An inflexibility with Wi-Fi Protected Setup: band selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An inflexibility with Wi-Fi Protected Setup: band selection

On handheld and media devices, I found an inflexibility with Wi-Fi Protected Setup (PBC and PIN), which is band selection, which means you cannot manually select the 5GHz band with less interference in some cases.
    When you select one of your networks used by a dual-band router, you cannot use Wi-Fi Protected Setup in some cases.
    Also, when you use Wi-Fi Protected Setup, it does not allow the selection of band (2.4GHz/5GHz) in some cases, which means it locks onto the band with the strongest signal on your dual-band router when Wi-Fi Protected Setup is used on it.
    If I make dual-band wireless routers, I would include separate Wi-Fi Protected Setup buttons and PIN numbers (as well as separate PIN entries in the setup menus) for each band to address this inflexibility.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: An inflexibility with Wi-Fi Protected Setup: band selection

what kind of "handheld and media devices" are they? android has no problems neither does my IPAQ that runs linux.
    Last edited by goontron; 07-15-2013, 09:35 PM.
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Why not just use WPA2?

Comment

Yeah. The WPS function actually doesnt give you any chance to change parameters. But it does seem to work pretty well when you try and set it up with a device which supports the WPS function. Not all devices support it. I played around with several devices with the WPS function. Most of them work fine. But there are some devices still trying to catch up with a good firmware version. I found most of the information from https://1080community.com.au/topic/4...-wps-function/

Btw, they are also running a promotion on the site IF you are interested in a kaspersky key for 2014.

https://1080community.com.au/?app=forums&ext=E239

Comment

WPS is also vulnerable to brute forcing due to a design error, it can be broken in around 4 to 12 hours which allows the WPA2 key to be retrieved. Only way to stop it is to turn off WPS.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

With regards to devices auto choosing the 2.4Ghz connection over the 5Ghz connection which is usually better. What I normally do is setup the 2.4Ghz wifi and the 5Ghz wifi with exactly the same settings except for the SSID. Many devices will allow you to choose the preference of wifi connections, so you can make a device 'prefer' connecting to the 5Ghz network over the 2.4Ghz network. By separating the two wifi networks, you do not rely on the device making a 'decision'...(it probably just chooses the connection which is first in its list anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by shadow View Post
              With regards to devices auto choosing the 2.4Ghz connection over the 5Ghz connection which is usually better. What I normally do is setup the 2.4Ghz wifi and the 5Ghz wifi with exactly the same settings except for the SSID. Many devices will allow you to choose the preference of wifi connections, so you can make a device 'prefer' connecting to the 5Ghz network over the 2.4Ghz network. By separating the two wifi networks, you do not rely on the device making a 'decision'...(it probably just chooses the connection which is first in its list anyway).
              You could also just turn off the transmitter you don't want to connect to, connect with WPS, then turn the transmitter back on.

Whenever I setup a dual band router I always make the SSIDs the same, but add "-5GHz" to the end of the 5GHz SSID. It just doesn't make sense to have two access points with the same SSID.

Comment

Am I the only person here that's still on 802.11g and has never used WPS?

Comment

Originally posted by cheapie View Post
                  I run into a couple people a year that still have _B_ routers with WEP, although it's been over a year now since I've seen one.

Also the Actiontec Verizon FIOS Routers don't due WPS even though they have a WPS button right on the front, so there's at least a few million others out there who've never used WPS. I find it useless unless you run into a wireless printer that won't let you type in the WPA/WPA2 key, otherwise I usually don't bother. WPA on an Airport is retarded, you have to use the Airport Admin utility to initiate the connection. WTF, com-mon Apple add a damn button!

Comment

I have only recently upgraded to 802.11n.
                    However I have never used WPS. I find that it has no use for me. I know how to setup a router from scratch and don't need an automated process.

Comment

Nope I never use wps either!
                      As for wireless G, maybe, I'm using AC now with beamforming tech.

Comment

WPS is horrible IMO... i mean its good but i just memorised my wifi key, its actually faster (my key is the default one with my router, just letters and numbers)

Comment

When I was looking for instructions for performing a factory reset on my friend’s D-Link DSL-2544N dual band ADSL modem, I came across something quite useful to solve an inflexibility with Wi-Fi Protected Setup (of course, band selection) for this model: pressing and holding the WPS button for 5 seconds initiates a connection session via Wi-Fi Protected Setup only for the 2.4GHz band; pressing this button for 5-10 seconds initiates a WPS connection session only for the 5GHz band.
                          I think having separate WPS buttons (each labelled with their band e.g. 2.4GHz N, 5GHz AC1, 5GHz AC2) for each band/radio is a good idea, given that some devices (especially media devices) do not allow you to explicitly select the band (2.4/5) or SSID for connection with WPS.
                          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

UPDATE: A NetComm NF8AC has separate WPS buttons for the 2.4GHz N and 5GHz AC - my idea of addressing the inflexibility of band selection with WPS has been fully adopted!

Comment

Working...
                            X