Ratdude's main rig V5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ratdude's main rig V5.0

If you're looking for <$100 cards I'd keep my eye on what sales are going on for the GeForce GTX950 and Radeon R7 370, both can be had for not much more than $100 now and with a new generation of cards coming out I suspect they will be able to be had for less than $100 in the next couple months. I wouldn't bother with that GTX670, it barely outperforms a GTX950, uses nearly twice the power and costs more than a GTX950 does new (heck with the new GTX1060 and RX 480 out now, the GTX960 and R9 380 can be had for around $150 new and both will outperform a GTX670)

For sub $50 cards you are probably better off with a new(er) entry/mid-level card than an old (4+ generations back) used mid/high-end card. A GTX550 Ti only offers about a 18% performance boost over a GT740 while using double the power. Going up to the $50-75 range, a GTX 750 or Radeon R7 360 will give you nearly double the performance of a GTX550Ti or GTX460 while still using less power.

While CPUs have been stagnant for the last several years making even 4-5 generation old CPUs still competitive, GPUs have not so it really doesn't make sense to buy a 4-5+ generation old GPU from a price/performance/power-consumption perspective.
    Last edited by dmill89; 07-20-2016, 04:13 PM.

Comment

On a different note, look what I found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERMICRO-M...kAAOSwGXtXhvkB

Made an offer... as I could probably fix at least one of them. Beats $90+ for a single unit...
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Back to the first note, Looks like best buy is closeouting the R7 370:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XFX-AMD-Rade...UAAOSwARZXkfON

Pending wife appoval and further research (reviews) I'm nabbing one.

Edit- Gonna wait for the GTX 950 to drop... as they're not priced much more and have more performance with less heat and fan noise.
        Last edited by ratdude747; 07-23-2016, 09:55 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Scored the power supplies for $33 + shipping ($56 total) Not too shabby if I can get them fixed up... IIRC they're 80+ platinum... and 920W a pop (and I might end up with two units)... I hear they're really quiet; hopefully better than the 720W I'm using (which is still pretty whiney during operation). No to mention 200 extra watts is a lot more breathing room for more SAS drives and/or a beefier GPU (not that I will need it).
          sigpic

Comment

PSUs came in:

I think I found the problem:

Gee, WFT happened here? Ouchie... nothing that can't be fixed with 5 minutes of plier work.

Anyway, I straightened them up, plugged the in and tested them by themselves and together... they both seem to work fine .

That was *ahem* easy... .

Running with two seems to not be too loud but I'll probably run it with one, just for power savings (since I have a blank cover for bay #2)... not to mention that SMBUS on this one is only showing one PSU... I'll have to see if that's a PSU issue (where the PCB got nailed?) or just an SMBUS limitation on my particular chassis.

EDIT- seems to be my PSU backplane that's the issue. Oh well, No biggie since I don't need two supplies here. Still a great score... That was like $27 per supply (normally $90+). Doesn't seem that much quieter (it's hard to tell), but the 200W is nice to have. May use less power too?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by ratdude747; 07-29-2016, 05:22 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Good score

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                Mine are nice & toasty too....

Yikes! Looks just like someone desperately OC'ing a CPU to 5.0 Ghz on a standard room-temp air cooler for their e-penis! lol

With those kind of temps, it's usually throttle city!
                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 09-08-2016, 10:29 PM.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                  Yikes! Looks just like someone desperately OC'ing a CPU to 5.0 Ghz on a standard room-temp air cooler for their e-penis! lol

With those kind of temps, it's usually throttle city!
                  Welcome to fully buffered memory.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                  Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                  http://folding.stanford.edu/
                  Team : 49813
                  Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                    Welcome to fully buffered memory.
                    Luckily, I never had temps like that, even with mixed sticks and the VDIMM bumped to 1.90 V for a precaution... (DDR2)

I can do mixed sticks of PC2-5300 (333 Mhz) easily. That's of course because all the sticks were assured by the manufacturer to do 333. (666) Seems that only higher clocks would possibly cause instability with settings I tried...
                    That was how I got 8 GB with DDR2... I ran a ton of tests and zero signs of corruption...

