X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

LOL!
    That's what happens when you give a screwdriver and a soldering iron to a monkey.
    Last edited by momaka; 09-13-2018, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Well he got half of it right - that trace he patched WAS blown, so the first jumper was perfectly justified, but why he decided to strap the chassis to the mains is beyond me
      Wattevah...

Comment

You should ask him who messed with the TV before.
        Never stop learning
        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
          You should ask him who messed with the TV before.
          He said something along the lines of "somewhere further down the street" from my shop, which filled me with a deep sense of sadness because he hinted it was done by a "shop" and even the smallest most hobbyist possible repair shack should know not to do that...I don't claim MY shop is anything special, but I digress
          Wattevah...

Comment

Winsa PSU, Model: DSE-300P. 300w PC Power Supply.
            Another cheap PSU to add to this thread.
            Label........

Looks pretty normal for a cheap PSU.
            Top Side................

Looks pretty cheap.
            Bottom side............................

Soldering is not the best but it is better than others i've seen.
            Primary Side.....................................

There are no X-Class or Y-Class capacitors.
            There is no Common mode choke or PF coil.
            The rectifier consists of 2 1N5406 diodes and 2 RL205 diodes.
            The primary caps are 2 gun RM 330uf 200v.
            The switching transistors are 2 KSH13007A's.
            The 5VSB Mosfet is an SMK0260.
            Secondary Side...........................................................

The 3.3v and 5v rails use 1 S16C45C while the 12v rail uses 1 STTH1002CT.
            The 3.3v, 5v and 12v rails all use 1 Junfu HK 1000uf 16v capacitor with no PI coils.
            The -12v rail use 1 Junfu HK 470uf 16v capacitor with no PI coil.
            The 5VSB rail uses 1 Samxon GF 1000uf 10v and 1 Junfu HK 470uf 10v capacitor with a coil between them.
            The 5VSB rail uses 1 SB340 diode as a rectifier.
            The Fan..............................................................................................

I'm not sure if this fan is a clone/knock-off as i can't really find any info about this type and the model number is in use by another fan that looks very different from this one.

Overall, this PSU is pretty mich a peice of trash.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Per Hansson; 09-17-2018, 11:54 AM. Reason: Fixed images
            I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka
              Yup, I don't see any pics other than the fan either.
              Please don't use off-site hosts. Nothing worse on BCN than a thread with pictures that have disappeared due to a crappy off-site host.
              For some reason, the attachments all disappeared while i was making the post and i have no idea as to how or why.

And no, i was not using any off-site hosts for the photos, they were all hosted on BCN.

Here are all of the missing photos, i would also nice if i (or someone else) could edit my original post to add the photos, that would be very nice.

(The reason i did not notice the missing photos is because all but the fan photo worked for me for some reason)

EDIT by mods: phptos uploaded in original post.
              Last edited by Per Hansson; 09-17-2018, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Oh my

I kinda wish you didn't upload those pics now - this thing is scary!!!

300W??
                - Not a chance in frozen hell. Even 30W is pushing it too far.
                Funny how the label says peak 330W for 60 seconds once per minute
                I mean, doesn't 1 minute have 60 seconds?? In that case, the PSU should be able to do 330W all the time, right?

Oh man, this thing is frustrating to look at. The soldering and overall build in terms of how things are put together doesn't look that bad. But why such crap undersized components? Just look at that output toroid, for example - it's the tiniest I have ever seen in an "ATX-capable" power supply ever. This thing wasn't made with just cost-cutting techniques in mind. It was purposefully made to be a useless POS from day one.

Perhaps the name of those primary caps suggest what you should use to destroy this POS. (Or if you were me, desolder the output wires and disable the main PSU section so no one can reuse it, then save the PCB for reusing components out of it for small GP projects.)
                Last edited by momaka; 09-16-2018, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyx View Post
                  He said something along the lines of "somewhere further down the street" from my shop, which filled me with a deep sense of sadness because he hinted it was done by a "shop" and even the smallest most hobbyist possible repair shack should know not to do that...I don't claim MY shop is anything special, but I digress
                  And you can guess which 'shop' it was by the firetrucks parked out front...
                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                  -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                    Oh my

I kinda wish you didn't upload those pics now - this thing is scary!!!

