LG 60pz550 sound but no picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 60pz550 sound but no picture

The first thing that happened was a weird sound when I turned on the TV, and the colors started acting up. This went on for about a month until one night, I heard another weird noise which resulted in the picture going black (off) but I had sound.

So now I have sound but no picture. The TV has been off for 2 weeks, please let me know what I should do first. Thank you.
    Attached Files

Re: LG 60pz550 sound but no picture

You have a va-tp and vs-tp at top middle of power board. see if you have voltages there when you power on. They maybe steady or only there for a couple of seconds so you will need to have test probes on them when you power on.
    I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Originally posted by dskall View Post
      You have a va-tp and vs-tp at top middle of power board. see if you have voltages there when you power on. They maybe steady or only there for a couple of seconds so you will need to have test probes on them when you power on.
      Which one is the power board?

Comment

Probably failed z-sus.

Unfortunately an expensive repair, had you joined the forum when the tv first started acting up you could have saved the tv with just a little bit of solder.

However now the z-sus has probably completely failed.

Pull the board out and check solder on the coils.

Comment

FYI

board layout

+

these are the coils you need to inspect.
          Attached Files

Comment

First, check all the cables if they are inserted properly. Check module pattern by using 'Tilt' key on SVC R/C. Proceed with the instructions of Hamie. Check and adjust Va and Vs voltage (refer to module label/sticker for the Va and Vs values). If normal, then, check voltage -Vy, Vsc, VzB, if not, it's a power problem. If -Vy, Vsc, VzB is normal, check B+ voltage on power board/control board, check B+(5V), if not normal, check Y-Sus and Z-Suz Board and replace defective B/D.

Comment

If you check, you will find that ALL of the screws that hold the circuit boards to the chassis are not tight. The coils in the picture have most likely been very hot. Loose screws and lead free solder have damaged many of these. I have one running in my living room..
              Very nice set.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamie View Post
                FYI

board layout

+

these are the coils you need to inspect.
                Thank you Hamie....how do I get the 3 connectors detached on the right side (picture 6 of 6)?

How much is expensive?

Comment

If you're talking about the orange ribbons, you don't need to disconnect them.

Simply unscrew the zsus and lift it up slightly. It might seem like it's stuck down, it's not. It has thermal pads under it making it seem that way. Then gently wiggle it side to side untill it comes away.

To answer your repair cost question, I believe shop Jimmy in the U.S do a repair kit for the board. Or you might find someone who does a repair/replace/swap service for it. obviously I'm assuming you don't have any soldering experience. You'd need a decent level of skill as it involves a bit of SMD work.

Comment

Check with Nicks TV in Az

Comment

Simply unscrew the zsus and lift it up slightly. It might seem like it's stuck down, it's not. It has thermal pads under it making it seem that way. Then gently wiggle it side to side untill it comes away.

To answer your repair cost question, I believe shop Jimmy in the U.S do a repair kit for the board. Or you might find someone who does a repair/replace/swap service for it. obviously I'm assuming you don't have any soldering experience. You'd need a decent level of skill as it involves a bit of SMD work.
                      I was able to unscrew and pull on the board with movement but those 3 connectors are stopping me from completely removing the board. It did look like some of those coils were missing solder.

On ebay, there is a seller that will sell the z-sus for $199 and then give you a $30 credit for the damaged one.

I saw that repair kit. I have basic soldering skills with an older Hakko gun.

Comment

Hamie, if I change the z-sus board, what is the percentage of success that my TV will work again?

Comment

Hamie, if I change the z-sus board, what is the percentage of success that my TV will work again?

Comment

To disconnect the ribbon cables... there are two flanges on the connector. Hold it with your thumb and index finger and it should slide out to the right with a tiny bit of force, but not all the way. Now jiggle the damn ribbon cable out. Try pushing the ribbon towards the front if you are having trouble clearing the 'hook' from the hole.

Comment

Originally posted by syaoran123 View Post
                              To disconnect the ribbon cables... there are two flanges on the connector. Hold it with your thumb and index finger and it should slide out to the right with a tiny bit of force, but not all the way. Now jiggle the damn ribbon cable out. Try pushing the ribbon towards the front if you are having trouble clearing the 'hook' from the hole.
                              It was the 3 connectors on the right side of the z-sus board. I had to use a flathead screwdriver to pry them apart.

Comment

Oh... those come out easily by force. Push it out, with your hand, rather than pulling it, and apply the force at the top of the board. The top connector should come out first.

Comment

Did resoldering the coils fix the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by syaoran123 View Post
                                    Did resoldering the coils fix the problem?
                                    I resoldered and now I have an image with black paint blotches. Does this sound familiar?

Comment

Here is a pic of my image
                                      Attached Files

Comment

first pic is right when you turn it on, second pic is when the static comes in, third pic is 15 seconds after being on, and the last one shows how most of the black spots go away.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X