acer XC-605 CH341A Programs Correctly but BIOS Still Won't Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

acer XC-605 CH341A Programs Correctly but BIOS Still Won't Work

hi all, so i have an acer XC-605 desktop which i believe had a bad bios flash.
    i setup an ssd for it and it didnt get recognized in the bios so i attempted a bios update with the provided gui from acers website (going from P11.A2 to P11.B4). i rebooted and it seemed the bios update was successful but when i turned off the pc, it would no longer turn on properly and gave me one long beep (fan goes on, maintains power but no display etc, seems to fail post).

i tried a bunch of stuff like reseating ram etc and tried to reflash from usb but since nothing worked i eventually just bought a ch341a and tried to manually flash it.

so when i connect the clips and run the ch341a software, everything looks fine, i can read the chip (MX25L6473E) and write to it, and the software verifies and shows me successful prompts, however the PC still does not start up. i no longer get the beep at startup so i know something definitely changed, but i still get nothing on display.

i tried multiple programmer software and various bios versions but get the same results.
    ive used, asProgrammer, NeoProgrammer, CH341A programmer by Shichang Zhou, but no difference.
    even tried changing the chip size in the software to 4MB since the bios file is 4MB.
    mobo model is MS-7869 v1.0 for reference

im sure it must just be something im missing but i have no idea, anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

thank you!
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 12-06-2022, 09:47 PM. Reason: acer XC-605

Re: CH341A Programs Correctly but BIOS Still Won't Work

Originally posted by shuten View Post
    hi all, so i have an acer XC-605 desktop which i believe had a bad bios flash.
    i setup an ssd for it and it didnt get recognized in the bios so i attempted a bios update with the provided gui from acers website (going from P11.A2 to P11.B4). i rebooted and it seemed the bios update was successful but when i turned off the pc, it would no longer turn on properly and gave me one long beep (fan goes on, maintains power but no display etc, seems to fail post).

i tried a bunch of stuff like reseating ram etc and tried to reflash from usb but since nothing worked i eventually just bought a ch341a and tried to manually flash it.

so when i connect the clips and run the ch341a software, everything looks fine, i can read the chip (MX25L6473E) and write to it, and the software verifies and shows me successful prompts, however the PC still does not start up. i no longer get the beep at startup so i know something definitely changed, but i still get nothing on display.

i tried multiple programmer software and various bios versions but get the same results.
    ive used, asProgrammer, NeoProgrammer, CH341A programmer by Shichang Zhou, but no difference.
    even tried changing the chip size in the software to 4MB since the bios file is 4MB.
    mobo model is MS-7869 v1.0 for reference

im sure it must just be something im missing but i have no idea, anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

thank you!
    Why you know bios file is 4MB ?
    Where bios file which did you read from the chip? How many MB is that file ?
    Can you tell if the bios file is read successfully or no ( because sometimes CH341A just gives us a junk file ) ?
    With the MX25L6473E chip, it must contain 8MB of data and the bios downloaded from the ACER homepage is only half of the required bios file.
    Last edited by hoaca388; 12-06-2022, 01:09 AM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
    Become a Badcaps supporter
    >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
    Thanks to all supporters.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Comment

Originally posted by hoaca388 View Post
      Why you know bios file is 4MB ?
      Where bios file which did you read from the chip? How many MB is that file ?
      Can you tell if the bios file is read successfully or no ( because sometimes CH341A just gives us a junk file ) ?
      With the MX25L6473E chip, it must contain 8MB of data and the bios downloaded from the ACER homepage is only half of the required bios file.
      thanks for the reply, below are the answers to your questions:

im just assuming the bios file is 4mb since thats the size i get on all the bios files i downloaded from acer

i dont have the file i originally read from the chip since i figured the original flash was already corrupted

the read itself looks to be successful since the programs match and verify with the files i try to flash

if the acer file is 4mb but i should be writing 8mb of data, how or where do i get the remaining 4mb from?

Comment

thanks for the reply, below are the answers to your questions:

im just assuming the bios file is 4mb since thats the size i get on all the bios files i downloaded from acer

i dont have the file i originally read from the chip since i figured the original flash was already corrupted

the read itself looks to be successful since the programs match and verify with the files i try to flash

if the acer file is 4mb but i should be writing 8mb of data, how or where do i get the remaining 4mb from?
        Get it from the original chip, otherwise you have to find the complete bios file somewhere or someone to share it with you.
        Always remember to back up the original bios even if it's broken before flashing a new bios.

