PS 5, Need help locating a connection on motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS 5, Need help locating a connection on motherboard

Hi all, I have a PS 5 (Disc Version) with a shortened rail. I need help in tracing its connection to enable me locate where the damaged component might be.

I have uploaded a High-Res photo of the area on the motherboard of the PS 5 and i have also circled the rail in RED.

I have removed the IC that generates the voltage for the shortened rail but the short is still there. I think it is a 3v rail.

I tried injecting voltage on the rail but can't seem to locate the source of the short, maybe there is a thick wire short somewhere.

Your help in locating it will be very much appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: PS 5, Need help locating a connection on motherboard

it's a mul;ti-layer pcb, it could go anywhere.
    i would check every ceramic capacitor until you find one that looks shorted - then lift it to see if it's the one

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      it's a mul;ti-layer pcb, it could go anywhere.
      i would check every ceramic capacitor until you find one that looks shorted - then lift it to see if it's the one
      I've tried with no luck which is why I am asking for help here. I'll be glad if I can be directed to the area it is connected to. I think somewhere around the WiFi module was getting warm when i tried injecting voltage on the shortened rail but was not hot enough for me to pinpoint the exact location.

Comment

Hello, I had the same line in shorts, the culprit was eccentric on the motherboard. At first I don't think I looked in that area at all. Unfortunately I only took this photo if it can help you locate it (it's really in a corner of the motherboard)

Not sure if this is the culprit but take a look

Good luck

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1667927880
        Attached Files

Comment

Unless there is a specific Capacitor getting very hot during voltage injection, my best bet is the Wifi Chip. The rail with F7002 feeds the Wifi Chip directly with power.
          If you need to remove the Wifi Chip, use hot air from opposite side of the board to avoid melting the plastic connectors. Also a good idea is to protect the board Speaker from heat and melting by using Kapton tape to protect it

Comment

Working...
          X