Unknown Capacitor Brands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown Capacitor Brands

Two of my threads with unknown capacitors were left unanswered, so I decided to start this thread.

If anyone has seen an unknown brand of electrolytic capacitor, pleas post it here!
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Unknown Capacitor Brands

A few that I haven't seen mentioned here: Yageo, Samwha (probably Samsung), DST (probably an OST knockoff, as unbelievable as that sounds), Rifeking.

Only the Samwha (220uF/400v/85c) from an IBM G74 monitor seems to be bulging and bad - the others are in unknown condition.

The Rifekings (1000/6.3) were seen on a GeForce FX5200 card, with no apparent problems. I replaced them with Rubycons as a pre-emptive measure, since this is on my main desktop.

Comment

Yageo are a reputable manufacturer of SMT ceramic capacitors that Digikey and Mouser carry. No idea they made lytics. DST is found on Soltek boards, Rainbow has some pics on this forum. Rifeking are found in network hubs. Samwha are what Samsung sold their lytics division to. DST, Rifeking, and Samwha are known crap.
      The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

Yageo should be good - I've seen only a couple of them but all OK.
        DST is older than OST (at least I think) - maybe it's the same crap just with changed name.

Comment

So if choosing between normal 85° standard Yageo and 105° Samwha (both 1000uF/35) - it's better to use Yageo?

Comment

Yageo are a reputable manufacturer of SMT ceramic capacitors that Digikey and Mouser carry
            Yageo owns Teapo

So if choosing between normal 85° standard Yageo and 105° Samwha (both 1000uF/35) - it's better to use Yageo?
            for what purpose though? for several use, the low esr is an important benefit. better to use something like teapo if you are looking for low cost and low esr rather than 85oC caps.

personally i am only using japcaps because anything i am repairing is either mine and i would like it to offer reliable service or not mine and someone is paying me to do it so i dont want it to come back, or it is mission critical office equipment.
            capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I intend to use those Samhwa in audio - regulated PSU's for preamps, etc ...

Btw - according to specifications found on the Net - 1000uF/35V WD Samwha has very similar specifications as much more regarded Rubycon ZL - I just wonder - is it possible to believe to those datasheets?

Comment

I would not even consider it... Rubycon is FAR more reputable IMHO... Personally I'd go with a Rubycon, Panasonic, UCC/Sanyo data sheet over the "other guys" data sheet, even if the "other guy" were giving away their components for free... Why risk it?
                Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

I also ussualy go with Rubycon or Panasonic - but those are here only via special order - certainly asap delivery somewhere in the beggining of next week - and I needed those caps on today/tomorow basis ...

The Q here is: does anyone here have bad experineces with Samwha (eg WB series)

Primoz

Comment

Not I, I'm spoiled, Nichicon, UCC/Sanyo, Rubycon, Panasonic... all of them are readilly available to me.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

well i am in the EU too. i would rather wait a week to have my repair done with japcaps. i am sure your client would also if was informed properly.

Comment

hi,

it was not a repairment - but making a prototype that couldn't wait ...

Btw - the stuff won't be used for computer repairment - and the environment of my specific application is far more "friendly" - normal temp, no high current draws but aprox. a constant load of the PSU, etc ...
                        We'll see what will happen after some time

Comment

Prototype is different than finished product, if it was temporary then yeah maybe, BUT... what if you run into a problem with the prototype? is it the design or is it the cheap component?

Always good to start at a "known good" point... helps out in the long run.

Comment

Yes - but still - why e.g. Samwha can be declared for a bad component - if specifications from datasheet are truth - then this capacitor is very good ...

So what can get wrong?

I mean - don't understand me wrong - I'm not trying to convince you/us, it's better to use some no-name brand as respectable highly regarded one - but - in datasheet it stands that specs are VERY good - how highly trusted can this info be??

Btw - my aplications are psu's with linear regulation and almost constant current draw - I think in those circumstances I can survive also with less-known brands - or am I totaly wrong?
                            Thank for opinions!

Comment

how highly trusted can this info be??
                              difficult to say unless a third party lab certifies it. problem is how long the caps will remain on spec.

I think in those circumstances I can survive also with less-known brands - or am I totaly wrong?
                              it is a better environment than a motherboard so i would expect more success

Comment

For linear regulator circuit it isn`t that importatn to have best low esr caps. Just take 2 or more in decent size and it should last even with not that good ones (for 50hz filtering 4700uf are optimal size, but a lot of 2200uf will be as good).
                                I personaly belife, that the datasheets will accurate enough, the only thing is as alway if they last longer. In this respect, even TEAPO are very good at the beginning, but if they detoirates the problems come.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo0815
                                  For linear regulator circuit it isn`t that importatn to have best low esr caps.

I personaly belife, that the datasheets will accurate enough, the only thing is as alway if they last longer.
                                  Hi,

OK not at the input - but at the output of the regulators - low esr capcaitor is quite essential.

Well - again - I was also wondered by stated life-expectancy of Samwha - 5000h ...

That's why I asked myself - is it possible that this capacitors (they cost 6 times less then Rub ZL) has same specs as ZL?!?

Comment

Hello, this is my first post in this forum so I hope I've placed it in the correct section

Unfortunately I'm no stranger (either) to the dreaded el-cheapo capacitor plague, cutting my teeth on JPcon, Jackson, GSC, G-Luxon & recently Fuhjyyu (Antec PSU) I harbour a fondness for 'less-than-cutting-edge' technology, and often find myself aquiring pre-loved computer related components.

I live in the South Eastern region of Australia, and sourcing good components has at times proved to be a challenge, (with 6.3v items almost impossible) my latest brand is neither listed in your good nor bad capacitor listings (hence why I posted to this thread)

Hitano @ http://www.hitano.com.tw/

Has anyone had any experience with this producer before?
                                    Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Samwha had their own capacitors earlier, which weren't very good (I've seen bulging failures). In 2002 or so, they acquired the Samsung Electrolytic manufacturing lines - and these are supposed to be better. However, I don't recollect any low-ESR, 105c, high-endurance series specifically for PSU/motherboard use.

I haven't seen failed Hitano yet, but then again, I haven't seen *any* Hitano on motherboards. I'd give it a pass if any of the Japanese majors are available - Nichicon / Chemicon / Rubycon / Panasonic / Sanyo.

Comment

Thanks, I'll be using Rubycon where I can... but RS-online (AUS) doesn't stock a complete selection in the low-ESR 6.3~10v series, namely the 2200uF/1000uF 10v so often used in the circuitry of motherboards, at least I suppose I can get the 'odd' 1200uF 10v (Rubycon)
                                        Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Working...
                                        X