3 of the DDR2 modules I have are also assured to to 400 Mhz (800) I have 1 that's only 333-rated.

That was with timings of 5-5-5-18, IIRC...

Was that a toasty room? Looks like it, easily 90 F or around 85 F for the room...
                    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 09-09-2016, 08:50 PM.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Topcat, you should run Badcaps on this server of yours.
                      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                      RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                      - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                      - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                      - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                      - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                        PSU and fans came in. The good news is that the temps are down... the bad news is it will still be loud... And you in the back whose screaming "look how easy my i5 was to set up and it's faster...", this thread isn't for you

New PSU:

New Cooler fans:

Fans installed (the front stickers don't match but they're the same fans):

Coolers installed:

Air dam installed, final shot of the guts:

Not sure if it shows, but the case included a molex extension that was perfect for zip tying to the USB 3.0 cable... less mess that way.

Butt Shot:

Front of the unit (yes the drive order is odd, it made the cable lengths work out better)

It's running cooler but on "superquiet" mode the temps are climbing a bit high... it's finally settled out with the hottest FBDIMM running at 89C. Not sure if it's bad as it's neighbors are running about 6C cooler:

What is a safe running temp for FBDIMMs?

I'm out of here for a bit... better reboot and turn up the fans a notch...
                        My Gigabyte FM2+ motherboards have the same kind of temp readings for one of the sensors! The GA-F2A68HM-H literally did have blazing MOSFETs!
                        The beefy GA-F2A88X-D3HP has a MOSFET heatsink block. But still has a sensor with insanely high temps!

Just a heads up with socket FM2 motherboards!

And this is with a low wattage CPU!
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                          My Gigabyte FM2+ motherboards have the same kind of temp readings for one of the sensors! The GA-F2A68HM-H literally did have blazing MOSFETs!
                          The beefy GA-F2A88X-D3HP has a MOSFET heatsink block. But still has a sensor with insanely high temps!

Just a heads up with socket FM2 motherboards!

And this is with a low wattage CPU!
                          Holy thread revival Batman!

FBDIMMS do run hot... that's because the central chip is effectively a serial encoder, as FBDIMMS use differential pairs for communication while DRAM chips use traditional parallel data/address lines for communication. Just think how fast that chip has to run...
                          sigpic

Comment

Updates:

I've been thinking of some future upgrades for this system:

-Nvidia GTX 960 ACX2.0: I've been eyeing one of these for months, but the $120 bare bones used price is just a bit too high for me to jump. The 960 seems to be a good balance of power and cost, as the 950 seems to be less bang for buck, and the 970 just costs too much. AMD cards aren't of interest as the last two NVIDIA generations are less CPU dependent, which leads me to believe that on a relatively older motherboard such as mine that the Nvidia cards will be less bottlenecked by my PCIe 2.0 slot.

-USB 3.1 card: I'm finally seeing USB 3.1 cards with headers show up:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/produc...id=657&area=en

While this would use more the 16x slot's bandwidth (better utilization of resources), from what I've read that USB 3.1 chip may not be full speed, and a lot of these combo cards (3.0 + 3.1) only use 1 lane per chip, which limits me to ~5Gbs as I'm only on PCIe 2.0. Not to mention that to use the USB 3.1 chip, I'd have to use the Type C port... Hence why I'm shelving this idea.

-New Card reader: Since I built this, AFT has come up with, among other things (such as safety hammer usb chargers) a 5.25" USB 3.0 card reader with a USB 3.0 Hub built in:

http://www.atechflash.com/pro-77u

What I like is that it has 4 USB 3.0 ports as opposed to the one measly port my current reader (Pro-37U) has. What I don't like is the lack of an XD port, which I do use a lot with my old fujifilm cameras. However, I've already fixed that by ordering a pair of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330663967719

(I'll for sure use one with my main laptop which is SD only).

