APC Back-ups RS 1500 Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

APC Back-ups RS 1500 Dead

Hello to all! I just got the ups shown in the title, with dead batteries. To test it, i put a volt meter and saw that it can charge batteries with no problem (gives 27v), so i bought two identical CSB batteries and waited. The batteries have gone up to 28.8V (normal value), however the ups is completly dead. Caps do not show any sign of damage nor the rest board. Without the battery it won't even buzz as it mentions in its manual.

Any suggestions on where to begin? Ty!

Re: APC Back-ups RS 1500 Dead

Is the battery fuse in-tact?

Comment

Which one? APC shows 2 -completely- different RS 1500's. One tall & thin with LED's as indicators. The other has a screen and digital display showing voltage, load, and battery charge.

Display is dead yet it's charging?? Sounds like the power supply to the brain or a fuse. Not familiar with these units. Can we see some pictures of the board(s) and wiring?

Find your documentation here:

http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=13&subid=5

Toast
      Attached Files
      veritas odium parit

Comment

It is the tall and thin one! Here are the photos

Hope you don't mind that i upload them at imageshack

Comment

Please check continuity across both 40A (car) fuses.

Comment

I do mind. ImageShack deletes at times and they'll do no one any good as a future reference.

I attached them here for you.

Please use the "Go Advanced" option and attach images. The "actual" sizes of your pics would raise havoc with the board and others who are on lower speed connections. They must download each picture which is burdensome to their connection and device.

I processed each through a Paint program and reduced the file size from 4+ mb to <1mb each.

That, coupled with the fact that yours are not links to ImageShack, just thumbnails.

A better link to your documentation. Please follow that and make sure it's done right:

http://www.apc.com/products/resource...=documentation

Completely dead - no indicators at all, correct?

Also, make sure the batteries are wired together correctly.

Toast
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Toasty; 12-16-2010, 05:22 PM. Reason: Info updates
            veritas odium parit

Comment

Oh i am sorry i must mixed the links. Thanks a lot for re uploading them! I have already checked the fuses, and also the diodes arrount the charging circuit seems to be fine.

Comment

np

Did you push the circuit breaker to reset it?

I don't think the charging circuit is having a problem. Try this: unplug the batteries for a few minutes then measure their voltage. Then reconnect them and check their voltage while connected. If it's even a touch higher, chances are the charging portion is working.

Check that ribbon cable from the main board to the front panel. Sometimes they can get pinched or flexed too much and break a wire. Disconnect the batteries and AC and check their continuity with an ohmmeter.

Please answer: "Completely dead - no indicators at all, correct? "

Did you get the manual and go through the steps?

Do the "Transfer Voltage and Sensitivity Adjustment" and see if it goes into Programming mode. Don't change the setting. This is just a test to see if it is working. Reverts to non-program mode if no button pressed in 5 seconds.

Toast
                veritas odium parit

Comment

Hello again! I read the manual and did everything as mentioned. The ups still does nothing. It won't get into programming mode. I have tried it many times but nothing happens. The circuit breaker is ok so is the ribbon cable. As for the charging circuit, it's working ok too.

Comment

Again, everything disconnected.

Check the black cylindrical device I have circled in the picture for continuity. It appears to be a fuse marked F4A. If it's open, we'll need to find out why.

If fuse is good, it's time for some Live voltage measurements - Reconnect everything. Remember that there is mains potential on the board and not to touch anything on the board while the unit is plugged in -AND ALSO- if the batteries are connected.

Flip the board over and measure the voltage across the capacitor circled in green. Take note to set your meter to DC and the voltage scale to one that includes the voltage marked on the cap -or higher-. Negative (black) lead goes to the post marked with the stripe on the body of the cap.

Report what you find please.

Toast
                    Attached Files
                    veritas odium parit

Comment

Hallo Tosty i am new in forum i need schematic of APC800 HIgh frequency double convertion inverter use in ckt MCU ST72324J/K, SG3525,LM339,LM358,
                      ACT08.
                      THANKS.

