Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung PN58B650S1FXZA Plasma

Originally posted by ajshoe View Post
    after examining this main board - not the C102 issue. They re-designed the main bd - hopefully fixed this issue. Have you ordered a new Ysus bd
    ajshoe/all,
    In fact I did this morning...I ended up going with the NEW board....I worked it out with the guy on Ebay (TV/appliance repair place in California)...$63 after a little haggling...with tax/shipment...said he has had it a while...for a set that came in that needed buffers and Ymain board...said he had a temp issue getting one half of the buffers new...owner of the TV never paid (dropped off payment for the boards - parts) as it was a large amount to fix...and he has had it ever since...as the story goes.

Its still in the Samsung Box....warrantied one month...

So hopefully with a little luck...it brings this old set back to life....hopefully the biggest problem going forward is where to put this monster in my office

Do not want to count my eggs before they hatch...but being home now (working from home) with the corona virus stuff going on...I could see me using it way more than I did this old Sony Wega I fixed a while back (new bulb)...Probably going to give to my oldest son.

Thanks again everyone,
    Chris
    Last edited by SolomonMan; 03-17-2020, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Guys,
      Problem...Looking for Suggestions...

New board came in the box very well packaged etc looks identical to the old. Very clean as expected...does not look like its been ran etc....looks as advertised as new-old-stock...I am able to send this back.

Plugged it all in and did a power up from the front panel...the ring of the Samsung sound at startup was heard but no picure. I can turn the set on and off from the control panel and each time the sound is heard. I have plugged in a BluRay by way of HDMI and did the input selection on set (no video or menu on set is displayed so doing this by ear). Finally after a few selections presses I heard sound from the BluRay movie playing but still no video.

I have double checked connections... including the removing and applying the TCon ribbon connection to the Y Sustain(Main) but still nothing.

I do see the flashing LED (LED2000) on the TCON just as it was before with the old Y-Sustain board...Is that normal?

There is 203 Volts on both sides of the removalable Fuse on the Y Sustain (Unlike the old Y Sustain (Main) Board). VS and VA at the cable to the YMAin are the same as before 203 for VS and 55 for VA. Also probing different spots on Y-buffer shows Voltage is out there on the Y Buffers.

I have included some pics of old and new...The single board pic is the old...I did see one difference between the board (which was not mentioned in the sale)...one says rev 1.2 and the other is 1.3 and the date difference are about a month apart...Could that be the issue...as I said previously I can send it back...Is there a way to test that the panel is good now that there is no revolving click from the PSU as before (Single Color Screen or just a way to confirm)?

As mentioned previously the Y Buffers tested good.

I see voltage on the TCON connectors - VS_ON of 3.3, nothing on PS_ON, and the 5.3 Volt label lines both have 5.3 on them.

Ideas?

Thanks Again everyone.
      Chris
      Attached Files

Comment

Have you tried to run the test pattern with mainboard disconnected and jumper placed on the control board in the event that you may have a mainboard fault?
        Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
          Have you tried to run the test pattern with mainboard disconnected and jumper placed on the control board in the event that you may have a mainboard fault?
          Please explain this process further. For example which jumper on control board and every connection on the main board?

I am looking for something exactly as you mention.

Thanks
          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonMan View Post
            Please explain this process further. For example which jumper on control board and every connection on the main board?

I am looking for something exactly as you mention.

Thanks
            Chris
            Post a photo of your control board.
            instructions here https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26790

Comment

https://youtu.be/JjrwTZC5nVg

Comment

Guys,
                With the Corona Virus Lock down thats been called for my state about 40 minutes ago...may be sporadic/longer time between my posts...I have to run to in-laws and care for family needs (move freezer) but I am watching my phone and will try and respond as fast as I can.

I have included a pic of the T-Con...and will try and watch the videos...

Thanks
                Chris
                Attached Files
                Last edited by SolomonMan; 03-22-2020, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tvtimmy View Post
                  All,
                  Again Thanks for the help!

Based on the Youtube Video Above;

Panel Label says
                  Va -> 55V
                  Vsc -> -190V
                  Vs -> 202V
                  Ve -> 95V

CN801 Power Supply Tests
                  VS_ON and PS_ON both test 3.3V at appropiate times and go to 0V Otherwise.

After TV not in Standby point and warmed up or On (10-15Mins)

Power Supply

Vs @Point Test -> 202.9V
                  Va @Point Test ->55.0V

YMain Board Tests

Vs @Wire Connection (2) -> 202.9V
                  Vs @Removal Fuse Points (Both Sides) -> 202.9 V
                  Vcc @Wire Connection -> 15.0V
                  Vscan @Point Test -> -197.3 (Should it be -190V and should I adjust?)

XMain Board Tests

Vs @Wire Connection(2) -> 202.9V
                  Vcc @Wire Connection -> 15.0V
                  Vb @Test Point ->108.5V (Seems higher than Panel Label should I adjust to 95V?)

LED on TCON is flashing about 1 a second maybe a little faster.

Please advise on whether I should adjust anything before proceeding with the Logic Board Test Pattern.

Thanks
                  Chris

Comment

Try the test patterns.

Comment

Originally posted by tvtimmy View Post
                      Try the test patterns.
                      Tvtimmy/All,

With Power Cable unplugged (setting the whole night unplugged);

I unplugged the SMPS connector to the main board and crossed PS_ON two pins over to one of the GND pin connectors. I used a LED leg that was cut from the light/LED to short.

Plugged power back in...heard a single click from the PSU board.

Removed the LVDS Cable from the Logic Board.

Shorted Pins 3 and 4 on TCON with a Alligator clip.(Left 2)

Screen black no life. (No Power up as before in screen)

Shorted the top pins on TCON like in the video. (Pins 1 and 3)...there was a discrepancy in video and my units pin numbering.