This reader upgrade will likely be the next one to happen, as I do move files between USB 3.0 devices a lot (just did tonight) and crawing under my desk to get to the USB 3.0 ports on my card is a bit of a pain.

---

All three (well, the first and last ones at least) are delayed because while I have the means, I'm saving up for the down payment on a future house. I got a somewhat hefty bonus (for an entry level engineer) but that went straight to savings. My wife didn't get me a "proper" Christmas present, but I didn't for her either, so that excuse is out too. I'm afraid to spend money! (Who would have thought?)

Thoughts on any of these upgrades?
                            sigpic

Comment

Another upgrade path:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-26K5842-...0AAOSwrklVf0Xx

Idea being I buy all five and upgrade/redo my RAID 10 array with 8 drives instead of 4, with the 5th being a spare/testing drive.

[EDIT- thought there was a model mismatch, which upon further review is not the case as the seller listed a different number. They are indeed 39R7350 drives. Waiting on yay/nay from the wife]

Thoughts?
                              Last edited by ratdude747; 12-31-2016, 11:59 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Made the order. For 8.50 per drive shipped, I'd be a fool not to...
                                sigpic

Comment

Posting to myself again (unless everybody is just quiet around here?):

Did more research, the GTX960 isn't such a hot card after all. Barely better performance than the GTX760 it replaced... sadly though, the GTX760 goes for about the same price (yay supply and demand).

Also, from what I'm reading my PCIe 2.0 bottleneck is less restrictive than I though:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...rformance-518/

So AMD cards might be worth considering. Yeah they run hotter, but I have a 920W PSU and if needed I can beef that to 1840W quite easily (PSU module #2). Wall energy isn't all that expensive...

Re-asking for suggestions... Probably not a GTX 1060 simply because of sticker shock, perhaps around $100ish? (It doesn't help that ebay stuff is more or less "here today, here tomorrow" with such cards).
                                  sigpic

Comment

I just sold my old Radeon 7770 Ghz edition (rebranded by AMD as R7 250x) for around 55$

Bought an XFX RX 470 for about 210$ in local currency (we have 20% vat and generally higher prices).. these days I think you can buy them for something like 150$.

RX 460 is also quite a decent card for the price.

Worth it, if only for the hardware 4K h264 and HEVC decoders and encoders (hevc hardware encoder only on windows 10 sadly due to... reasons) and HDMI 2.0 support to connect to 4K 60 Hz monitors directly.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                                      RX 460 is also quite a decent card for the price.

Worth it, if only for the hardware 4K h264 and HEVC decoders and encoders (hevc hardware encoder only on windows 10 sadly due to... reasons) and HDMI 2.0 support to connect to 4K 60 Hz monitors directly.
                                      If 10 wasn't so "play our way or else", I would have taken the upgrade on this rig. It supports 10 (in fact only two of my five workstations don't, and that's only because of the NX bit). I was able to make 10 behave up and until every update would undo all of the pre-installed app removals I went through hell to undo. Not that they would have mattered on this rig (I have the space, and I'll have more next week with the array expansion)... but for me (and I imagine a lot of you) the issue was the attitude more than anything.

My monitors (twin HP L2245wg's, $10 score over a year ago) are DVI, although I have a pair of displayport adapters sitting for when I do swap cards. I currently don't have desk space for any more (or larger) LCDs, so HDMI 2.0 doesn't matter for this rig currently. Yeah 4K is nice, but I'm not in the market for that yet (and won't be any time soon).

That said I can get the RX 460 used for cheap, but the benchmarks show why (slower than the GTX 760/960, which I'm using for reference), so bang for buck is comparable. It's a thought.