Comment

Then you need to open a new thread and not hijack someone else's. Schematic's are proprietary and not available.
                        veritas odium parit

Comment

The fuse is fine and the capacitor measures ~300v

Comment

That is good. You'll have to continue working through the circuit to find where there is a loss of power. Without the board to hand, it is very difficult for me to walk through the circuit. You'll have to identify components to see what they do. Also, some of the IC's are proprietary to APC so there will be little to no information on them.

All of the little silver can caps are opportunities to measure voltage as they are surface mounted. Be careful not to short against the metal can with your probes while measuring. All the other sleeved caps will need to be done from the underside. If there is a missing voltage, these are the best way to get into the general area. Refinement can come later.

Do any of the relays click?
                            No LED's at all?
                            Is there a fan? Does it even try to spin?
                            veritas odium parit

Comment

Hi again. No toasty, nothing at all. There is a fan but it is completly dead.

I forgot to tell you that i am using the 220v version of it (i don't know if it makes any difference in the A/C part).

Do you have this ups? Can i give you some pictures to ask you to measure the current there?

The white Rely (at the A/C part next to the 2 black ones) is the component i can't understand whether it is good or not. Here is its datasheet http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datashe...68-24-2CE.html

This one is the 8 contact version.

From the downside it looks like ths

1 2 3 4
                              5 6 7 8

(there is a huge space between 3 - 4 and 7 - 8 but it won't show in the forum)
                              The 4 and 8 pins are the 700Ohm DC coil, which meters ok.

The 1 and 5 pins are the A/C input pins.

The 2-6 and 3-7 from what i understand output 230v when there is 25v on the 4-8 pins.

4-8 pins point ~25v when connected to ground individually (4 & gnd / 8 & gnd).

1 and 5 when tested together point 230v, which is ok.

2-6 and 3-7 are dead. BUT! When they are individually tested with Phase or Neutural, they produce about 110v.

So either i need to refresh my psu testing skills or this relay seems bad to me.

I hope you can follow my post
                              Last edited by AquaSonic; 12-21-2010, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Relay is DPDT type. Readings are fine.

Voltages checked on can caps?
                                veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                                  That is good. You'll have to continue working through the circuit to find where there is a loss of power. Without the board to hand, it is very difficult for me to walk through the circuit. You'll have to identify components to see what they do. Also, some of the IC's are proprietary to APC so there will be little to no information on them.

All of the little silver can caps are opportunities to measure voltage as they are surface mounted. Be careful not to short against the metal can with your probes while measuring. All the other sleeved caps will need to be done from the underside. If there is a missing voltage, these are the best way to get into the general area. Refinement can come later.

Do any of the relays click?
                                  No LED's at all?
                                  Is there a fan? Does it even try to spin?

Unfortunately the BR1500 series is plagued with board problems. It's a very common situation.

Would it make sense to just go and buy one used without the batteries to save you the time trying to fix it?

The BR/CS/ series of APC UPSs have tons of board problems.

Comment

Where is this information from? Personal experience?
                                    veritas odium parit

Comment

dont forget fires.i have one of the black 1500's with the lcd.it stinks like burning plastic.have not opened it but i suspect its a cheap pile of junk like the cs.hard to beat the old heavy metal apc units.these new cheapies are no good for extended runtime with external batteries.no real heatsinks and a timer in the firmware.
                                      Originally posted by Bubbanacious View Post
                                      Unfortunately the BR1500 series is plagued with board problems. It's a very common situation.

Would it make sense to just go and buy one used without the batteries to save you the time trying to fix it?

The BR/CS/ series of APC UPSs have tons of board problems.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                                        dont forget fires.i have one of the black 1500's with the lcd.it stinks like burning plastic.have not opened it but i suspect its a cheap pile of junk...
                                        Guess they had to cut costs elsewhere to cover that LCD...
                                        Nothing like this todays trend of maximizing profits by supposedly "quality" brands.
                                        Like new CX-serie PSUs from Corsair... or this PC P&C UPS:
                                        http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory4&reid=159

Comment

Working...
                                        X