with SSD's.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Not bad numbers. Reads/writes across a raid0 should be similar to a raid10...maybe the controller overhead slowed it down....or maybe its not as similar as logic suggests it would be. Makes me wonder how this same config would perform with SSD's.
                  Without cache, writes will be about 50% slower with RAID 10 since it effectively has half the number of drives to write to at once, relative to file size (for files that take more than one cluster). While you still are writing to 4 drives at once, two are copies of the two, so you only have two clusters per cycle of unique data.

With cache it's the same, but these only have 256MB cache. CrystalDiskMark defaults to 1GB, so the cache fills up before the write is complete.
                  Last edited by ratdude747; 07-05-2016, 02:27 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

PSU and fans came in. The good news is that the temps are down... the bad news is it will still be loud... And you in the back whose screaming "look how easy my i5 was to set up and it's faster...", this thread isn't for you

New PSU:

New Cooler fans:

Fans installed (the front stickers don't match but they're the same fans):

Coolers installed:

Air dam installed, final shot of the guts:

Not sure if it shows, but the case included a molex extension that was perfect for zip tying to the USB 3.0 cable... less mess that way.

Butt Shot:

Front of the unit (yes the drive order is odd, it made the cable lengths work out better)

It's running cooler but on "superquiet" mode the temps are climbing a bit high... it's finally settled out with the hottest FBDIMM running at 89C. Not sure if it's bad as it's neighbors are running about 6C cooler:

What is a safe running temp for FBDIMMs?

I'm out of here for a bit... better reboot and turn up the fans a notch...
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm running mine in the 'superquiet' mode, its makes no more noise than any 'off the shelf' system. What util are you using that reports RAM temps? CPUID doesn't display that info.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

I'm running mine in the 'superquiet' mode, its makes no more noise than any 'off the shelf' system. What util are you using that reports RAM temps? CPUID doesn't display that info.
                        HW Monitor by CPUID.

Shows temps for 4 of the 8 Modules.

V4.1 runs in superquiet mode... Even in superquiet it was a bit whiney from the PSU. The PSU is quieter when it's off (standby) but when running it climbs a bit. I hear the 920W fixed that issue but it's not worth $90ish to play with.
                        Last edited by ratdude747; 07-11-2016, 05:15 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Mine are nice & toasty too....

Attached Files
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

Mine are nice & toasty too....

Holee Sheet!

Have you run them that hot w/o issue? I've read that the max case (of the hottest chip) temp is 85C to 95C.

That said the temps seem better on the "quiet" setting. I'll run that for now and see.

All I know is around 98 or so I had RAM dropping out.
                            sigpic

Comment

I've never had trouble. I noticed theres some brand mis-matches in yours...or maybe you cooked a stick...but when it was here, it ran fine.... I didn't run them very long before the X8 motherboard came along. If the dropouts didn't cause instability or crashes, I may not have noticed.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

I've never had trouble. I noticed theres some brand mis-matches in yours...or maybe you cooked a stick...but when it was here, it ran fine.... I didn't run them very long before the X8 motherboard came along. If the dropouts didn't cause instability or crashes, I may not have noticed.
                                Remind me, how much did the 64GB upgrade cost you?
                                sigpic

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122019987077

I offered them 100...we settled on $129 shipped.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122019987077

I offered them 100...we settled on $129 shipped.
                                    Ok, not worth my money then... Not this week anyway.
                                    sigpic

Comment

I'm for real looking for a video card (well, sorta for real) as I'd like to get V3.8 properly finished, which means freeing up the video card currently in this rig.

Suggestions? I know there were a few in here but I'm re-asking. I'd prefer a mainstream card as opposed to a workstation card as I won't be running CAD or the like on it. No low end shit cards either (as the build quality scares me no matter what the supposed benchmarks say).
                                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                        I'm for real looking for a video card (well, sorta for real) as I'd like to get V3.8 properly finished, which means freeing up the video card currently in this rig.

Suggestions? I know there were a few in here but I'm re-asking. I'd prefer a mainstream card as opposed to a workstation card as I won't be running CAD or the like on it. No low end shit cards either (as the build quality scares me no matter what the supposed benchmarks say).
                                        What's your budget? Right now the new GeForce GTX1060 and Radeon RX 480 are probably the best cards for the money (currently in the $200-250 range), though they are sold out just about everywhere so you'd probably have to wait a few weeks for the new-release "hype" to die down. Unless you're looking in the <$100 price bracket these are probably the "way to go" since they match/beat previous gen top-end cards (GTX980/R9-390X) at a mid range price point. If you want to go really high-end (>$300) the GTX1070 and GTX1080 can't be touched right now (except by extremely power hungry dual-GPU last gen cards), AMD isn't expected to have a competitor to these until at least Q4.

Comment

^I was looking to spend under $200, and under $100 would be awesome.

I saw some decent fermi cards in the $50 range:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nvidia-Gefor...YAAOSwgtJXT5YW

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-NVIDIA-...gAAOSwqfNXjuSc

Shovenose suggested this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-NVIDIA-...0AAOSwRQlXgFsC

But that's a bit more than I was looking to spend. And slightly more power draw than I was looking for.

I didn't consider new cards as anything decent is going to hurt and due to my PCIe 2.0/2.1 limitation I suspect anything too fancy is going to be a waste.

That all said, the 1060 is a nice card... I may save up for that, perhaps. By then the price may drop a bit, too.
                                          Last edited by ratdude747; 07-19-2016, 10:25 PM.
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X