The RX 470 is running where the GTX 970 was on ebay... but with somewhat lesser benchmarks. I'd rather have a 970 for that price.
                                      Last edited by ratdude747; 01-02-2017, 09:06 PM.
                                      sigpic

Comment

GTX970 eats up to 180 watts, RX 470 uses up to 145 watts. RX 460 is down to 110 watts.
                                        In time, you'd save money on electricity and the RX 470 may also be less noisy.

With some tweaking (for example lowering the default voltage by 0.05v..0.1v because it's set high by almost all manufacturers) will get about 5-15 watts off the maximum power consumption and potentially give you even higher frequencies (it overclocks better with slightly lower voltage)

Also, the newer cards have more states, so the cards will go to lower power consumptions more often.. for example the RX 470 i have has 7 power states.

Oh .. and they also added Chill mode .. if you enable it, on games they tested and whitelisted, in some areas where there's no motion or you're looking at something static, the card detects that and reduces the framerate to 40-60fps (from 120-150fps) to reduce power consumption : http://www.anandtech.com/show/10894/...rofessionals/7

My particular card is the single fan XFX RX 470 because it was cheapest... so because it has only one fan they kinda use a more basic bios... for example there's only one power state for the memory and it runs all the time at 1750 mhz, on other cards it downclocks to save power based on what you do with the card (for example when watching movies i think it goes down to about 400 Mhz). It's not a big deal, the memory chips use about 14 watts.

I know the memory chips are the same hynix 2000 Mhz ones and I could manually overclock them to 2000 Mhz but just I don't see any point to it.

All games i try to play at 1920x1200 (main 24" lcd monitor) on high-ultra settings run at over 60fps so I'm happy.
                                        I finally was able to enjoy The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux (really nice graphics) and next I'm going to play Witcher 3 probably (on the 7770 got maybe 10-15fps on average due to only 1 gb gddr5)

<-- click to zoom it , that's how my card looks ( wattman keeps the card running enough to keep the fan spinning), if I close the app the fan stops (it stops when temperature goes below 55c automatically)
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by mariushm; 01-02-2017, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                                          GTX970 eats up to 180 watts, RX 470 uses up to 145 watts. RX 460 is down to 110 watts.
                                          In time, you'd save money on electricity and the RX 470 may also be less noisy.

With some tweaking (for example lowering the default voltage by 0.05v..0.1v because it's set high by almost all manufacturers) will get about 5-15 watts off the maximum power consumption and potentially give you even higher frequencies (it overclocks better with slightly lower voltage)

Also, the newer cards have more states, so the cards will go to lower power consumptions more often.. for example the RX 470 i have has 7 power states.

Oh .. and they also added Chill mode .. if you enable it, on games they tested and whitelisted, in some areas where there's no motion or you're looking at something static, the card detects that and reduces the framerate to 40-60fps (from 120-150fps) to reduce power consumption : http://www.anandtech.com/show/10894/...rofessionals/7

My particular card is the single fan XFX RX 470 because it was cheapest... so because it has only one fan they kinda use a more basic bios... for example there's only one power state for the memory and it runs all the time at 1750 mhz, on other cards it downclocks to save power based on what you do with the card (for example when watching movies i think it goes down to about 400 Mhz). It's not a big deal, the memory chips use about 14 watts.

I know the memory chips are the same hynix 2000 Mhz ones and I could manually overclock them to 2000 Mhz but just I don't see any point to it.

All games i try to play at 1920x1200 (main 24" lcd monitor) on high-ultra settings run at over 60fps so I'm happy.
                                          I finally was able to enjoy The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux (really nice graphics) and next I'm going to play Witcher 3 probably (on the 7770 got maybe 10-15fps on average due to only 1 gb gddr5)

<-- click to zoom it , that's how my card looks ( wattman keeps the card running enough to keep the fan spinning), if I close the app the fan stops (it stops when temperature goes below 55c automatically)
                                          IDK how long it would take to make it back on power savings alone. I pay $0.118 /kWH based on calculations from my current electricity bill...

As for noise, not a huge concern on this rig.
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X