Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung UN55KS800DFXZA Ver. AA02 with the seemingly common power cycling problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung UN55KS800DFXZA Ver. AA02 with the seemingly common power cycling problem

Sorry, you have thermometer not ir cam..

Check this: https://youtu.be/CVsmwFAkf7I

Comment

Re: Samsung UN55KS800DFXZA Ver. AA02 with the seemingly common power cycling problem

I see, I need to heat up the chip to get the solder to flow onto the pads that I can't access directly. I will give that a shot.

Comment

You can take a pair of side cutters, warm the chip up with your soldering iron and try to snip the top off it as if you were trying to decap the chip (removeing the top layer)
        Then with the plastic package mostly broken you should be able to get to and heat the rest of the bits to desolder them.

Comment

I was thinking along the same lines, but my mind went to my Dremel with a cutting wheel...but that's a bit more sketchy on collateral damage...

Comment

No you.dont.need to warm the chip, you must warm the terminals with a big boob of solder,, you must wait a bit because it there can be a glue under.

Comment

A big boob of solder?...ok...Well now it's gettin interesting.

Comment

I found my cheap soldering iron that I bought when I couldn't find my soldering equipment. It had a set of tips, one of which was a angled flat tip. I was able to heat up the chip enough to melt the existing solder and remove the diode array. Then cleaned it up with a wick and alcohol swab. I now have it plugged into a surge protector. This is the result! As an SF Giants fan, never been so happy to see Clayton Kershaw on the mound.

Thanks to everyone who helped me through each step, and getting me past my presumption that all power cycling issues were the same when I thought that I had isolated the issue to the mainboard.

My next project is an old Dell Latitude laptop with a dead screen...

Attached Files

Comment

Yep Kilroy nailed it, another fine save, nice job and good teamwork.

Comment

Everybody who responded pushed me a little further into diagnosing and fixing the problem. So thanks to all.

Comment

I wonder if it will be ok down one diode array.

Comment

My understanding is that it is for ESD protection.

Comment

Glad you have it sorted now. I posted the datasheet of the diode array so you could replace it if you want.
                          Little tip on these sets, turn the back light down about 15-20%,reduce the brightness and contrast down a few percent. Those 2 resistors that showed the pulsing will thank you.
                          Enjoy.

Comment

Sometimes even with those protection diodes the surge reaches the delicate part of screen and nobody can save it, so to.protect it better it was good to replace the diodes.
                            Blob not boob, maybe boob is a tit?

Comment

I saw that. I'll look at that when I believe that I can install one without messing it up.

I'll turn it down a bit when I figure out how to get the remote working again. It powers the TV on and off, but nothing else seems to work at the moment so I'm going to pair it to the TV again and see what happens.

Comment

So backlight and brightness were both below 1/2, but contrast was 100%. I dropped contrast down 15%.

I'll order the part and look into installing it. Maybe I can practice on a junk board first.

Comment

I don't know how an high contrast can ruin a screen...

Comment

Originally posted by Davi.p View Post
                                    Sometimes even with those protection diodes the surge reaches the delicate part of screen and nobody can save it, so to.protect it better it was good to replace the diodes.
                                    Blob not boob, maybe boob is a tit?
                                    Yep, I'd replace it just to be safe and try to protect all the work you just went thru.
                                    Last edited by nomoresonys; 10-21-2020, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoftwareHack View Post
                                      So backlight and brightness were both below 1/2, but contrast was 100%. I dropped contrast down 15%.

I'll order the part and look into installing it. Maybe I can practice on a junk board first.
                                      I set my un55 backlights on 7, that's as low as I can put up with.

Comment

I hope that some virus takes away some unuseful idiots from this site..
                                        Last edited by Davi.p; 10-21-2020, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Davi.p View Post
                                          I hope that Corona virus takes away some unuseful idiots from this site..
                                          Boy howdy...ME TOO. SPECIALLY the smartass PUNKS, that are WRONG WAY MORE than they are right...like the ones who thought this was a ccfl lit tv.
                                          Last edited by nomoresonys; 10-21-2020, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X