Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUS S301la - strange picture

Hi all.
    Some time ago I have bought a supposedly non-working laptop for spare parts (mainly case and touchpad) for my other one. The seller said the is no picture (no image and no backlight), but the screen is perfectly fine.
    I turned out it kinda is working, after connecting to external monitor through HDMI port, the picture was there and the system works fine.
    I decided to try and get to the bottom what is wrong with it - and I did, partially thanks to the information and boardview I found on this forum - thank you!
    There was a short on the lcd power circuit and after replacing the damaged component (logic gate) the screen started to work! But not fully as supposed to, see the attached photo.

The problem occurs not only in Windows, but also in bios and on system loading. It seems the screen is not correctly recognized and the laptop doesn't know what resolution it should display (it's 1024x768 in Windows and it can't be changed, the screen itself is 1920x1080)
    Switching the screens with my other laptop (it's the same model, bo differs a bit) doesn't work - this one uses 1920x1080 screen with 30-pin EDP connector, the other one 1280x720 (I think) with 40-pin LVCD connector - switching screen (with cable) doesn't work on either of them (different display signal I guess). I also have second EDP cable, but after switching the problem is still there.

My questions is, what is the most probable reason for this issue? How is the screen identified by the laptop? Is there some return signal that may be missing (I checked for cable continuity and it should be fine)? Is the screen itself can be damaged? Or something else on mainboard? Is the screen incompatible with the laptop (that would also mean it was replaced before selling, but why)?
    Attached Files

Re: ASUS S301la - strange picture

LVDS cable is your problem.

Comment

You mean it's damaged? Or wrong type?
      It's not damaged, I checked all the lines and they're not broken. And both cables I have shows the same symptoms.
      What line is responsible for this?

Comment

what is the model and make of the screen?
        As you said, it might be replaced.

Comment

it's not a LVDS cable problem, it's Edid eeprom (standard 24C02 eeprom ) for the screen should be reprogrammed .

you have to open the screen case and see the model number of the screen to find or create a correct firmware from the datasheet, and flash back the eeprom (don't forget to make a backup first)
          Screen output to reprogram eeprom:
          Pin 4 ---- VCC
          Pin 6 ---- CLK
          Pin 7 ---- DATA
          Pin 16 ---- GND

Comment

The Asus spec page for this model only lists a 1366 X 768 screen.The eDP > LVDS translator is an Analogix ANX1121 ,it supports up to 1680 x 1050 in a single channel.
            All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

The full model number is Vivobook S301LA-DH063H.
              I don't see it on Asus page, but it shows i.e. on Amazon and it seems it really uses 1920x1080. And I think it uses EDP, not LVDS translator (as I said original LVDS 720p screen doesn't show a picture).

The screen is AU Optronics B133HTN01.0 (HW 0A FW1). Is there a way to find out is it the part number used originally?
              I don't really have a way to program a Edid eeprom (kinda newbie here). I guess I would need a programming board and take out the chip? Is it on the mainboard?

Comment

Ok, a educated myself a little about Edid. I found a tutorial how to read/write screen firmware from linux:
                https://www.chalk-elec.com/?p=1905
                I found the correct bus line for the screen and read the data. Then I compared it to the datasheet:

Suprisingly the data was almost completly identical. The only difference was the header (It was all zeroes, where it's usually mostly FFs).
                I've written the binary file as in datasheet and have writen to the eeprom. And then, after reboot...

It's working! :-)
                Thank you all for you help and input. And especially you @kikaro - you insight was spot on!

Comment

Welcome Bro
                  Last edited by kiraro; 03-31-2020, 07:49 AM.

Comment

nice one. i learn something new

Comment

Working...
                    X