Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Norton Internet Security

Originally posted by toastygoodness
    I hate how Norton never completely uninstalls unless you download the Symantec Uninstaller from their website.
    toasty, I do have to admit that I gave up on NIS do nice clean uninstalls - even with the Uninstaller tool. For the last couple of years, I uninstall and then manually uninstall the rest in the registry and anywhere I can find the program. Haven't had any problems doing it this way and the newer version installs great and runs great.

bgavin, I am just a home-end user; so, I guess I better stop at saying that I am happy with mine and it does work for me. I can't imagine what it is like for ITs dealing with the programs on a much larger scale.

Comment

I have used Kaspersky for about ten years and currently support 36 users, only six use the Internet Security Suite and the rest survive well on just Kaspersky anti-virus.

The only problems I have seen are users who have had Norton installed. It was not uncommon for Kaspersky to removal a Trojan or two after removing Norton. That said the 2007 versions of Norton are a lot better. Last year they received a letter listing all their problems from TechRepublic they responded admitting to all the problems and stated they would be fixed in the 2007 release. It does seem to be improved.
      Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
      Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
      160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
      Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
      160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
      Samsung 18x DVD writer
      Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
      33 way card reader
      Windows XP Pro SP3
      Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
      17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
      HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

So...I uninstall NIS (or so I thought) and then some of my default sounds are gone. Replaced by this real annoying ding thing. So...after reading a bit in this thread, I decide to do in and see if there's anything else hiding. Ahhhh...Symantec WMI updater (or some crap like that). I uninstall it. I use REGCLEANER and go in and remove every instance of Norton/Symantec I can find.

A reboot and guess what????? yep...all the default sounds are back. All is right with the world once again.
        "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
        AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

LOL, ya, getting back to stretch's original reason for posting. hehe.

Good to hear that things are looking up stretch - is your computer still buggy in any way? Just curious because I read a post on another board (craigslist.com for Anchorage, AK) about someone that was dealing with the same type of issue. Hmm, that wasn't you posting over there getting practiced up for moving to Alaska was it? ;-).

Comment

Working...
          X