X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vizio m50-c1 black screen

first post for me,
    I have a Vizio M-50 that went black.
    Tried unplugging 60 seconds and holding the start for 30,,nothing. 6 times.
    Read about fixing it with scotch tape.
    On the tcon board if I unplug the left side the right side comes us great. I tried taping off different sections of the bad side , the only results were limited color bands. Spent an hour with tweezers and exacto knife getting frustrated.
    I am ready to replace boards, but I read it is most likely not the tcon board. Anyone know which I should change?

Re: vizio m50-c1 black screen

You can try checking all capacitors on the left panel board for shorts.
    I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

also had a struggle but ended up getting a picture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpQdeV0KLl0

Comment

I had the same problem with a 70 inch Vizio. It turned out to be a problem with one side of the panel. When one side of the tconn was unplugged one side of the screen worked perfectly, when the other side was unplugged (and the first plugged back in) there was a problem. The solution is to remove the bezel to get to the tabs on the panel and tear off all the small tabs on that bad side. The other side tabs will take over and the screen will work. It goes without saying that this may be temporary or last a long tome. One person who did it five years ago still uses his tv. The 70 inch i did this summer is still working well.

Comment

This model does not have side cofs.

Comment

Dskall gave good advice in post #2, up to you to do the testing.

Comment

To make a better job is better to block a certain line or two if possible..

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                also had a struggle but ended up getting a picture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpQdeV0KLl0
                thanks, I watched the same video, didnt help me much, thought I would just replace one of the boards, a few dollars more but a lot less time for a tv that retails
                now for only $400 at Target

Comment

Originally posted by dskall View Post
                  You can try checking all capacitors on the left panel board for shorts.
                  not sure how to do that, not terribly handy with electronics, do I use my meter on ohms and see if there is a drop?

Comment

Originally posted by Davi.p View Post
                    To make a better job is better to block a certain line or two if possible..
                    but which ones, in the video the guy figures out which ones by testing the ones marked ck or clk but on mine there are no such listings.

Comment

A lot of these Vizios suffer from BGA failure on the main board. They get to hot and fail after a while. You can test by heating up the 2 chips with the heatsink attached with a hot air gun. Then turn the tv back on and see what happens.

This won’t last long but at least you can confirm the problem

Comment

Storyteller he is getting image with half screen disconnected, this means only a thing, half side of screen has a fault, not the cpu..
                        To the OP: make some photos of sections of the panel's half board on the bad side, i search for eventual diodes that gone bad, you will have to remove them, or is possible also bad caps.. post a picture of your meter or tellme the approximate cost of it..
                        Last edited by Davi.p; 10-22-2022, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HMontrose View Post
                          not sure how to do that, not terribly handy with electronics, do I use my meter on ohms and see if there is a drop?
                          ok, have covered this testing many many times, read thru this thread for procedure and help, youtube is a great source too: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...check+caps+low

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpRgRDbhOPI

Comment

so you check for very low ohms, go ahead check in circuit, meter set to ohm scale put a probe on both ends of capacitor would expect well over 100 ohms, can check for shorts, meter set to diode/continuity mode, put a probe on both ends if you get 000 or close to it it is shorted, can do as Bob does there, neg. probe on ground, pos. probe on either end of cap, one side will give a reading other side will read 000, if both sides read 000 or close to it it's shorted. THIS TESTING DONE WITH TV UNPLUGGED FROM POWER.
                              Last edited by nomoresonys; 10-22-2022, 06:28 AM.

Comment

appreciate the time taken to help me out. I will work with the meter a bit, but it sounds like it's a bad cap not one of the boards?

Comment

yes, looks like the problem can be a component on one of the driver boards or in the panel itself.

Comment

Working...
                                  X