Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell SFF PSU's OSTs

Originally posted by mrmazda View Post
    Thanks to all for their generous assistance.
    Congratulations on a job well done. I know how you feel about those daughtercards, but they've become standard practice for me on the FSP PSUs I often re-cap. On certain models, ther's also an OCP board as well as the fan controller and PWM board, and a lot of the caps are 4mm!

stj - those Hellerman sleeves should be arriving anyday now, should make desoldering daughterboards a breeze.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

you ordered from mars - using solar-flyer delivery or something?
      that was soo long ago i forgot about it!

i need to get a fresh bag myself soon - i wonder which colour is cheapest now.

Comment

He he. I was pushing off purchasing it, but simply had to buy the pump on a whim when I spotted it in a little hardware/dollar shop in the flea market a month or two ago. They had the pump, and it came with two tips (One of them just shaped cylinderical, and one of them slightly pointed) and the price was only $6 so I bought it along with some no name brand solder, instead of from China which would have cost the same.

I thought that since the solder cost so little it would be unfluxed. Actually, it has a rosin core and it's pretty good stuff. The diameter is a little too big for my liking, but my expensive solder will now last longer because I can use this stuff for crude electrical connections, and save the good stuff for smaller, finer work.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

My recapping job here expired. PC shuts down after a short warmup period proceeding completely to boot only if completely cold, much sooner if trying to reboot after a few minutes powered up. Temporarily connecting a known good standard FF 320W PS and it keeps running indefinitely.

I had a friend pick up 5 SFF 280s for $1 each hoping to get a good one, and only 1 of the 5 lights up my PS tester. The good one comes with a fully functional and complete 280. A dead PS I opened is of type in "or is it" thread, and I suppose the other dead ones are same. It's board mentions replace fuse with same type, but I find nothing that looks like a fuse. Replacing the obviously bad Teapo SCs at C409 & C410 didn't help. As these produce no more power than it takes to light the motherboard LED, not enough to light the PS tester, I have my doubts there's any point in trying to change its OSTs.

Buying one off of fleabay seems like a better gamble. Anyone here gone that route for one of these and had success?

Comment

Part # HP-L161NF3P

I got ambitious and discovered my first invisibly worthless OST, an RLP, C401 1000uF 10v. Two more Teapos were also shot, SC C408 1000uF 16v, and SEK C801 220uF 35v. In all I replaced 11 caps 220uF and up, all RLP or Teapo. Two I had no direct equivalents to. I replaced C409 2200uF 16v 10mmX30mm with a used 85° Nich VR 3300uF 16v 12.5mmX25mm, and C801 220uF 35v 8mmX12mm with a used Lelon RGA 220uF 25v 8mmX11.5mm.

On first try to test it, ADDA AD0612MS-GA0 12v 0.14A fan would not spin. It resisted turning by hand. I put a drop of machine oil on the bearing area, then spun it up in both directions with 100PSI blasts. Normal direction didn't free it entirely, but reverse direction made it very free. I suppose the stuck fan resulted in more heat than the OST and Teapos could take.

Next cap order I plan to get better to replace those two with, but the PS has been working normally most of the past 2 days, left running overnight saturday night, and in use most of today and sunday night.

This forum rocks.

Comment

Working...
            X