Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TCL 55S405TBBA - backlights on, no video; T-con and main board replaced.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TCL 55S405TBBA - backlights on, no video; T-con and main board replaced.

ngth82, I think you missed something maybe... I thought you said that when you plugged in the usb, nothing happened at the usb. IF the usb is "light capable", then the light will flash IF any attempt is made by the system to access the drive. IT can't do that to "validate" the file and show you a code IF the drive is never accessed.

As far as "blind" is concerned, navigation of screens can be done if you find the sequence or see a layout of the screen on the internet. The sequence appears to be:
    "Using the remote control, press the Home button, then select Settings > System > System update > I can’t connect." So that is half the puzzle, just need some "captured menu maps" or even a youtube "helper".

Comment

Hey CapLeaker / I tried heating up the board before and cooling them down - no difference as far as I can tell. I tried it again this evening. No dice.

For heat, I used a hair dryer and went back and forth on the slender panel PCBs.
      For cooling - my only option is to move it to the garage (or boards go in the fridge). I don’t have cans of compressed air (only a compressor in the garage.. way more economical) Cooling didn’t do anything.

As previously mentioned, the tv appears to work “more” when it’s cold / hasn’t been turned on in a while. But no such luck today.
      -Thomas
      I'm a hardware engineer focused on networking equipment for my day job. I void warranties and fix consumer electronics for fun.

Comment

One other question: has either card ever been attached to a valid network?

Comment

I haven't been able to get this TV to turn on correctly again. It may be the end of the line

Budwich - negative, this TV has not been connected to my wireless network (BUT it does have a wired Ethernet port on the main board. I can try hooking that up and looking at my DHCP tables to see if this thing pulled an IP address. I can put a packet sniffer on the network too and see if it "phone's home" to TCL
          Last edited by ngth82; 04-08-2020, 04:02 PM.
          -Thomas
          I'm a hardware engineer focused on networking equipment for my day job. I void warranties and fix consumer electronics for fun.

Comment

:-(... I don't think the set like you... :-) I don't believe the main card has fully started up IF the usb port does not cause any light to happen on the a plugged in stick. Check for 5v at the usb plug.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
              :-(... I don't think the set like you... :-) I don't believe the main card has fully started up IF the usb port does not cause any light to happen on the a plugged in stick. Check for 5v at the usb plug.
              I'm pretty sure i don't like the TV set right now either!

There is 5V on the USB port. Regarding Post #81 about the light blinking on the USB stick - i was using a USB stick that didn't have a light. I swapped to one that does - nothing happens - there is no "access" blinking on the USB stick when you plug it in. It just stays illuminated (e.g. "idle"). It's a SanDisk USB stick.

Anyway, I placed the guts back inside the TV and closed up the cover yesterday afternoon. I turned it on for the last time before i kick it to the curb. -- The screen worked (for that time anyway). I grabbed the USB stick, plugged it in to observe the behavior of the stick and what happens on the screen.

From the USB perspective - the USB stick light doesn't show "activity." when you plug it in - again, it just stays illuminated -- "idle." The TV screen doesn't show anything indicating that an update is in progress or that it detected a USB stick was inserted with an update file. I had to manually go into the settings and find the software update menu.

From there, i selected the offline update option, THEN it read the USB stick (the light on the USB stick flashes accordingly). The screen then gave me the 12 digit code. (See Pic1).

I entered this code on the tvupdate.roku.com website. It gave me a 6 digit response code that i entered on the TV. (Pic 2, Pic3). Then it updated.(PIC4) When it got to 100%, it had a "update successful" message followed by indicating that it will reboot.

Well... after the reboot, i was back to the same non-functioning screen state. The TV was still "ON" (i can hear the clicking sounds when i increase/decrease the volume).

I think I'm done with this TV. Thank you for the help and suggestions and for being persistent through the last two weeks. I really appreciate it.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by ngth82; 04-09-2020, 12:37 PM.
              -Thomas

Comment

thats too bad... but it had to end sooner or later...

Comment

:-( and wow... you got some where but it continues to not operate in an expected manner. It is definitely hard to troubleshoot this type of set where there is so much happening between boards / system components... without any service manual.

I am rather surprised that the OS doesn't do anything with the usb port once it is being punched in as even very simple system "acknowledge" a port "intrusion".
                  This kind of reminds me of problems that people have with the "stupid" one connect box and samsungs.

Anyway RIP.

Comment

Yep. RIP to this TV... onwards to other things. Thank you again!
                    -Thomas

Comment

I read the entire post, I have exactly the same problem. I see that there was no solution.

Comment

Hopefully it will start for you at some point, then

disable Fast Tv Start in the power section of the system section in settings if it is enabled.

Comment

If that doesn't help, try, Turn on the tv.

Press the home page button 5 times.

Press the cursor up button 1 time

Press the rewind button 2 times.

Press the fast forward button 2 times.

The tv should start a reset and will likely turn on and off two or three times, might take a while, maybe just give it 15, 20 minutes to make sure or it comes back on whatever it does.

Comment

And there's always the simple reset, unplug tv for 5 minutes, press and hold the power button on tv for 30 seconds if it has one, then plug tv back in and try it. Just some simple things to try first.

Comment

If none of that works I'm thinking it's a problem with the mainboard, one of the chips is probably bad or has bad connection, maybe a bad mlc capacitor. Open to other suggestions on this mystery, I don't think they are all bad panels or bad driver boards.
                              Last edited by nomoresonys; 10-04-2023, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X