I assume this points to a failure?

Thanks
                      Chris
                      Last edited by SolomonMan; 03-24-2020, 04:25 AM.

Comment

All,
                        I assume this points back to something in the XMain,YMain, Y Buffers, and/or TCON as the Main Board was not involved in last test.

Looking over things I am looking for discrepancies....

The voltages seem mostly right everywhere...The Y Sustain is a new board...does anything need to be done with a new board vs a used board?

the XMain Vb @Test Point ->108.5V (Seems higher than Panel Label suggestion which says 95V?)

The Vscan @Point Test -> -197.3 (Panel says it should be -190V so its a little off)

I am baseing these concerns/questions on the fact that the other measurements are dead on (less than a volt difference).

The other possible thing...Is it possible that the one month (revision) on th Y-Sustain/Main Board difference is causing issue with the Y Buffers?

Not sure where to go or what to test next...Ideas?

Thanks again everyone,
                        Chris

Comment

All,
                          Did some light reading;

Look down at Plasma TV Repair Made Simple, Part 2.

The article mentions that some panels shut off, if voltage is higher than expected, but at about 3 seconds....does not describe my situation exactly.

Tempted to start again and double check all my test results with and without test Pattern involvement to see if there are any changes.

Thanks
                          Chris

Comment

I'd install everything and run the test pattern test again. Sounds like your doing something wrong on running that test

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonMan View Post
                              Tvtimmy/All,

With Power Cable unplugged (setting the whole night unplugged);

I unplugged the SMPS connector to the main board and crossed PS_ON two pins over to one of the GND pin connectors. I used a LED leg that was cut from the light/LED to short.

Plugged power back in...heard a single click from the PSU board.

Removed the LVDS Cable from the Logic Board.

Shorted Pins 3 and 4 on TCON with a Alligator clip.(Left 2)

Shorted the top pins on TCON like in the video. (Pins 1 and 3)...there was a discrepancy in video and my units pin numbering.

I assume this points to a failure?

Thanks
                              Chris
                              You did'nt do the test correctly, Pins 3&4 on the control board need to be shorted BEFORE power is applied, not after.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by R_J; 03-27-2020, 01:14 PM.

Comment

All,
                                Thanks for the responses once again!

I have reconnected everything again and tested as before and received the same results. (when the TV is back to the state of original Assembly)

I then did the test pattern test again (As I Described above)...I have included some pics of my process...Am I missing something?

Power is reapplied at the end..exactly the same as the video mentions previously.

The video basically has you power the TV down, short the ps_on to a ground pin and then shows the PSU relay click after you apply the Wall Outlet power to the set. Then the video has you turn the set off (remove wall power) and has you short the pins 3 & 4 together on the TCON and then apply the Wall Outlet again.

I do not see test patterns on the screen...Voltages are simlar regardless of test pattern attempt or original state.

The LED 2000 Light is still flashing about 1 a second in both cases.

Could this be a Logic board issue?...Why no test pattern?

Thanks
                                Chris
                                Attached Files

Comment

Try the test as in post #34 the flashing once a second suggests the other boards are ok.

Comment

I agree. Read how to set up & Run the test patern again.

Comment

Guys,

Thanks again for the help!

I have read and reread the test pattern process.

1) I have turned off the power to the TV (pulled the plug).

2) I removed the Main PCB Power (24P) from the Main board.

3) I have shorted pins 1 and 5 (24Pin connector PS_ON pin to Ground pin).

4) On the Logic Board (TCON) I located a jumper shorter (like they use on hard drives etc) and shorted 3 & 4 pins properly.

Upon adding power to the TV (AC Plug)

I here the faint PSU click and there is voltage as required for the Panel at this point at the boards (Ve,Vs,Vscan,Va).

Still nothing appears on the panel.

I then have tried with everything to the Main Board Disconnected (board out-(Shorted PS_ON to GND).), Everything connected to the Main Board (including 24P - no short PS_ON to GND), and every disconnected but Power to the 24P connector (Shorted PS_ON to GND).

Same result no life in Panel.

Is there a way to test to see whats not actually working...my novice feeling is its something in the panel (Bad Panel)...or somehow the TCON is not doing its job. Looking for ideas...Keep in mind I do have a Scope (Rigol DS1054z upgraded)...no experience with scope but if that would help...I am game.

Thanks again,
                                      Chris

Comment

need to be more specific on tests - is the Vs, VA turn on and stay on ? check 5V and 12 VOLTS. front panel led flashing or on ? does screen flash on power up at all ?

Comment

ajshoe,
                                          When the test pattern is being done the front panel LED never appears. (I assume thats because the Main Board is connected to the on/off controls touchpad and its not powered due to the connector being disconnected to be shorted (Pins 1 and 5).

When the unit is fully assembled (not in test pattern setup) the LED is initially off but when you plug the TV in to AC outlet...it give the Samsung music/dingle and the front Standby LED is off...but if you touch the front panel...Power On/Off the TV switches off (hear the PSU click) and the red LED appears (standby).

Whether in the Test Pattern process or fully assembled (AC plug outlet applied in both scenarios) the VS, VA, VE/VB, and VScan voltage numbers are present (similar to my other Voltage measurements in this thread). They do not disappear unless you switch the TV to off (Standby).

Now whether the panel is off or on...I have not seen any life/flicker on the panel in any of my tests.

I will say the Ve/Vb numbers are slightly higher than my original post now at 114.3V;

Original test;
                                          Vb @Test Point on XMain ->108.5V

As far as check 5V and 12 VOLTS...Are you referring to the VS_ON,PS_ON values when one goes to 0 and the other goes up from 0 when the set is turned on?

Thanks
                                          Chris

Comment

Working...
                                          X