Clear All

Re: New tool to find short capacitors on motherboards : shorty with display

I'm still interested at that price
    Follow me on YouTube
    ------------------
    Learn Electronics Repair
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

sounds good - i may need a few.

Comment

Originally posted by kripton2035 View Post
        it seems I will be able to ship a letter with a pcb inside for EUR 5 all around the world without tracking, and 8-9 EUR with tracking. more expensive than china of course but still reasonable.
        That's not bad at all. Last I checked it was a lot more.

BTW, will you (or can you) post a STEP file from that render you made? I could get working on designing a 3d-printed enclosure. In regards to an enclosure, some mounting holes would be nice, looks like the board is already going to be drilled for the DIN, though I don't know if that requires a bit change and will increase the BOM. Might be nice to have the USB port on the nano closer to the edge for easier access, but I don't know if you have traces running on that side of the board. Unbolting the case to upgrade also isn't that terrible of an outcome. + and - would also be nice on the silkscreen for the 9v connector.

The other thing I'm thinking of is how best to mount the LCD, it sits back a bit on the board in relation to the other components, but it could be attached with ribbon cable and mounted off the board.

Can't wait for this, it's a tremendous innovation. Interested bare pcb or populated.

Here's two of my designs
        https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4126979
        Note on this one how I thinned out the wall to allow USB access.
        https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4249306

I don't know if this tool would be best standing up or laying down (like your case) on the bench though. What do you think is an ideal probe cord length, the shorter the better? Is there an advantage to being able to put the device next to the work?

Comment

the pcb is not final in size... I'm thinking of adding one pad with a 1Ω resistor to calibrate easily. but it will be defined soon. yes the oled seems difficult to put nicely into a case. I've never seen a 0.91" oled nicely fitting in a case ! that's why I am now not focusing at all on a 3d printed case. I would leave the pcb alone.
          Last edited by kripton2035; 03-05-2021, 12:15 PM.

Comment

I've never seen a 0.91" oled nicely fitting in a case
            Challenge accepted.

But yeah, it's major for you just to put out the hardware, leave the cases to others.

Comment

making a clean hole is always a challenge, but mounting is easy.
              just put a block of packaging foam behind it to gently press it against the front.

Comment

here is the freecad file of the imported pcb.
                please note that this is not the final pcb.
                have fun.
                Attached Files

Comment

here is the freecad file of the imported pcb.
                  please note that this is not the final pcb.
                  have fun.
                  Yeah, I understand changes will probably be made, but most of the components will be the same, etc. I can start thinking about it. My best designs take a while to kick around some different ideas...

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                    i got 10 last time.
                    they are used on gotek floppy-simulators. ]
                    Being not only a retro gaming fan (Spectrum, Atari, Amiga, ...) and Arcade [MAME] but also in hardware,
                    can't hope wondering where did you use all those gotek floppy emulators
                    [This made me recall the amazing, @ the time, in midle 90's, i think,
                    Iomega Zip drives with much greater capacity and performance :]

Comment

i put some in amiga's, one in an arcade system, and i have a few loose ones for testing stuff.

Comment

@kripton2035:
                        just to clarify before i order any more,
                        your pcb is for a NANO?

Comment

yes look at the freecad file some posts above
                          https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...t=arduino+nano

Comment

or with micro-usb
                            though for some reason it has a huge 12MHz crystal in the picture!??
                            https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32292945241.html

Comment

or with micro-usb
                              though for some reason it has a huge 12MHz crystal in the picture!??
                              https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32292945241.html
                              Micro USB is and always has been pretty terrible. Granted, the USB port won't be used on this much, but still. The micro-usb nano looks pretty non-standard to me, I'd stick to something more mainstream. I'd get the blue 328 or the 328p. Pretty sure all mine are the 328 version, though IIRC the 328p is a little better in some what that I don't remember.

Comment

i always go for the biggest memory.
                                i may try this project on a bluepill - 80MHz 128k flash
                                the advantage of having stuff just sitting here is i can try such stuff
                                waiting for the postman to deliver my Raspberry-Pi PICO btw.
                                no idea what i want it for, but for under €4 i had to have one!

Comment

the total compiled project size is actually around 20k, so a 128k will be more than too much.

Comment

i put some in amiga's, one in an arcade system, and i have a few loose ones for testing stuff.
                                    Thanks

waiting for the postman to deliver my Raspberry-Pi PICO btw.
                                    no idea what i want it for, but for under €4 i had to have one!
                                    Me neither, but for that price (assuming shipment to Europe included), i must have one too
                                    Would u mind share the link?
                                    Last edited by megaraider; 03-07-2021, 05:00 PM.

Comment

RS, free shipping when you spend 30 or more.
                                      so i just added it to a big cap order.

4us$ is the official price, so you should find it for about €4 anywhere that actually has stock.
                                      and that's the tricky thing - every time a new pi gets released they never have enough!!
                                      https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/raspberry-pi/2122162/
                                      https://www.reichelt.com/gb/en/raspb...o-p295706.html
                                      Last edited by stj; 03-07-2021, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the share @stj.

Comment

i always go for the biggest memory.
                                          I'd think the speed might help, but maybe not, I haven't read the code, but I rarely run out of ram or flash on these small devices.

Raspberry-Pi PICO
                                          https://www.raspberrypi.org/products...pecifications/
                                          >Dual-core Arm Cortex-M0+ processor, flexible clock running up to 133 MHz
                                          Ugh. Now I have to deal with threads on a tiny mcu. I think I'll pass on this one for a while, I'm pretty bought into the stm32 ecosystem. Speaking of which, I think this was recently released, it's a version of the blue pill with stm32f4 processor, usb c, and space for a flash chip on the underside. I might grab a few.
                                          https://docs.zephyrproject.org/lates...doc/index.html

Comment

Working...
                                          X