Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEC MultiSync E1100+ display issue

Hey guys,

A while back I picked up three used 21" CRTs. I have two of them set up as dual monitors on my main PC, which has a Radeon x1600Pro with a DVI to VGA adapter on its secondary output and a VGA as primary. Lately, I've had two problems with the right monitor.

First, the screen began flickering, as if the resolution was well below 60 Hz. I checked, and both outputs are supposedly at 85 Hz. Whatever monitor is plugged into it exhibits this problem. Is this an issue with the DVI converter somehow or is the card at fault? I've double-checked to make sure everything's screwed in tightly.

Lately, and more seriously, the right monitor, the E1100+, has started to randomly shrink its display into a 1/4" high, mostly white horizontal line. It's not pure white, in fact, it's what it's supposed to be showing, except vertically compressed. Turning the monitor off for at least 30 seconds and then back on fixes it for a short time. I know it's a problem with the monitor itself, but I have no idea what. I'd like to repair it, but I'm worried about poking around inside a CRT, so I'd like to get an opinion here before I open it up.

Any ideas? Thanks ahead of time.
    You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
    Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Re: NEC MultiSync E1100+ display issue

Nobody? I've got the spare monitor hooked up for the time being, but I'd like to get the NEC working again if I can.
    You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.

Comment

Last time I'm gonna bump this. I'd really like to see it working again...

Comment

look for bad solder joints under vertical output ic
        resolder to be sure.
        if that doesnt fix it replace the ic.

Comment

Yup, reflow all joints that look dull, fractured or have a circular indentation/hairline on the bead. If you have the time and parience, just reflow all joints on the board, and you can expect years of faithful service out of it.

I just reflowed some of the visibly suspect beads on two aging monitors (one is a 20 year old SVGA dual-frequency monitor), and replaced a few common caps for which I had near replacements, and both started working like new. Beats chucking them into a landfill any day.

A few common cap values to keep handy for monitor repairs:

47/200
          100/160
          3300/16
          470/80
          330/63
          1000/35
          100/80
          100/35
          2200/25

Comment

Working...