The steps to program the bios chip are: READ ( for backup ) --> Erase --> Blank check --> Write --> Verify
        Last edited by hoaca388; 12-06-2022, 02:32 AM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
        Become a Badcaps supporter
        >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
        Thanks to all supporters.
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Comment

ya, unfortunately i didnt make the smart decision to back up the bios before erasing/writing

i'll try to find if someone else can provide a dump for the acer XC-605 system

Comment

ya, unfortunately i didnt make the smart decision to back up the bios before erasing/writing

i'll try to find if someone else can provide a dump for the acer XC-605 system
            Try this one.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
              Try this one.
              Thanks for the help ASB, i flashed it with NeoProgrammer, everything went successfully (unprotect-erase-write-verify), but the same thing happens when i start the system

fan goes on, but no display or other feedback

Comment

so i attempted a bios update with the provided gui from acers website (going from P11.A2 to P11.B4)
                there are 2 different motherboard versions,and differing bios versions afaik. try this bios ,its the same as you had originally P11.A2
                Remove the CMOS battery and press the power button a few times to discharge the board, flash the bios and replace the CMOS battery.Make sure the battery voltage is over 3 volts, if its under 3 replace it with a new one
                Last edited by SMDFlea; 12-06-2022, 09:50 PM. Reason: wrong bios posted
                All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                  there are 2 different motherboard versions,and differing bios versions. try this bios ,its the same as you had originally P11.A2
                  Remove the CMOS battery and press the power button a few times to discharge the board, flash the bios and replace the CMOS battery.Make sure the battery voltage is over 3 volts, if its under 3 replace it with a new one
                  Thanks for the reply SMDFlea!

Unfortunately i've tried all the P11 bios's from acer's site to no avail
                  i retried with the one you sent and still getting the same issue
                  battery looks to be working well and read/write to the chip is successful but i still get nothing apart from the fans going on

Comment

Thanks for the reply SMDFlea!

Unfortunately i've tried all the P11 bios's from acer's site to no avail
                    i retried with the one you sent and still getting the same issue
                    battery looks to be working well and read/write to the chip is successful but i still get nothing apart from the fans going on
                    sorry i only posted the update,by mistake . I have a P11-B4 bios you can try.Select the MX25L6473E chip manually with NeoProgrammer/ASProg don`t use auto-detect.
                    Do you know if your CPU is a haswell. The P11-B has haswell microcode

I`ll add the info you posted in your other thread,and you also posted at win-raid.....

chip is MX25L6473E (i believe this is 8mb)
                    mobo is MS-7869 v1.0
                    PC is Acer Aspire XC-605-EB13
                    SN on the case is DTSRPAA00435100C0C300
                    SN sticker on mobo is DBSRPCN00135002608EE00
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by SMDFlea; 12-06-2022, 09:56 PM.
                    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

sorry i only posted the update,by mistake . I have a P11-B4 bios you can try.Select the MX25L6473E chip manually with NeoProgrammer/ASProg don`t use auto-detect.
                      Do you know if your CPU is a haswell. The P11-B has haswell microcode

I`ll add the info you posted in your other thread,and you also posted at win-raid.....

chip is MX25L6473E (i believe this is 8mb)
                      mobo is MS-7869 v1.0
                      PC is Acer Aspire XC-605-EB13
                      SN on the case is DTSRPAA00435100C0C300
                      SN sticker on mobo is DBSRPCN00135002608EE00
                      Thanks, i just came across a telegram channel that had a bios for my device as well and flashed to the chip, cleared the cmos and, lo-and-behold, it worked!! im back into the computer!

Learned a very valuable lesson to always backup the running bios even if the flashing fails lol

Thanks again for all your time and help SDMFlea!

Comment

Thanks, i just came across a telegram channel that had a bios for my device as well and flashed to the chip, cleared the cmos and, lo-and-behold, it worked!! im back into the computer!

Learned a very valuable lesson to always backup the running bios even if the flashing fails lol

Thanks again for all your time and help SDMFlea!
                        Its a valuable lesson that everyone learns when its too late .Never happened to me,no never

Can you post the bios version you found to help others, it will be interesting to see if its an A version, and what microcode it has or any other differences.

Comment

Its a valuable lesson that everyone learns when its too late .Never happened to me,no never

Can you post the bios version you found to help others, it will be interesting to see if its an A version, and what microcode it has or any other differences.
                          haha definitely!

for sure! this was a P11.B4 version
                          Attached Files

Comment

Re: acer XC-605 CH341A Programs Correctly but BIOS Still Won't Work

ME isn't clean in that file.
                            OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Re: acer XC-605 CH341A Programs Correctly but BIOS Still Won't Work

Originally posted by piernov View Post
                              ME isn't clean in that file.
                              hi piernov, thank you for your reply. i have no knowledge about cleaning the ME or modifying BIOS files myself sadly, is an unclean ME a major issue? the computer does work in general

edit: because of your reply, i tried the BIOS that SMDFlea posted above, with the one i found online i did notice POST was a bit slower than usual (20s vs 5s before), but now with the BIOS SMDFlea posted it works perfectly and POST is much faster!

Thank you both for your help! big thanks to SMDFlea as well for taking the time to help with the clean bios file!!
                              Last edited by shuten; 12-07-2022, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X