ASUS STRIX GL703GE Motherboard Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUS STRIX GL703GE Motherboard Issues

Hi, pretty much new here, glad I can be part of this community. I'm new to repairing laptops motherboards (Only previous experience was repairing a Z690I STRIX with a broken trace on the memory slot, and it was a sloppy job but worked)

Bit of background: I'm not new replacing Laptop parts and doing general testing. Bought multiple laptops of the same model since it's easier to repair and got some that I can either switch parts and test.

ASUS STRIX GL703GE-IS74
    Motherboard Model: DABKNBMB8D0 Rev D All of them

Issues (Each one on a separate board)

One has a LCD Backlight issue (I got the Board Diagram which I'm uploading right now). Starting to learn this skill, already done some soldering jobs but nothing small in size. I would like a bit of help on what to look since I already discarded the LCD and the LCD is working as it should.

So far 1 of the motherboards is working without issues, and I was able to read the BIOS Information with the RT809F Programmer successfully. I believe the issue is with the bios on most of these boards (I think at least 2 or 3) For Example 1 of the laptops will boot into BIOS but won't boot into any storage unit. I tried to use the RT809F with a SOIC-8 Clip to read, backup and write the BIOS chip with the BIOS from the good motherboard but It fails to program the chip. I think It fails on all of them on the verification process. I'm thinking I should desolder the chip. What are your thoughts on this?

Edit: I also forgot to mention if the small Windbond chip on the bottom right is the BIOS Chip. I believe that's the one but I might be mistaken.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by eduardo11791; 12-06-2022, 11:44 AM.

Re: ASUS STRIX GL703GE Motherboard Issues

Here is also 2 extra pictures one motherboard as a reference (This one has the Chipset Die broken lol).
    Attached Files

Comment

You can't reliable dump nor program the BIOS without desoldering the flash from the motherboard and soldering it onto a dedicated programming board. Clamps often result in corruption.

The board with the back-light issueightnjave just 19V at the display connector missing. I'd start there.
      FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Will then take out the BIOS chips.

Comment

Originally posted by Sephir0th View Post
          You can't reliable dump nor program the BIOS without desoldering the flash from the motherboard and soldering it onto a dedicated programming board. Clamps often result in corruption.

The board with the back-light issueightnjave just 19V at the display connector missing. I'd start there.
          Isn't the LCD panels 3.3V?

Comment

For no backlight issue,start by reading voltage at fuse1
            Attached Files

Comment

For backlight check the enable signal and the main voltage

Comment

Working...
              X