X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AT&T sucks

And I guess I'm not the only one with this problem:
    http://forums.att.com/t5/Internet/DS...s/td-p/2018421
    I'm considering getting Comcast Cable internet. Is that a lot better?

Re: AT&T sucks

Yes, switch to cable.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Cable doesn't exist around here. It's either Dial-up/56K, Satellite (which is also quite slow), Mobile/3G (around 6Mb/s, but can get congested), and ADSL (up to 20mb/s depending on your plan). I have ADSL, which is up to 20mb/s but since there's a good distance between our house and the exchange, I get around 14mb, which is plenty fast enough, with a 25GB bandwidth limit.

In any case, it sounds like either a line or filtering problem, not necesarily a problem at the ISPs end.
      Last edited by c_hegge; 09-22-2011, 11:32 PM.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Over here we have a service where you input a different user/pass for the PPPoE account that you buy from a company. It cost only $10 a month and you get unlimited bandwidth.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

@mockingbird: nah I got a 150GB/month limit.
          @c_hegge...20GB/month?

It's definitely a problem with AT&T. They haven't upgraded nodes/servers/all that crap for a long time now, and they keep adding new customers to their DSL. Of course, the connection is fine when there is no congeston.

I think they're trying to kill off their DSL stuff, so we all switch to U-Verse (which is faster internet combined with TV), unforunately that isn't available in our area.
          Of course, it's just probably all the neighbords streaming Netflix/pr0n but it should still be fixed!

Edit: now it's 6:35AM and I'm getting a little over 2Mbps...Maybe it's not working right...

Comment

Please try a real short telephone cord. You can get one at a RadioShack.

And reboot the modem.
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I'll try my 6" one...But it was literally working fine until the evening yesterday.

Comment

It's not just you, I have the same problem usually in the evening the internet slows down to a crawl. That and the new bandwidth caps are really pissing me off. The 'rents used to pay $15 a month and we got a very steady 1.5Mbps and unlimited bandwidth back around 2006 or so before the sbc/at&t merger. Now they are paying $25 and we get shit speeds with a 150GB cap.

U-Verse is a pile of dog feces too, my friend has it at her house and she's had two of the set-top boxes die on her already. It's finicky, the channels are not in HD, and I can never figure out the weird motorola remote when I try to watch TV at her place.

FUCK at&t.

Comment

All I can say is the Internet sucks for you guys in US.

I'm paying here about 20$ for 100 mbps downstream / 6 mbps upstream through cable, without bandwidth limits. And I do reach those speeds pretty much any time.

Comment

Comcast here. It's really fast, even on the base package of Internet + basic cable.

I just got done helping a friend with their connection... They have the full package from Comcast with phone and digital cable and had really awful DL speeds and frequent hangs.
                    It ended up being their Netgear router.

An Airport Extreme fixed it really well. Now theirs is even faster than mine!
                    You might want to try a different or maybe no router.

I've had nothing but really awful service with ATT. It's a shame because some of my friends work there and both my mother and grandmother worked for them.
                    The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                      All I can say is the Internet sucks for you guys in US.

I'm paying here about 20$ for 100 mbps downstream / 6 mbps upstream through cable, without bandwidth limits. And I do reach those speeds pretty much any time.
                      Maybe in Bucharest... What about the rest of Romania... I think Borat filmed his stuff there... Many primitive villages...

Comment

I'm not living in Bucharest but I do live in another big city.

Borat filmed in a village with about 80% Roma people (gypsies) living there. He also tricked them telling them it's a play and act like they're stupid and stuff like that...

There are quite a few villages like that but I guess that's what you get for not sending all gypsies to Hitler's crematories, unlike other countries like Poland and Hungary.... see http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article....uleId=10005219

There are some villages that are poor and look ugly but the population there is only old people that still live with the food from their back gardens and whatever their chicken/cows give them. Those don't care about Internet.

Other than these special cases, even the smallest towns usually have adsl/vdsl from what was the telephone company - even there you can get 1-2 mbps.

In the worst case, about 95% of the territory has some sort of 3G - there's about 5 cell phone companies with Internet plans competing - there is for example plan for up to 7.2 mbps with fallback to 256kbps when you go over 5GB of traffic for about 10-15$ a month.

Comment

There are quite a few villages like that but I guess that's what you get for not sending all gypsies to Hitler's crematories
                          I think your statement just proved that ALL Romanians are primitive in one sense or another...

Comment

I think you're probably missing the sarcasm.

I've worked for about a year with a Canadian company doing video interviews with Jewish people that were in concentration camps - my job was to do the subtitling for the video tapes. So indirectly, I've learned quite a lot about how gypsies and Jewish people were treated at those times - gypsies were treated even worse than Jews.

I'm not racist towards gypsies or Jewish people or any kind of people - it's just the reality that Romania and few other countries around it protected a bit or just tolerated the people that in other countries were sent to concentration camps. It wasn't perfect, some were sent to Syberia or other parts of Russia and died due to cold but still...

Now the same European countries use the gypsies or Romanian nationality begging on the streets as a political tool to win elections. France is the perfect example - complaining about Roma beggars while Moroccan and Tunisian immigrants are stealing from cars and raping women.

Comment

Ah, sorry... Yea, the sarcasm was lost on me...

Don't forget about the Slavs... Certainly you can't compare the Romanian behaviour to that of the Heroic Serbs, who fought side by side with the Jews against the Ustasi.

The Gypsies run some really sophisticated drug running... but it pales in comparison to the drug distribution dynamism of the Croat/Bosnian Moslem alliance and their Christian allies. (Luc Besson, a French or Belgian director, made a good movie about this, it's called "Taken" with Liam Neeson).

Regarding your theory that the filming was done with Gypsies...

I've seen many different varieties of Gypsies... Those looked caucasian to me... I'm not making any insinuations but those Romanian "Gypsies" must have mixed quite a bit with the native Dacheans...

Also:
                              The Running Of The Jews...

They seem to be quite involved with this... Also, I have seen an earlier version of a "Running Of The Jew" where it was filmed from a distance and definitely seemed that it was organized by the villagers and not an outside influence... This jives with the beliefs of the primitive, Greek-Orthodox Romanians, not Gypsies. The Gypsies probably distrust and dislike the Jews, but Greek-Orthodox Romanians loath Jews (Don't deny it).

The only other explanation for the "Running Of The Jew" is that they really filmed it in Kazakhstan....

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose
                                @c_hegge...20GB/month?
                                used to be 20, but thy increased it to 25. I think it's around $50/month
                                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

OMG!!! can we please discuss lousy internet companies in this thread not concentration camps?
                                  thanks

Comment

I have U-verse at my dads house and its pretty sweet. We had one set top box kind of fail, when the power goes out in our neighborhood, it flashes on and off about 3 or 4 times. This put one of our boxes in recovery mode where it had to redownload it's firmware from at&t and then it was back up and running no problem. I like that each one is also a single port router. I have the one in my room hooked up to a switch.

Comment

If I just want internet (no phone or TV) should I go with comcast? I mean it would cost me more and I hope they even agree to sell me internet because I'm 16, but I am seriously considering it. I guess I will see how tonight's call to att goes and if they give me the typical run-around BS...

Comment

Current pricing for Verizon DSL (3.0mbps down/512kbps up) is $49 per month (after taxes, etc). Bear in mind this is a stand-alone service, no regular phone service, no bundling.

FiOS is at least 3 years out for where I live, IF the local municipalities break their 'contract' with Comcast. Basically, the 'agreement' is Comcast will be the sole TV provider except satellite or over-the-air. Verizon can offer voice and/or internet but NO video service.
                                        Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

Working...
                                        X