Are these older style Sanyo Poly's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these older style Sanyo Poly's?

Pulled these from an AGP graphics card so maybe 2001 or so. They test fine with 0.00 ESR. Just curious. I assume Poly because no vent marks for expansion.

Attached Files
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Ryzen 3600x
    16GB Patriot 3600MHz
    MSI B450 Gaming Plus
    MSI Air Boost Vega 56
    Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
    Rosewill Capstone 750W
    Hakko FX-888D Station
    FX-8802 Iron
    MG Chem .8mm 63/37 RA 2.2%

Re: Are these older style Sanyo Poly's?

Relevant: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=86837
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 10-11-2020, 04:38 AM. Reason: Add www to URL
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

very old polymers - check the uf because it does decay on the old blue and purple sanyo's

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        very old polymers - check the uf because it does decay on the old blue and purple sanyo's
        I did check them, within 10% and ESR was 0.00
        Ryzen 3600x
        16GB Patriot 3600MHz
        MSI B450 Gaming Plus
        MSI Air Boost Vega 56
        Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
        Rosewill Capstone 750W
        Hakko FX-888D Station
        FX-8802 Iron

Comment

Oscons?
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
            Oscons?
            Yes sir.
            Ryzen 3600x
            16GB Patriot 3600MHz
            MSI B450 Gaming Plus
            MSI Air Boost Vega 56
            Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
            Rosewill Capstone 750W
            Hakko FX-888D Station
            FX-8802 Iron

Comment

Curious what graphics card you pulled them out of and was it working.

Just beware that some old GPUs like the GeForce 3 and 4 series sell for crazy prices online right now. Sell one like that and you can afford to buy almost a bucket of new poly caps.

Just FYI.

Comment

i'v not seen oscons on gfx cards.
                loads on old intel server boards though.

Comment

It's from a crappy AGP graphics card, It wasn't anything special. Yellow PCB, tiny little fan. I can look again when I get home. It's sitting in the scrap board box now.
                  Ryzen 3600x
                  16GB Patriot 3600MHz
                  MSI B450 Gaming Plus
                  MSI Air Boost Vega 56
                  Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
                  Rosewill Capstone 750W
                  Hakko FX-888D Station
                  FX-8802 Iron

Comment

Oh, I've seen them on plenty of old nVidia cards from the GeForce 3 / 4 / FX era (and equivalent Quadro.) It varied a bit between who the card was made for, but I have at least one GeForce 4 TI 4600 card here with those OSCON caps (I think it's one of my dead ones - those tiny stock coolers on the TI4400/4600 overheat and eventually kill even the wire-bonded GPU die used on these cards.)

Originally posted by jayjr1105 View Post
                    It's from a crappy AGP graphics card, It wasn't anything special. Yellow PCB, tiny little fan. I can look again when I get home. It's sitting in the scrap board box now.
                    That's because back in the day of early AGP, video cards simply didn't have the crazy heat dissipation like they do nowadays (or even compared to the generation that followed - i.e. Radeon 9700/9800 and the GeForce FX 5800 "dust buster".)

Sounds like you have an ASUS or PixelView board by that PCB color. Whichever the case, those OSCONs were expensive caps then, so I would be surprised if this is some low-end card like an MX 420 or Riva TNT64 or MX4000. Sounds more like you have a GeForce 3 on your hands or maybe GeForce 4 TI 4200 if the card's PCB is fairly small. On the other hand, if the PCB is fairly long (for that period of video cards anyways), it may be a TI 4400 or 4600.
                    Last edited by momaka; 10-12-2020, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                      Curious what graphics card you pulled them out of and was it working.

Just beware that some old GPUs like the GeForce 3 and 4 series sell for crazy prices online right now. Sell one like that and you can afford to buy almost a bucket of new poly caps.

Just FYI.
                      and to think I have one of these sitting in my storage
                      Attached Files
                      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

^ For a second, I thought you re-posted a picture of my Leadtek GF TI4400, but then I realized I never posted it on BCN. (I guess that's another one to cue on my list of stuff to post, lol.)

You may want to get rid of the GSC / Evercon caps on it before selling it. That's how I got mine for cheap a few years back. The 40 mm fans were also extremely noisy with dry bearings. I've nearly fully restored it (needs a few temp caps replaced that I filled with old used caps) and it's a great retro AGP card. Runs a lot cooler than the stock cooler that comes with most TI 4400/4600.

You won't get 3DFX prices for it. But depending on the supply/demand at any time, they still usually go for $30 at a MINIMUM... and most of the time around $50 or more.

*EDIT*
                        Here is an example of how much one TI4600 is going for right now:
                        https://www.ebay.com/itm/GAINWARD-Ge.../284041423579?

**EDIT 2**
                        I think I'm hijacking the thread with the video card discussions. Sorry about that, I'll give it a rest.
                        Last edited by momaka; 10-12-2020, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Asus AGP-V7700/32M Rev 1.01

Ryzen 3600x
                          16GB Patriot 3600MHz
                          MSI B450 Gaming Plus
                          MSI Air Boost Vega 56
                          Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
                          Rosewill Capstone 750W
                          Hakko FX-888D Station
                          FX-8802 Iron

Comment

^ Ah, GeForce 2 GTS. That's another classic I forgot about. Not as rare/sought after as the GeForce 3 and 4 series, but a good oldschool card nonetheless, especially if you ever plan to build an early Windows 95/98 era gaming PC. It may not have Glide support like the VooDoo GPUs, but it does beat a VooDoo 5.
                            https://www.anandtech.com/show/648

Anyways, sorry again, I'll stop with the GPU discussion sidetracking, I promise.

Comment

ah, i see. its a gf2 gts gpu most likely. can still sell for a small tidy sum online.
                              Attached Files

Comment

loads on old intel server boards though.
                                IIRC, I have. They were likely common on GeForce 4 Tis.
                                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                  ^ For a second, I thought you re-posted a picture of my Leadtek GF TI4400, but then I realized I never posted it on BCN. (I guess that's another one to cue on my list of stuff to post, lol.)

You may want to get rid of the GSC / Evercon caps on it before selling it. That's how I got mine for cheap a few years back. The 40 mm fans were also extremely noisy with dry bearings. I've nearly fully restored it (needs a few temp caps replaced that I filled with old used caps) and it's a great retro AGP card. Runs a lot cooler than the stock cooler that comes with most TI 4400/4600.

You won't get 3DFX prices for it. But depending on the supply/demand at any time, they still usually go for $30 at a MINIMUM... and most of the time around $50 or more.

*EDIT*
                                  Here is an example of how much one TI4600 is going for right now:
                                  https://www.ebay.com/itm/GAINWARD-Ge.../284041423579?

**EDIT 2**
                                  I think I'm hijacking the thread with the video card discussions. Sorry about that, I'll give it a rest.
                                  It is a 4600.

But if you want to talk retro, I also have a working Voodoo 5 5500 that TC has been trying to get his hands on for weeks

I have a TNT2 M64, worth anything lol (it's not)

Comment

I just looked and it's the A250 Ultra. 4600 128m

I appearently already recapped some of it years ago and didn't remember. Some were polymers.

Comment

Working...
                                    X