Computer fan noise and maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Computer fan noise and maintenance

My hp Icore7 fan is really getting on my nerves , it now sounds like a harley davidson , lol . Around midnight , Some neighbors already complaining , and this is an original and new one . What can i say ? , i told them it is a heater with a powerful fan as it's very cold at nights now .Hey HP , why don't you do something good anymore ? , lool ...

Comment

a pc fan i have has lost a blade do to it falling off my table [it's the same one i use while i'm soldering]

size: 120x25mm

so i'm going to need a new one
      I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

Super glue it!
        I use ATM oil as I said, it works perfectly

Comment

I tend not to use oils. They will always run off or evaporate. For the long haul, a good grease is the only way.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

I can not find the blade at all.

Tho it was a cheap fan anyway. [price 2.58$]

Comment

Lol, my fans, have had that oil for one year, it's still there, working ok

Comment

I have bought fans for 80 cents, and those have lasted a while(5/6 years)

Comment

I'm waiting for the fans at HSC to go on sale again.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                    I tend not to use oils. They will always run off or evaporate. For the long haul, a good grease is the only way.
                    Some people swear by oil, others by grease.
                    I think it really depends on what kind of grease/oil one uses and also the quality.

For grease, I would NEVER use regular grease, as that is the stuff that dries rather very quickly. Good quality Lithium grease (the white stuff typically used on gears), on the other hand, could probably be used and wouldn't not dry in a very long time.

So I think it really depends on the quality and type of grease/oil used.

I personally have cheap fans that are over 10 years old that I oiled with regular engine oil, and they still work fine to this day (no, not in 24/7 operation, as I don't run any of my computers 24/7). The oil in them is not dry yet - I've checked recently.

Comment

Is it possible to fix the clicking sound that's coming from one of my fans.

Comment

If it's a ball bearing fan, then probably not. I have a BB CPU fan that does it and even after I put oil in the bearing, it still does. Also have two other fans with BB, and they are noisy simply because the bearings are very worn - nothing that can be fixed with oil or grease. They just need new bearings.

On the other hand, if your fan is sleeve bearing, then YES, lubing the fan should stop that noise. If the noise persists, you need to fully take apart the fan and clean the sleeve bearing, then put oil or grease in it (again, this will depend on preferences here), then close it back together.
                        Last edited by momaka; 02-02-2017, 06:25 AM.

Comment

How can i tell of it's a ball bearing fan or a sleeve bearing fan?
                          With the fan i have the casing is transparent so i can see the motor inside. I can take photos if you need any.

Comment

Probably a sleeve bearing, put a bit of oil and see if it is quieter.

Comment

What type/brand should i use?
                              This is my first time doing this.

Comment

I use ATF oil or motor oil two drops and it should be a bit more silent, is not going to be like new but it will be better

Comment

Until Topcat and Momaka reach an agreement on what's better , Grease or Oil , i'll order another new fan from HP , ...

Comment

Oil FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                                      Until Topcat and Momaka reach an agreement on what's better , Grease or Oil , i'll order another new fan from HP , ...
                                      Well, it certainly is nice when you have that option.

I had to fix two small fans today - 40 and 50 mm. Both are ball-bearing fans with very noisy and dry bearings. They both spun fine, but the noise they made was terrible. A few drops of oil made them a lot more quiet. Definitely not perfect, but much better than before.

Yes, I can buy cheap replacement fans on eBay, but it would take forever for them to get here and who knows how long they will last. And if I were to buy high-quality fans, that would probably cost more than what the video card and the motherboard these came out of are worth.

So sometimes you have to work with what you have on hand and do your best to fix it right.

Comment

Just fixed and industrial fan with sleeve bearing,
                                        The grease was dry and that made the fan spun sloooooooow, disassemble it cleaned the grease put ATF oil and like new, it didn't have much use so no damages on the bearing

Comment

Do i have to open up the fan to put oil in?

And the blue LED fan i have looks like it had oil/grease in it but it looks like it all dried up.

Comment

Working...
                                          X