Proscan 50" PLCD5092a-b Restarting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proscan 50" PLCD5092a-b Restarting

Hi all, I have the aforementioned Proscan television. Basically what happens is the TV will boot up like normal once you push the power button, the Proscan logo shows then it shows the channel select and almost immediately you see the date in the corner reset ( I can't recall what to but I semi assume it doesn't matter).

The TV then freezes for a few moments then restarts. The Proscan logo shows up and the cycle continues pretty much indefinitely. I haven't attempted to let it sit for long to see if it would ever stop doing it. Once the Tv boots up, attempting to push any buttons on the TV has no effect at all. My initial thought was a problem with the EEPROM since I had similar symptoms with another TV.

I was able to "resolve" the problem by freezing the EEProm chip which was suggested on the forums. I attempted the same thing on this one with no luck. Obviously that doesn't rule out the EEPROM as the problem but my gut tells me it's at least something to do with the Mainboard and not the Powerboard. I would think the buttons would still respond if it were the power board.

I can get pictures within the next day or so because I'm sure that will be important and I wish I got them when I was doing the freeze trick. Other than getting the pictures, does anyone have any other suggestions on what to look for for testing or a good idea of what's wrong? I do see EEPROM replacements are a common part on sites such as Amazon and ShopJimmy. That was also what led me to hypothesize the problem.

Re: Proscan 50" PLCD5092a-b Restarting

Unfortunately the freeze the EEPROM trick doesn't work 100%. The only way to really know, is to take the EEPROM off the board, read and store the contents, then write it full with FF's. Then read or blank check the EEPROM again.

Did you try to update the firmware on this TV yet?

Comment

"Unfortunately the freeze the EEPROM trick doesn't work 100%. The only way to really know, is to take the EEPROM off the board, read and store the contents, then write it full with FF's. Then read or blank check the EEPROM again."

Yeah, I unfortunately do not have an EEPROM tool at my disposal.

Did you try to update the firmware on this TV yet?

I have not. I could definitely look into how it's done on this TV. I know with most of the ones I've seen, you have to boot the TV then go into a service menu by accessing the normal menu. If that's the case then it will be impossible since I have no normal access to functions.

Comment

Birdboy:

RCA and Proscan are very similar TVs.

I have a 32" RCA LED TV (RLED3216A) with same issue. TV turns on, displays the RCA logo, then screen flashes entirely green for a split second, then clearly shows the channel number in upper corner, then resets itself.

Heating or Freeze spray did not work on this TV EEPROM. Same issue.

Reading the EEPROM and reprogramming to a new EEPROM chip did not fix the TV since the EEPROM contents are damaged.

For testing, I programmed an EEPROM from a different but similar 32" LED TV and the TV sort of works with upside down image and all the buttons are re-mapped but the resetting problem goes away.

***********The problem is definitely EEPROM**********

I need the proper EEPROM .BIN file to correctly fix my TV. I suspect you will also need to find a suitable EEPROM. BIN file to reprogram the chip, or replace the mainboard.

Can you post a few clear images of your mainboard? and the model number of the actual panel installed in this TV perhaps someone can provide a EEPROM firmware that may work for that combination of mainboard and panel.

(On another note, I tried to figure out the bad area of the EEPROM by viewing it in a HEX editor and I tried splicing some info from a different EEPROM .BIN file, but I had no success)... I may try CAPLEAKER's suggestion of writing 00 or FF to the original EEPROM IC to see if I can locate the bad sectors and see if I can "create" a firmware.

Comment

Sorry everyone, I hopped off this project for a while. So it seems I have two options, get an EEProm tool and put a new eeprom on the existing board, or just get a replacement main board. I imagine the price point for the tool and part will be relatively similar compared to just buying a mainboard on the cheaper end. I think it makes sense just to buy a replacement mainboard.

Comment

The CH341 usb programer will work, likely set you back about $10.00, eeprom another couple bucks

Comment

Working...
            X