Würth Elektronik Electrolytic Capacitors Official Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Würth Elektronik Electrolytic Capacitors Official Thread

Not a lot of information out there on this German company's electrolytics. They have a family of seven different types:

WCAP-ATG8: General Purpose, standard temperature
    WCAP-ATG5: General Purpose, wide temperature
    WCAP-AT1H: Long Life, wide temperature
    WCAP-ATET: Long Life, very wide temperature
    WCAP-ATLI: Low Impedance, wide temperature
    WCAP-ATUL: Low ESR, Long Life, wide temperature
    WCAP-ATLL: Low Impedance, Long Life, wide temperature

They generally sell at lower prices than their Japanese competitors. This would be a good place to discuss personal experience with the product. I have an upcoming recap job on a Yamaha cassette deck and I have ordered Wurth caps for the job. I will follow up when complete.

Re: Würth Elektronik Electrolytic Capacitors Official Thread

Just as a comparison, I have put together a Wurth to Nichicon cross reference:

ATG8 --> VR
    ATG5 --> VZ
    AT1H --> PV
    ATET --> BT
    ATLI --> PJ
    ATUL --> ?
    ATLL --> PW

Comment

the poly's are cheap too.

Comment

I've always wondered about Wurth caps myself. I've been seeing them get advertised a lot on Digikey lately, along with other non-cap products they make.

That said, I still trust the old Japanese brands more than anything else. Though recently I noticed that many of them have moved production to China. For example, I just got some Nichicon HE not too long ago all of which had a COO (Country Of Origin) as China. Let's hope the Japanese are keeping a close look on those Chinese factories.

Comment

Well, I completed my re-cap job with the Wurths. Everything went fine and unit is working great. We'll see how things go from here, but I've used a lot of Wurth products in the past from automotive to electrical and have never had any issues. What I do know is that the job cost 1/3 less than going with similar Nichicon caps.

Comment

Good!

Keep us posted (if possible) if anything happens with them. It's always good to have a bigger list of known good caps to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by Electone View Post
              Well, I completed my re-cap job with the Wurths.
              Did you use the WCAP-ATUL series?
              I was looking at using some Wurths in a power supply recap...
              Do you think the WCAP-ATLL or ATLI series would be good enough where the ATUL is not available?

Comment

Wurth are re-branded Taiwanese caps. Probably either Lelon or Teapo.

Their polymers are also probably re-branded Taiwanese. Taiwanese polymers are of adequate quality compared to Chinese polymers, which should usually be avoided.

I hope to address that in a seperate thread in the future. Lelon makes pretty good polymers, but their electrolytics should be avoided. I would also avoid Wurth electrolytics.
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Cap View Post
                  Did you use the WCAP-ATUL series?
                  I was looking at using some Wurths in a power supply recap...
                  Do you think the WCAP-ATLL or ATLI series would be good enough where the ATUL is not available?
                  I used the ATLL series which is, I believe, comparable to Nichicon PW.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                    I've always wondered about Wurth caps myself. I've been seeing them get advertised a lot on Digikey lately, along with other non-cap products they make.

That said, I still trust the old Japanese brands more than anything else. Though recently I noticed that many of them have moved production to China. For example, I just got some Nichicon HE not too long ago all of which had a COO (Country Of Origin) as China. Let's hope the Japanese are keeping a close look on those Chinese factories.
                    That's because of chinese manufacturing policy. Basically importing anything to that country makes it very uncompetitive which is a problem if you are electronic component manufacturer and maybe some 70 % of the world production is in China On the other hand building a fab and manufacturing there (what's exactly the goal of da government) has so many advantages.

But that does not mean the japanese fabs do not run, even though most Chemi-Cons I source come from China and Indonesia, I still get some from Japan directly. Usually the newest high-voltage series or some special ones (like the D10x40 KZNs).
                    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                      But that does not mean the japanese fabs do not run, even though most Chemi-Cons I source come from China and Indonesia, I still get some from Japan directly. Usually the newest high-voltage series or some special ones (like the D10x40 KZNs).
                      Have you seen Kemet electrolytics for sale recently? Or Vishay for that matter?

