• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: problem with Delta GPS750AB A PSU. No +5v VSB

TNY280PN datasheet:
    https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...953d6e2eb9.pdf

R1 was 4.33K +5vsb unstable
    replaced with 1K 5V stable, but when soldered back supervisor IC and other smaller board, instantly burned.

It's hard to tell what original resistor was as it overheated (was coated all in resin) the color code read as 4.33K
    Attached Files

Comment

Instead of 1K, I put 1.5K now it burns when starting the PSU with green+black wires shorted.

The PK6E200A diode measures as good, one way O.L the other way 0.516V
      The other small one D5 measures only one way. so it's good.

Comment

PK6E200A diode is a TVS diode Working Voltage: 171 V
        These can't be tested with DMM right?

https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...FymH4LMw%3D%3D

Comment

as long it isn't shorted, it's good. Those are TVS diodes and yours can't be bad. However, maybe you did misread the resistor...
          Take that supervisor IC back out and see if any pins are shorted to GND? Maybe take a lab PSU and give the supervisor IC power and see if it draws excessive current or something.
          Last edited by CapLeaker; 05-01-2022, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Nothing else except the resistor that burns get hot. This is after few minutes being off.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
              Maybe take a lab PSU and give the supervisor IC power and see if it draws excessive current or something.
              supervisor IC Dwa108-A same as TPS5510
              https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair...that-dwa108-a/

Draws 1mA on VCC pin (the VCC is 16V so how can it be related to +5vsb???), 16ma on 3.3pin 38mA on +5Vpin

Why it does not draw any power 1mA on VCC??? damaged?

Comment

I take that back, supply current is specified as 1mA in datasheet. So it's working OK.
                The voltage is same as +5vsb. But the resistor gets burned.

Comment

Either one of two things are issue

One you do not have the right wattage resistor or you have a short or something is wrong with current on that resistor ( or you have the wrong resistance value ) or you have to much current draw on that power supply rail
                  Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-01-2022, 12:02 PM.
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                  10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                  6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                  1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                  25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                  6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply
                  1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                  2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                  All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

400C with removed supervisor IC, so the problem is with ???
                    With 4.33K +5vsb unstable so that's why it does not burn? When there is 5V stable the rapid heating starts and resistor blows, but who could be using the current.
                    Attached Files

Comment

This video shows same chip problem fix
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGS6Y8Z9dAM&t=1259s

The author also mentions the resistor going bad and replaces it.
                      However the resistor is 2Ohm !!!!

The author shows same datasheet and same diagram for TNY280PN.
                      As you know on diagram there is no 2Ohm resistor but 1K

Comment

I did check a few power supplies schematics and I even saw this resistor value down to 10 Ohms.

Comment

I found this schematic that suggests a 1KΩ It may be that the tvs diode is bad.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                            I found this schematic that suggests a 1KΩ It may be that the tvs diode is bad.
                            So multimeter can't test 100% TVS diode, I need to get new one to test?
                            Multimeter measures only one way, so I would say it is OK

Comment

Your TVS diode should read like a regular diode. One end OL which it did and the other way around with a voltage drop of something like 0.6V - 0.7V, which it did too. You could test it with a bench psu that has CC / CV, but again I don’t think that diode is the problem.

While checking schematics for my troubled PSU I did check for the resistor in yours. I came up anything between 10 and 1k Ohms as a value. Others have no resistor in between the diodes.
                              Last edited by CapLeaker; 05-02-2022, 05:06 AM.

Comment

While checking schematics for my troubled PSU I did check for the resistor in yours. I came up anything between 10 and 1k Ohms as a value. Others have no resistor in between the diodes.
                                So the guy putting 2Ohm resistor in video then? 2Ohm is basically short circuit compared to 1K.

Should I just replace the resistor with a wire and see what burns next?
                                Should I remove resistor and inject some voltage to see what get hot?

Comment

OK,

1. I replaced TNY chip with another one.
                                  2. Replaced TVS diode
                                  3. added a 2Ohm resistor (two 1Ohm resistors in series). Tried 1K but it burned.

Now the PSU does not burn the resistor and starts fine. I tested it with 50W light bulb. So the datasheet is wrong about resistor value !!!!!!

Another problem:

There is chirping sound from PSU once every second when I start it with NO LOAD.
                                  Unstarted it is silent and stable 5VSB output.

If I connect 50W lamp, the sound gets faster every half secod.

You can hear it with load attached in file.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by smile; 05-02-2022, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smile View Post
                                    So multimeter can't test 100% TVS diode, I need to get new one to test?
                                    Multimeter measures only one way, so I would say it is OK
                                    The tvs diode is a zener diode, how can you tell using a multimeter, what it is zenering at? 100v? 130v? 200v?

Comment

So the guy putting 2Ohm resistor in video then? 2Ohm is basically short circuit compared to 1K.

Should I just replace the resistor with a wire and see what burns next?
                                      Should I remove resistor and inject some voltage to see what get hot?
                                      No wire. I think they use the resistor as a fuse. Also maybe try 10 ohms.

OK,

1. I replaced TNY chip with another one.
                                      2. Replaced TVS diode
                                      3. added a 2Ohm resistor (two 1Ohm resistors in series). Tried 1K but it burned.

Now the PSU does not burn the resistor and starts fine. I tested it with 50W light bulb. So the datasheet is wrong about resistor value !!!!!!

Another problem:

There is chirping sound from PSU once every second when I start it with NO LOAD.
                                      Unstarted it is silent and stable 5VSB output.

If I connect 50W lamp, the sound gets faster every half secod.

You can hear it with load attached in file.
                                      A chirping of the PSU is usually a shorted voltage rail. PSU tries to start and shuts down. Do some measurements on the high voltage main filter cap and all output rails. See if a voltage rail is missing.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                                        The tvs diode is a zener diode, how can you tell using a multimeter, what it is zenering at? 100v? 130v? 200v?
                                        Somewhere between 150v and 200v is my guess.

Comment

Somewhere between 150v and 200v is my guess.
                                          What I am saying is you cannot determine the zenering voltage of the tvs diode with a meter. It can check ok but what if it is supposed to zener at 180v but is conducting at, lets say 100v it would blow the resistor in series with it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X