300W??
                    - Not a chance in frozen hell. Even 30W is pushing it too far.
                    I mean, doesn't 1 minute have 60 seconds?? In that case, the PSU should be able to do 330W all the time, right?

Oh man, this thing is frustrating to look at. The soldering and overall build in terms of how things are put together doesn't look that bad. But why such crap undersized components? Just look at that output toroid, for example - it's the tiniest I have ever seen in an "ATX-capable" power supply ever. This thing wasn't made with just cost-cutting techniques in mind. It was purposefully made to be a useless POS from day one.

Perhaps the name of those primary caps suggest what you should use to destroy this POS. (Or if you were me, desolder the output wires and disable the main PSU section so no one can reuse it, then save the PCB for reusing components out of it for small GP projects.)
                    Sadly Floston (romanian PSU brand) is the same as this. Had one that came from a S478 P4 machine. Gutted it and reused the wires in a pretty beefy-actual 350W Leadman unit.
                    Main rig:
                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                    16GB DDR3-1600
                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
                      peak power 330w may last up to 60 seconds with not more than one occurence per minute
                      thank you rukycon for posting this. i was looking for a joke of the day and that made my day for the joke of the day! hahaha!

Comment

Had no idea Floshton originated in good ol' Ro TBH Speaking of which, isn't RPC the same story ? I've had a good go with all these cheapy PSUs and they're not worth repairing beyond maybe bulged caps at most...once you start getting into primary stuff, the cost of parts outweighs the value of the whole thing...
                        Wattevah...

Comment

Had no idea Floshton originated in good ol' Ro TBH Speaking of which, isn't RPC the same story ? I've had a good go with all these cheapy PSUs and they're not worth repairing beyond maybe bulged caps at most...once you start getting into primary stuff, the cost of parts outweighs the value of the whole thing...
                          To be honest RPC can be modded a bit - Floston on the other side doesn't even have spaces for PI coils.

Although the only RPC unit I had I did a complete overhaul to it, the original PCB does have space for PI coils, while the Floston I trashed didn't even have spaces for PI coils.

Ironically the same people behind RPC units actually manufacture the high-end nJoy units, and the built quality ratio between RPC and nJoy is absurd. RPC is basically the bottom of the barrel (like L&C for example) and nJoy is the high end line (a step above Allied units).

For the record, my main PC (Xeon X5450) runs on a RPC 500W unit that I sneaked a repaired nJoy unit inside, which led to a complete overhaul:

-original crappy 12cm fan replaced with clear red LED Deepcool fan
                          -bypassed PPFC coil and instead completed the input filtering (where the PPFC coil originally went)
                          -installed an additional PCB filtered AC receptacle from a dead Enermax unit
                          -recapped most of the ChengX with PCE-TUR caps from the Enermax (I am aware this is NOT a good idea at all, but I plan on stocking some Rubies sometime in the future.)
                          -replaced blown 1000uF Fhy units with 820uF 200v (not sure on the voltage, may be 250V actually) primary caps
                          -replaced whole primary side (2x blown 2SK3320 and standby switcher) with working parts (2x M13009 and wokring stby switcher from a defunct (ripped traces) Delux unit)

It powers my main Xeon X5450 machine just fine, and barely gets warm in any situation.

Floston on the other hand just sucks on levels that set new records of gutless.
                          Main rig:
                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                          16GB DDR3-1600
                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                            For the record, my main PC (Xeon X5450)
                            Hey I too run an X5460 Digressing from the original topic of the thread, yeah, but I just had to point that out My workmates used to make fun of me for running that, but I was loud and proud
                            Wattevah...

Comment

RPC is basically the bottom of the barrel (like L&C for example) and nJoy is the high end line (a step above Allied units).
                              So now we consider Allied units high end? What the heck has happened to this world!

-bypassed PPFC coil and instead completed the input filtering (where the PPFC coil originally went)
                              You do realize that the PPFC coil provides both filtering and power factor correction (kills two birds with one stone).
                              Last edited by momaka; 09-17-2018, 01:21 PM.