We need to start testing these two companies by using them in repairs... We know nothing about their quality.

...or we'll end up with something like Epcos -- a trash brand everyone believes is on par with Japanese caps.
                      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

vishay is Philips ..or is it other way round ?

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                          vishay is Philips ..or is it other way round ?
                          Who knows.

We need to find out more about Illinois, CDE, Vishay, Kemet, Tecate, etc...

Vishay could be manufacturing one thing in-house but then sub-contracting electrolytics to someone else.

Kemet caps were really well-priced at one point... But without any info, they should probably be avoided. And their cap datasheets need tables. Heck, if the Chinese can do it, then so can they.

Comment

I find lot of bad IC in old UPS where others (Panasonic, Chemi-Cons etc.) are usually still good, that makes it untrustworthy enough for me. Plus their insane MOQ as you know, they can stick that to their hole.

I do not trust Vishay too, they bought everything from old trusty brands to some crap fabs and who knows what the quality standard is. Plus the blowing rectifiers in the HP displays (was it 3065 or something like that?). Vishay is only last resort for me when I am shopping for something special, when nothing else is available.

Kemet should have good film and ceramic caps. But after all, I have good enough lytics from japanese companies, why should I look elsewhere? ALL these mentioned brands are always second or third when it comes to new series with better volume capacity. So they offer nothing I would need.
                            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                            Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Würth Elektronik operates production plants in Europe, America and Asia. More than you expect!

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                                Würth Elektronik operates production plants in Europe, America and Asia. More than you expect!
                                Rubbish.

Their foil is Chinese/Taiwanese (read: inferior)

Their electrolyte is also inferior. Since when has a European company produced something on-par with a modern Japanese cap? The business model of researching electrolyte formulas to compete with Japan wouldn't make sense at this point. The cost would be enormous.

What does make sense is that they are probably importing raw goods from China and having them assembled in Europe.

Big deal. They should be avoided.

Comment

I believe IC buys capacitors from a 3rd party factory and puts their name on them.
                                  The reason i believe that is because i have some newer IC brand capacitors and they look a lot like Samxon capacitors, i also have some older IC brand capacitors and they look a lot like Jamicon capacitors.

Würth electrolytic capacitors, i will only use them in low-stress applications until they can gain my trust. (Note i will only use them in my own electronics)
                                  Last edited by RukyCon; 10-25-2017, 12:49 PM.
                                  I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
                                    I believe IC buys capacitors from a 3rd party factory and puts their name on them.
                                    The reason i believe that is because i have some newer IC brand capacitors and they look a lot like Samxon capacitors, i also have some older IC brand capacitors and they look a lot like Jamicon capacitors.

Würth electrolytic capacitors, i will only use them in low-stress applications until they can gain my trust. (Note i will only use them in my own electronics)
                                    I bought a primary IC cap a few years ago and it arrived slightly bloated and the sleeve was poorly shrunken on (sorry about the poor picture quality):

If that ever got past Japanese quality control, it would result in a harakiri at the factory.
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by mockingbird; 10-25-2017, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                      I bought a primary IC cap a few years ago and it arrived slightly bloated and the sleeve was poorly shrunken on (sorry about the poor picture quality):

Photos of crappy IC cap.

If that ever got past Japanese quality control, it would result in a harakiri at the factory.
                                      IC seems to be a mixed bag when it come to quality control.

Also your capacitor looks like it could be a relabeled Jamicon or Lelon which would not be a surprise as both Jamicon and Lelon are not very good at making good electrolytic capacitors.
                                      Last edited by RukyCon; 10-25-2017, 01:37 PM.
                                      I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
                                        IC seems to be a mixed bag when it come to quality control.

Also your capacitor looks like it could be a relabeled Jamicon or Lelon which would not be a surprise as both Jamicon and Lelon are not very good at making good electrolytic capacitors.
                                        When you say relabeled, do you mean fake or subcontracted?

Because this was purchased straight from Newark. In fact, they're still selling it:

http://www.newark.com/illinois-capac...tor/dp/69K7936

Comment

Working...
                                        X