Comment

It could be (just a hunch) that he omitted the PFC booster entirely and went straight to the bridge rectifier and bulk caps....speaking of which, I always wanted to do this experiment: it's dangerous, silly and best of all you can get electrocuted ! YEEY ! Bypass PFC: 230v comes straight off the wall, reaches around 325v with caps and all...would that be enough to make a PSU run ? There's probably a sense line in there somewhere to prevent this, otherwise even faulty ones would continue to run with no PFC...unless some modding is done to them which is useless and you'd probably be better off fixing the PFC unit entirely
                                Wattevah...

Comment

That means, in theory, this thing should be able to output 330W all the time (which is impossible due to the poor design).

Oh man, this thing is frustrating to look at. The soldering and overall build in terms of how things are put together doesn't look that bad.
                                  When i first opened this thing up, i thought maybe it could have been OEMed by CWT based off the green transformers and the Junfu capacitors (both things i've seen in CWT units) but i'm not sure how much CWT wants to have their name next to brands like L&C and Allied so chances are, it might be made by someone else.

This thing wasn't made with just cost-cutting techniques in mind. It was purposefully made to be a useless POS from day one.
                                  Very true, My Rhino "450W" PSU looks beefy in comparison.
                                  Looking at it now, i think the Rhino and Winsa PSUs were made in the same plant.

I think i'll have to go with using this thing for parts as that's what i do with a lot of my electronics.
                                  Last edited by RukyCon; 09-17-2018, 02:15 PM.

Comment

It could be (just a hunch) that he omitted the PFC booster entirely and went straight to the bridge rectifier and bulk caps....speaking of which, I always wanted to do this experiment: it's dangerous, silly and best of all you can get electrocuted ! YEEY ! Bypass PFC: 230v comes straight off the wall, reaches around 325v with caps and all...would that be enough to make a PSU run ? There's probably a sense line in there somewhere to prevent this, otherwise even faulty ones would continue to run with no PFC...unless some modding is done to them which is useless and you'd probably be better off fixing the PFC unit entirely
                                    We are talking about Passive PFC (PPFC) here, though. PPFC does not boost voltage. Dan just removed the PPFC choke, which is essentially a large coil whose inductance cancels out some of the capacitative load on the primary side of the PSU, thus bringing up the overall power factor. In addition to that, the large inductance also functions as a large single-mode EMI/RFI choke. It's pointless to remove it.

... so chances are, it might be made by someone else.
                                    Probably. I don't think even CWT's lowest-end units to be that bad (though some can come close).

I think i'll have to go with using this thing for parts as that's what i do with a lot of my electronics.
                                    Same here. No good part goes to waste with me.

Comment

Oh you're referring to those "transformers" often bolted to the chassis of the supply and wired to the board via a header...yeah, I need a refresher on SMPSs BADLY
                                      Wattevah...

Comment

You do realize that the PPFC coil provides both filtering and power factor correction (kills two birds with one stone).
                                        Given it was one of the cheaper units out there, thr PFC choke could very well been fake. That, and my friend specifically asked me to bring the choke to him so he could reuse the copper wire.

And yes, going by how much components are installed, Allied is actually Deer's high end line, with L&C being the bottom of the barrel, and of course Deer itself which is in the middle.
                                        Main rig:
                                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                        16GB DDR3-1600
                                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Hello, I share these photos of this PSU Be Quiet Pure Power L8-CM-530W 80Plus Bronze, which I took from a Spanish forum, the photos belongs to bmdm (he granted me permission to publish his photos), I do not say the name of the forum to avoid spamming.
                                          The fact is that this source ERL39 burned the coil, how is this possible? I had never seen anything like it.
                                          Its owner, began to realize that the source began making strange noises, after a while the system was turned off, and came a moment that began to give errors on the HDD, and eventually stopped working.
                                          Attached Files
                                          Gaming pc:
                                          nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
                                          Workshop PC:
                                          Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
                                          Server:

Comment

Working...
                                          X